Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

University challenge

(161 Posts)
Georgesgran Tue 16-Aug-22 16:16:34

Jeremy Paxman has announced he’s leaving UC after almost 30 years. I suspect his Parkinson’s is now a factor.
Who would GNs like to see take over, or do you think this programme has run its course?

Smileless2012 Tue 16-Aug-22 16:19:42

Stephen Fry would be excellent. Never liked Paxman, he always came across as condescending and let's face it, he only knew the answers because he had them in front of him.

grannydarkhair Tue 16-Aug-22 16:32:45

I’m ambivalent about JP, yes he can be condescending but I’ve also heard him be full of praise for individual team members over the years. I’m astonished that it’s almost 30 years he’s been doing it, I still remember Bamber Gascoigne with fondness.
I think Dan Snow would be good, he’s intelligent and well educated, always comes across as a genuinely nice man. He’s also easy on the eye ?

Ilovecheese Tue 16-Aug-22 16:33:14

We still love the programme. I thought Paxman was o.k. but I hope they choose someone who doesn't make the programme all about them, so I suppose I would like somebody relatively unknown.

grannydarkhair Tue 16-Aug-22 16:39:27

Meant to say, I definitely don’t think it’s past its sell buy date. It’s a haven of intelligent viewing amongst a sea of mediocrity (at times). I still enjoy adding up my points, although I have to admit I don’t get nearly as many as I used to, too much science for me most of the time.

Baggytrazzas Tue 16-Aug-22 17:09:35

I love it, get into trouble for shouting out the answers throughout. I sometimes get quite a lot correct in the early rounds but my score falls away as the series progresses.

I don't mind who takes over, as long as they have some credibility.

Esmay Tue 16-Aug-22 19:36:16

Another vote for Stephen Fry .
He's interesting intellectual and a nice guy .

And how about Scarlet Moffat ?!
No not really , but I do like her as sweet and down to earth so she'd be great presenting a programme .

MissAdventure Tue 16-Aug-22 19:37:45

Kathy Burke.

welbeck Tue 16-Aug-22 19:42:32

eddie mair

MissAdventure Tue 16-Aug-22 19:45:58

I think Jo Brand would be a good candidate.

Deedaa Tue 16-Aug-22 19:46:50

I shall be sorry to see Paxo go. He was very good at saying what I thought! I read that the BBC have already chosen his successor, I do hope they aren't going to be re-imagining or popularising it.

AGAA4 Tue 16-Aug-22 19:47:41

Richard Osman?

MissAdventure Tue 16-Aug-22 19:50:48

Lee Mack.
smile

Grandma70s Tue 16-Aug-22 19:52:32

Samira Ahmed. It’s likely to be a woman.

I don’t find Jeremy Paxman condescending or “making the programme all about him”. I like him, and of course he has the answers in front of him. He’s not being tested himself.

I like Stephen Fry very much, but he would probably be a bit too much the centre of attention. Not his fault, but he’s rather noticeable.

MissAdventure Tue 16-Aug-22 19:53:54

I've been fryed to death at times.
You can have too much of a good thing.

Callistemon21 Tue 16-Aug-22 20:18:55

AGAA4

Richard Osman?

Yes, I think he'd be good host of UC.

I liked Bamber Gascoigne and Paxie did mellow a bit over the years.

Callistemon21 Tue 16-Aug-22 20:20:40

MissAdventure

I've been fryed to death at times.
You can have too much of a good thing.

Not for me either, I liked him in some parts he's played but find him rather unctuous as a host of quiz programmes.

Dinahmo Tue 16-Aug-22 20:27:47

I'm sorry that Paxo's going but noticed during the last series that his speech was slightly impeded. I think Richard Osman would be good, or Eddie Mair.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 16-Aug-22 20:32:57

Vanessa Feltz - Cambridge educated etc., I think she would be perfect

MissAdventure Tue 16-Aug-22 20:34:53

It would be nice to break away from the small list of potentials.
What about old whatsername?

Married to the bloke out of Peepshow.

Callistemon21 Tue 16-Aug-22 20:38:59

MissAdventure

It would be nice to break away from the small list of potentials.
What about old whatsername?

Married to the bloke out of Peepshow.

Oh, goodness, she can't take anything seriously!!

Anyway, who would present Only Connect? (Hope it's coming back)

MayBee70 Tue 16-Aug-22 21:38:00

University Challenge is the highlight of my week when it’s on. It became part of my surviving lockdown strategy. I’m sorry that Paxman is leaving it. I wonder if they’ll feel that a woman should present it now? Maybe if Victoria continues with Only Connect her husband should do University Challenge. Whoever does it needs to be able to commit to many years of it though. Clare Balding seems to be able to turn her hand to pretty much anything and I do like her. It’s just difficult ( and sad) to imagine anyone other than Paxman doing it. I’ll be pondering on this all night now.

Lucca Tue 16-Aug-22 21:38:14

AGAA4

Richard Osman?

I was just about to say “anybody but Osman “ We already see too much of him. Far too lightweight.

Paxman is brilliant.

Mapleleaf Tue 16-Aug-22 21:41:53

It’s time for a woman to host it.

Esmay Tue 16-Aug-22 21:42:51

I loathed Paxo .

I wonder if Alexander Armstrong or
Victoria Coren Mitchell could host it .