Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What was the first film you ever saw in a cinema?

(130 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Sat 28-Jan-23 16:08:10

Mine was Summer Holiday, with Cliff Richard, The Shadows, Ron Moody, Una Stubbs and others, at the Plaza in Birkenhead. I find this is the case with many of my age (not the Plaza necessarily) simply because the whole premise of travelling to Greece on a converted London double-decker at a time when cheap package holidays to the Med weren't yet a thing was such a welcome relief after that long, bitter winter of 62/63.

When I did my Masters in TV/Film Studies (yes, deal with it!) a couple of years as a mature student one of the younger ones asked if that was where the song came from. The song Summer Holiday seems to have been a potent icon right down the generations.

Peartree Sat 28-Jan-23 17:28:25

We used to go to saturday morning pictures and could buy half a hot dog for sixpence. The first film I can remember was Old yeller or Mary Poppins.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 28-Jan-23 17:29:14

My grandmother took me to see ‘Pollyanna’ starring Hayley Mills. Not long after I went with dad and my brother to see ‘Zulu’.

PerkyPiggy Sat 28-Jan-23 17:31:06

I don't remember how old I was so it was either Bambi or The Wizard of Oz. I had nightmares for weeks after, seeing the latter. That witch and those blinking flying monkeys have a lot to answer for.

1summer Sat 28-Jan-23 17:36:18

Mine was Dr No, we were on holiday in Wales and my order brother wanted to see it. Not sure it was suitable for a 6/7 year old. But about a year later I went to see Summer Holiday and loved it, our local cinema owner always let children in free in the afternoons during the school summer holidays and I went everyday.

MrsKen33 Sat 28-Jan-23 17:40:36

Show Boat. I was around 5 or 6 and I cried so much at the end that a lady at the bus stop asked my mother what was wrong with me.

BlueBalou Sat 28-Jan-23 17:40:43

My mum used to take us as a treat, it would have been something by Walt Disney. I remember seeing Old Yeller, Bambi, Children of the Oregon Trail?, anything with Hayley Mills.
She took us to see Far from the Madding Crowd and had no idea that sex was involved! Mum was incredibly prudish.

Witzend Sat 28-Jan-23 17:45:54

Fantasia - I was very small, maybe only 4 or 5. Certain scenes made a lasting impression - during the Rite of Spring sequence, when the fish emerges on to land and the fins change to legs, my father explained basic evolution to me, and I felt very sorry for the stegosaurus killed by the T Rex.
And the Night on Bare Mountain sequence was seriously scary!

Many years later I bought a copy and young dds loved the same bits I always had, esp. the Pastoral Symphony section.

Hellogirl1 Sat 28-Jan-23 17:49:00

Mandy, in 1952, at a cinema in Hoyland, S.Yorkshire. My auntie took me. I was 9.

BlueSapphire Sat 28-Jan-23 17:52:02

I think it's Disney's Cinderella, when I was 6; we were on holiday in South Wales. I was absolutely transfixed, and my DM bought me the Disney book of the film.

Peartree Sat 28-Jan-23 17:56:24

My dad took me to see The Spy Who Came In From The Cold with Richard Burton I must have been about 9 🤷‍♀️

eazybee Sat 28-Jan-23 17:57:20

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Disney.

Grannmarie Sat 28-Jan-23 17:59:53

Bambi, around 1958? My Dad took me, I think it was after the birth of my baby brother. However, I didn't see all of it because I roared and howled when Bambi's Mum was killed and my Dad had to take me home....it was a while before he took me to the pictures again.

Theexwife Sat 28-Jan-23 18:05:05

Unusually for the 1960s my father used to take us to the cinema, I am not sure it was the first but Mary Poppins is the one I remember most.

Hilltop Sat 28-Jan-23 18:05:43

My older sister went to see Bambi, but my mother said l was too young and it would upset me. I remember seeing Scot of the Antarctic with school friends on one of my birthdays.
I also saw many Fred Astaire films as mother liked him and took me along .
I expect the first film l saw was a Walt Disney, l remember being scared in SnowWhite.
Though the Salvation Army used to collect children in a hall and show us films, anyone remember that?

luluaugust Sat 28-Jan-23 19:59:31

South Pacific with my mum and aunt.

Beautful Sat 28-Jan-23 20:02:05

That long ago can't remember, you all seem to have good memories except me !

Fleurpepper Sat 28-Jan-23 20:06:41

Well I am not sure. Can remember clearly the first English film I saw 'A Taste of Honey'.

annodomini Sat 28-Jan-23 20:07:57

National Velvet - a friend's birthday treat. Or it might have been Bambi with my aunt and granny, around about the same time.

Oreo Sat 28-Jan-23 20:08:21

Same here Beautful 😂no idea.
Interesting reading the replies tho.

Gingster Sat 28-Jan-23 20:11:50

South Pacific with my friend and her mum. She brought sandwich spread sandwiches which I thought were delicious.

GrandmaSeaDragon Sat 28-Jan-23 20:14:02

Bambi with my Mum. I remember we had seats in the front row of the balcony at the Odeon in Croydon. Mid/late 50s.

Deedaa Sat 28-Jan-23 20:42:51

The first one I saw was Disney's Cinderella in the early 50s. The first grown up film I saw was The Night My Number Came Up when I was about 7.

nadateturbe Sat 28-Jan-23 20:47:55

Another Bambi.

Musicgirl Sat 28-Jan-23 20:54:09

My dad took me to see Dumbo when I was six. The B film was The Goose Who Laid A Golden Egg. This would have been 1971.

Shinamae Sat 28-Jan-23 20:57:32

South Pacific, with my dear departed, aunt May…😢.. I think I was about nine