Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Judi Dench and Louis Theroux

(39 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 02-Nov-22 10:00:14

I really enjoyed this interview last night. I could have listened to the two of them nattering and gently teasing eachother for much longer than the hour long programme. Judi has a wonderful, self deprecating sense of humour and a constant twinkle in her eye.

I do wish though, with her failing eyesight, she'd ditch the fashion of draping a long, wide scarf over one shoulder. When she was walking through the trees hanging on to Louis, it was almost trailing on the ground. So easy to trip over! shock

It's a fashion I've never understood but beloved of Jenni Murray, Dawn French, Caroline Quentin and other celebs who are getting on in years. If it's supposed to make you look slimmer, it doesn't and all that scarfage dangling down one side of me would make me feel uncomfortable. What do you do with it when you go to the loo?

Having said that I do love her style. She always looks effortlessly classy.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 02-Nov-22 10:03:31

I loved the interview, she still has a twinkle in her eye.

lixy Wed 02-Nov-22 10:08:27

It was a super chat - would highly recommend finding it on i-player if you missed it.
I was on my way to bed when it started, but so glad I watched it to the end.
Such a refreshing change from the nit-picking of politics.

merlotgran - I'm not a great fan of long scarves either, but each to their own I guess.

Grandma70s Wed 02-Nov-22 10:21:58

I’ve never been much of a fan of Judi Dench I don’t like her little-girl voice, which sounds the same in every part. I enjoyed this programme though, especially the parrot!

I wonder what Maggie Smith would be like in a programme like this?

Grandma70s Wed 02-Nov-22 10:23:32

My cousin sat next to her at a dinner, and said she was very entertaining.

Grandma70s Wed 02-Nov-22 10:24:14

Judi Dench, that is.

Namsnanny Wed 02-Nov-22 10:29:23

On BBC was it?

tanith Wed 02-Nov-22 10:45:35

BBC2 i did notice her ankles were quite puffy but she is entertaining.

MayBee70 Thu 03-Nov-22 23:04:49

Grandma70s

I’ve never been much of a fan of Judi Dench I don’t like her little-girl voice, which sounds the same in every part. I enjoyed this programme though, especially the parrot!

I wonder what Maggie Smith would be like in a programme like this?

Did you see that programme where all of the Dames got together? It was great fun.

Calendargirl Fri 04-Nov-22 07:28:14

I’m with Grandma70s, find Judi Dench rather irritating and think she’s overrated as an actress. Treated as a national treasure now she’s well in her 80’s, as are others.

Having said that, I shall try and watch it on catch up.

I agree about the flowing scarves, obviously meant to detract the eye from expanding waistlines. I could never carry one off, but they all seem to manage it.

I also watched the ‘Dames’ programme, which is where I started feeling annoyed with JD. Her little girl laugh and ‘oh, no idea why I keep getting all the best parts for older actresses’ cry.
Maggie Smith, although supposedly a huge mate, was rather scathing in a humorous way, and stated flatly it was because JD’s agent pushed in ahead and got first dibs on the choicest parts.

Sparklefizz Fri 04-Nov-22 07:30:28

Where can I find the "Dames" programme mentioned please.

notgran Fri 04-Nov-22 07:32:11

It was a super programme. She seems genuinely a lovely person. A Quaker, loving Mother and Grandmother, plus she doesn't seem to take herself too seriously. Highly recommended.

Quokka Fri 04-Nov-22 07:47:49

‘…over-rated as an actor…’. Can’t agree

I’ve seen her in many roles, several Shakespearean. Always IMO a thorough professional.

Retread Fri 04-Nov-22 07:58:49

grin scarfage grin (in the OP) - what a brilliant word.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 04-Nov-22 08:05:06

I enjoyed it too, but was also annoyed with the scarf, plus it looked so thick and warm, maybe a light weight one would have been better ?
Louis certainly seems to get the most from his interviewees. I liked the fact that the house was courtesy of ‘Utterly Butterly’ !

VB000 Fri 04-Nov-22 08:50:00

I think she's a brilliant actress and would love to meet her, for her sense of humour.... Missed the first part of this but enjoyed the banter between her and Louis Theroux.

Luckygirl3 Fri 04-Nov-22 09:17:50

I hate Louis Theroux and his faux innocent style - gets under my skin. I have read his autobiography and his pretence of sweetness was a real pain. He is an intelligent man who knows how to present a particular persona.

But it was lovely to see Judi Dench, although her eyesight deterioration is sad. When she was on stage with Giles Brandreth, she was stunning when she segued into Shakespeare - mesmerising. Definitely her forte.

MayBee70 Fri 04-Nov-22 09:22:23

Sparklefizz

Where can I find the "Dames" programme mentioned please.

It’s called Nothing Like a Dame but unfortunately it isn’t on iplayer. Maybe, because of this programme they’ll repeat it again. It was great fun.

MayBee70 Fri 04-Nov-22 09:33:49

Luckygirl3

I hate Louis Theroux and his faux innocent style - gets under my skin. I have read his autobiography and his pretence of sweetness was a real pain. He is an intelligent man who knows how to present a particular persona.

But it was lovely to see Judi Dench, although her eyesight deterioration is sad. When she was on stage with Giles Brandreth, she was stunning when she segued into Shakespeare - mesmerising. Definitely her forte.

I watched part of a one person show that Miriam Margoyles did on Sky Arts and, as with Judi Dench she would just reel off long monologues at the drop of a hat. I think I learned about two Shakespearean speeches when I was at school and that’s my lot. How people can learn and remember whole plays is beyond me.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 04-Nov-22 09:57:20

Judi Dench said that she has a Photographic Memory, I suppose that means that she always remembers the lines as well?

GrannySomerset Fri 04-Nov-22 10:07:00

Loved the programme and have been a JD fan since seeing her play Juliet opposite John Stride many decades ago. But the thing with actors is that you never really know who they are - and perhaps they don’t know either.

Blinko Fri 04-Nov-22 10:12:14

Re long, trailing scarfage, I believe Isadora Duncan was also a fan...

Grandma70s Fri 04-Nov-22 10:17:23

I find memorising words really easy. It’s just a knack some people have and others don’t - luck of the draw. Not that it makes me an actress, though I’d love to be one.

Namsnanny Fri 04-Nov-22 12:18:31

I became a fan decades ago, like grannysomerset
Before she became the nations favourite.
I have an old cd which has lots of different well known actresses portraying Lady Macbeth.
For my taste JD performance is way and above the others.
But that's the thing about good actors. They all bring something different to a role.
I remember Jane Lapotaire and Helen Mirren from the cd, but there were others.

Hiraeth Fri 04-Nov-22 12:32:42

I thought the interview was lovely. Judi is very witty and looked beautiful especially with her scarf .Very classy