Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Crown..Season 5

(152 Posts)
Bea65 Thu 10-Nov-22 20:31:19

I was a little concerned about the upset on the current series dropping on Netflix and the PR around this is just a drama..the first 2 episodes with the new actors didn't really inspire me..however Episode 3 about Sydney is very interesting and wondered if this was a true character and find that he was and enter Mohammed Al Fayid..and the purchase of The Ritz and then Harrods...fascinating series..

Fleurpepper Fri 11-Nov-22 17:19:06

About anyone who does not know or perceive the difference between 'The Crown' and 'I'm a celebrity'. Since I have stated that they can't be compared, I'll leave you to make the conclusions.

Chestnut Fri 11-Nov-22 17:20:50

henetha

Dominic West and Jonathan Pryce both miscast, in my opinion. Lovely actors both, but not right for these roles.
I hope we all remember that this is a drama and not factual.
This series seems to lack the sparkle of previous ones.

I think the sparkle was lost after Season 1-2 with Claire Foy which were lovely. I never liked Olivia Colman as the Queen and struggled to work my way through Seasons 3-4, in fact I still haven't finished them. I'm a massive fan of the 1st two but after that found them rather dismal. That might be due to Olivia Colman though.

merlotgran Fri 11-Nov-22 17:38:58

Fleurpepper

About anyone who does not know or perceive the difference between 'The Crown' and 'I'm a celebrity'. Since I have stated that they can't be compared, I'll leave you to make the conclusions.

Oh, don’t rush off. I was just about to offer you a carrot for your high horse!

Fleurpepper Fri 11-Nov-22 17:41:13

Not rushing off- my comment was clear.

Been out to feed carrots to the horses, and an apple too (not my horses, they live in the field next to me).

vegansrock Fri 11-Nov-22 17:44:44

I agree that the earlier series were the best. I’ve seen episode 1 of the new series and it’s nowhere near as good, it’s clunky and some of the dialogue is very stilted. It’s still watchable, if only for the outfits and scenery. Diana and Margaret are believable , not sure about Charles .

Chestnut Fri 11-Nov-22 17:44:45

What are the chances of that? 😂😂😂

Doodledog Fri 11-Nov-22 18:48:05

Fleurpepper

And that is the real issue. We know it is fiction with much 'artisitic licence' (sheer lies)- but the vast majority of the world does not, and as Aveline says, think it is a documentary.

I doubt that the vast majority of the tv-watching world will be unaware of the difference between a documentary and a drama. There is no narrator of The Crown, it has famous actors playing roles and there are obvious dramatic scenes.

Yes, there will be people who believe what they see, just as there are people who believe what they read in the Daily Mail, or on Eastenders, but we don't ban those, do we?

What are the 'sheer lies' to which you refer, FP? And how do you know that they are, indeed 'lies' as opposed to previously unknown insider information, mistakes or the dramatic licence often used to conflate a number of incidents to make a point?

Fleurpepper Fri 11-Nov-22 18:58:45

As Aveline says, there are many in the UK and mainly beyond, who do believe it is based on the real life of real Queen and Royal family.

Is East Enders based on real characters? Really? I had no idea.

Now for the Daily Mail, THAT is another story!

Galaxy Fri 11-Nov-22 19:08:46

But most of the narrative about the RF is imaginary, why should the crown be any different, Charles and Di was a fairytale marriage, except it wasnt, Anne was rude etc until she was the hardest working royal in the world, and on it goes.

Daddima Fri 11-Nov-22 19:10:02

I agree with Urmstongran and Terribull about Dominic West. I feel he portrays a confidence which the real Charles never did. I’m also disappointed in Jonathan Pryce, as he makes Philip come across as a ‘little old man’, which he certainly was not, even at 99!
I am liking Imelda Staunton as the queen, as she’s a bit livelier than Olivia Coleman, but the less said about the Queen Mother the better!
By and large, I found what I’ve seen so far as rather dull, and I’m bracing myself for the telephone call transcript. I was interested to read that Sydney Johnson did indeed work for the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, then for Mohammed al Fayed.

Doodledog Fri 11-Nov-22 20:00:41

Is East Enders based on real characters? Really? I had no idea.

Well yes. I thought everyone knew that. I send a Christmas card to the Vic every year. When Kat and Alfie had it I used to get one back, but the Carters never bother 😡

Fleurpepper Fri 11-Nov-22 20:10:11

Hmmm, there you go!

merlotgran Fri 11-Nov-22 20:57:34

🤔

Iam64 Fri 11-Nov-22 21:13:55

merlotgran

^GN and huge numbers in the country were distraught and grieving when The Queen died- and now quite happy to watch this distortion of her life. How respectful is that?^

Why do you think programmes like The Crown and I’m a Celebrity are aired as winter approaches?

I’m happy to be likened to a shallow dimwit, unable to clamber to the dizzying heights of the moral high ground even though I’m perfectly capable of separating fact from fiction. From time to time a bit of mindless escapism suits my mood so boycotting The Crown out of respect for the late Queen isn’t going to make a difference to my life or those around me.

I always rather enjoy agreeing with you Merlot and I’m with you with bells and whistles here

I’ve not sunk as low as Im a Celeb (yet)

merlotgran Fri 11-Nov-22 21:16:50

I always rather enjoy agreeing with you Merlot and I’m with you with bells and whistles here

We should do it more often, Iam 🤣🥳

Iam64 Fri 11-Nov-22 21:21:32

Yes I agree. Gransnet has become rather grumpy and disagreeable I feel.

Doodledog Fri 11-Nov-22 21:24:12

Iam64

There seems to be a lot of posters setting themselves as superior to others, which always makes me grumpy and disagreeable ;grin:

Urmstongran Fri 11-Nov-22 21:50:06

Well I’m really looking forward to binge watching it this weekend. 😁
Himself has got the F1 race on Sunday. Tomorrow evening he’ll probably find a film to watch - we don’t like the same ones anyway so separate rooms + separate screens = happy us.

Urmstongran Fri 11-Nov-22 22:02:37

Anyway, thinking about it, of course, Patrick Jephson, Diana’s private secretary who thinks it is mostly all true, albeit dressed up a bit to make it more entertaining as a drama, should be ignored.

What would he know? 😂

Chestnut Fri 11-Nov-22 23:33:34

Galaxy Anne was rude etc until she was the hardest working royal in the world, and on it goes.
Was Anne rude? I recently saw an interview by Terry Wogan from the 1970s and she was absolutely lovely, very polite and very amusing.

Calendargirl Sat 12-Nov-22 07:22:03

I have never watched ‘The Crown’ as we don’t have Netflix. I would definitely watch it if I could.

I saw something on Sky Arts last night about the making of the latest series, interviewing Imelda Staunton, Elizabeth Debicki, Jonathan Pryce, Dominic West and Lesley Manville.

Made it look interesting.

Sarah74 Sat 12-Nov-22 07:27:29

Chestnut

Galaxy Anne was rude etc until she was the hardest working royal in the world, and on it goes.
Was Anne rude? I recently saw an interview by Terry Wogan from the 1970s and she was absolutely lovely, very polite and very amusing.

Anne once told someone (a reporter?) to ‘naff orff’ and so the myth was born that she was rude. Then later she became known as the hardest working royal. She probably works reasonably hard, but doesn’t tolerate fools.

Iam64 Sat 12-Nov-22 08:54:14

Urmston. We could declare a political truce, stock up on nibbles and tea/wine and binge watch together

Parsley3 Sat 12-Nov-22 09:22:23

I had a binge watch yesterday and enjoyed it. I wasn't niggled by pearls or casting but hearing the words Queen of England always gets my goat. I thought that Philip's relationship with Penny was quite touching.

Fleurpepper Sat 12-Nov-22 09:29:02

Iam64

Well, if showing respect for The Queen is being disagreeable, so be it. How can anyone compare 'I am a Celebrity' or 'East Enders' with the amazing life of our very recently departed Queen, is beyond me.