Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Traitors - new reality show on BBC1

(268 Posts)
Chestnut Mon 28-Nov-22 14:01:06

We have a new reality show starting on BBC1 Tues night called The Traitors which looks quite interesting. I will definitely give it a try. I notice they are starting it just as I'm a Celeb..... has ended. šŸ˜‰
The Traitors on BBC1

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Dec-22 09:56:25

Chestnut

The game was all about lying, murder, treachery and deceit, so Wilf played it to perfection. Claudia praised him as a contestant. It doesn't mean he's treacherous and deceitful in real life; it just means he's a good contestant. I get that completely. Throwing other contestants under a bus is exactly what you're supposed to do in order to win.

However, it's a strange concept for a game, and I find it rather worrying to be honest. I admit I was intrigued, and I admit I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure these are qualities we should be aiming for and rewarding with financial gain.

šŸ˜„šŸ˜„šŸ˜„šŸ˜„yes I get that it was a game.

Nannylovesshopping Sat 24-Dec-22 09:56:53

Just read in press, producers are considering ā€œcelebritiesā€ version. Noooooooooooooooo!!

aquagran Sat 24-Dec-22 10:01:18

Finalists on radio now!

Chestnut Sat 24-Dec-22 10:03:31

Nanatoone

He didnā€™t get rewarded though, the ones who contributed the least won! The clever, fit ones were banished or ā€œmurderedā€ early on. They did their bit of course but essentially they were the least competitive of them all.

It only ended with the faithful winning because Kieran hinted there was still a traitor in the group and changed the outcome. If he hadn't done that then Wilf would have cleaned up the whole Ā£100k and treachery would have been rewarded.

It could have been a very different ending if Wilf had won Ā£100k. He may have deserved it because he played well but I think the viewers and the other contestants would have been rather disgusted that lying and cheating was so massively rewarded.

aquagran Sat 24-Dec-22 10:10:20

Sorry, after 11:30!

aquagran Sat 24-Dec-22 10:11:37

Forgot to post original message! Traitors finalists on Claudiaā€™s radio programme.

Doodledog Sat 24-Dec-22 10:30:33

Nannylovesshopping

Just read in press, producers are considering ā€œcelebritiesā€ version. Noooooooooooooooo!!

Oh, I hope not. I'd rather watch unknowns who aren't constantly thinking about their public image.

kissngate Sat 24-Dec-22 10:55:38

Great show glad F won with help from K. Wilf's greed caused his downfall. He could have shared 100k with K easily but greed got the better of him. H&M would have voted A out if W had told them too and it only needed the two Ts to vote the same in the final vote and eliminate one of the last two F and the money was theirs. The parting speech from W was definitely rehearsed. They vote out in the afternoon no doubt W took it badly and knew the game was up. Presume the production team counselled him after the round table to say the only way you can leave the show with any esteem is by congratulating the winners. I doubt he would have been able to see the F before they met outside.

If anyone wants to watch the original Dutch version with subtitles it's on You Tube and called Der Verraders (8 episodes).

Word of caution to everyone before the next series. The BBC showed the final round table half way through the series. I don't watch previews or 'next time' however they showed spoilers after the football, before the News etc. Close your eyes if it comes on or it will ruin the whole show. On another thread a few saw the final table before the whole series started, I cannot fathom why they do it!?

Looking forward to the next series, anyone applying?

aquagran Sat 24-Dec-22 11:58:26

Well that was rubbish!

Aveline Sat 24-Dec-22 12:03:49

I really don't think Will was anything other than himself. He didn't ask to be a traitor and seems to have a nice personality that people just liked. He only nominated Keiran to save himself. I'm sure he'd have shared the money if he'd won.
It was a nasty programme though trying to unite everyone on tasks etc yet cause division and unpleasantness for our entertainment. The participants must have been left reeling.

kissngate Sat 24-Dec-22 13:40:59

Sorry Aveline but you are misguided. He said yes to being a Traitor at the beginning others declined. He just didn't know if he would be chosen. There is no way he was going to share the 100k which is why he called K a p...k.

Chestnut Sat 24-Dec-22 14:42:52

kissngate

Sorry Aveline but you are misguided. He said yes to being a Traitor at the beginning others declined. He just didn't know if he would be chosen. There is no way he was going to share the 100k which is why he called K a p...k.

Claudia picked the traitors by touching their shoulders. No-one declined. I doubt they could, it's part of the game.

Aveline Sat 24-Dec-22 14:44:56

Thank you Chestnut. I'm not misguided kissngate I just don't share your opinion!

Nanatoone Mon 26-Dec-22 00:06:54

Netflix watchers can see the Mole, which is similar. Itā€™s an American cast and the tala are set in Australia. There is one ā€œmoleā€ and you donā€™t know who that is until the end. I watched the lot and got it wrong! I enjoyed it after I got used to the American voices. The people were all extremely fit and young and they needed to be as the tasks involved serious amounts of strenuous physical activity. Worth a watch.

kissngate Tue 27-Dec-22 16:20:02

Thanks for recommendation Nanatone will search for programme.

Chestnut - for info the production company interviewed all the chosen contestants prior to filming to ask if they wanted to be a Traitor or Faithful. If you didnt want to be a T you had to say. The production company then chose the Ts and informed Claudia. Claudia has since said she interviewed the contestants before filming and tried to persuade one to be a Traitor but he/she declined. Most of them have twitter accounts and are revealing all. They were all offered counselling after elimination. They also had security in their accommodation so they couldnt chat away from cameras.

aquagran Wed 28-Dec-22 11:37:02

Have started the Mole. Bit confusing at first due to old thinking habits in Traitors, but good!

Nanatoone Wed 28-Dec-22 15:59:48

Yea itā€™s a different format but somehow it works too. I was confused by people deliberately acting like a mole so they wouldnā€™t get voted for as the mole will not get eliminated. Good fun though.