Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Judi Dench and Louis Theroux

(40 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 02-Nov-22 10:00:14

I really enjoyed this interview last night. I could have listened to the two of them nattering and gently teasing eachother for much longer than the hour long programme. Judi has a wonderful, self deprecating sense of humour and a constant twinkle in her eye.

I do wish though, with her failing eyesight, she'd ditch the fashion of draping a long, wide scarf over one shoulder. When she was walking through the trees hanging on to Louis, it was almost trailing on the ground. So easy to trip over! shock

It's a fashion I've never understood but beloved of Jenni Murray, Dawn French, Caroline Quentin and other celebs who are getting on in years. If it's supposed to make you look slimmer, it doesn't and all that scarfage dangling down one side of me would make me feel uncomfortable. What do you do with it when you go to the loo?

Having said that I do love her style. She always looks effortlessly classy.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 04-Nov-22 12:47:55

Oh dear I am guilty of a scarf

In the summer especially in hot countries I always have a fine cotton or linen one which I can use as a cover up and in the winter I have several from The Travel Wrap Co. and other outlets which are used to drape or wrap depending on circumstances.

Lucca Fri 04-Nov-22 13:02:48

Both my son and my
Bloke said it was the best hours TV they had seen in a very long time
I love her clothes style and she’s a marvellous actress

LadyHonoriaDedlock Fri 04-Nov-22 14:17:09

It's worth having a look at the young Judi Dench in 1968 as Sally Bowles in the original London production of Cabaret (before the film ruined the show for ever). It's on YouTube.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2bqujq1Qxs

If you only know the film you won't recognise that song because it was cut and replaced with Mein Herr. Judi's Sally Bowles is Christopher Isherwood's fragile London girl scraping a living in a Berlin cabaret, a million years from the sassy, belting American Sally of the film. Judi can sing a bit in a way that's appropriate for the role.

Joseanne Fri 04-Nov-22 15:00:28

I enjoyed it, I think Judi Dench comes across as rather playful and a bit mischievous. I have scarves like hers. I remember I came home with a soaking end of a scarf once having driven through a ford on holiday. It made me think to be more careful after.
DGodD worked with Judi Dench on a film about The Windmill. During rehearsals she said the room always lit up when JD walked in and her twinkly eyes put everyone in a good mood. Apparently she was very generous with her acting advice.

Luckygirl3 Fri 04-Nov-22 16:53:03

So sad that her twinkling eyes are failing her ..........

Atqui Sat 05-Nov-22 20:39:51

Jenny Murray wears a scarf on one side because she has had a mastectomy , I believe.

TillyTrotter Sat 05-Nov-22 20:54:11

I admire Dame Judi Dench’s vast array of acting experience she is the ultimate professional.
Her sense of fun is infectious and I can imagine why she would “light up a room” she came into.
It is difficult to see Judi becoming frail and her eyesight failing her but the interview with Louis Theroux was playful - a good way to describe it.
I don’t mind her scarves at all.

Allsorts Fri 11-Nov-22 06:57:25

I enjoyed it, I like most of her work but not Cats, worst film I've seen. When she said that beautiful house had been purchased with one advert for Clover it sickened me.

Eloethan Thu 24-Nov-22 16:08:21

I also find Judi Dench a bit irritating.

Calendargirl Fri 25-Nov-22 13:04:36

The ‘Dames’ programme was repeated on BBC4 last night.

I expect it will be on I player now.

Urmstongran Fri 25-Nov-22 13:17:32

I like Judi Dench and she’s at the top of the actor tree because she’s talented, works very hard and is a consummate professional.

It was a bit of a boring programme though. It may well have been called ‘A Tribute o JD’.

No searching questions from Louis Theroux. Didn’t touch on the fractious relationship she & her husband Michael had with Finty. She was a bit of a firebrand.

No real substance. Yes I get he was kind and deferential to an actress in her mid-80s but come on - she wouldn’t talk about Michael much would she - even some 20+ years after his death? You have to probe a little deeper to access the person under the acting!

Anyway it was a perfectly pleasant fluff piece to watch.
But do I know more of JD because of it? Nope.

Peartree Mon 05-Dec-22 17:02:29

Im not a fan and heard she is quite a snob. If she came accross as nice she must have been acting.

foxie48 Mon 05-Dec-22 17:25:20

I saw her at the RSC in the 60's and couldn't take my eyes off her, I particularly loved her voice when she was young. I think she's an excellent actress who has been more than capable of playing a huge variety of roles. I know nothing about her with regard to her off stage character but she always seems charming when being interviewed, doesn't take herself too seriously or come over as a "luvvie". Haven't seen the LT interview but will definitely watch it.

Marydoll Mon 05-Dec-22 17:36:02

Oh dear I am guilty of a scarf : Snap GrannyGravy, except substitute scarves for scarf. wink