Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What was the first film you ever saw in a cinema?

(130 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Sat 28-Jan-23 16:08:10

Mine was Summer Holiday, with Cliff Richard, The Shadows, Ron Moody, Una Stubbs and others, at the Plaza in Birkenhead. I find this is the case with many of my age (not the Plaza necessarily) simply because the whole premise of travelling to Greece on a converted London double-decker at a time when cheap package holidays to the Med weren't yet a thing was such a welcome relief after that long, bitter winter of 62/63.

When I did my Masters in TV/Film Studies (yes, deal with it!) a couple of years as a mature student one of the younger ones asked if that was where the song came from. The song Summer Holiday seems to have been a potent icon right down the generations.

midgey Tue 31-Jan-23 12:05:49

My mother took my brother and I to see the film of the coronation, I have no recollection of the film but remember having plush nuggets! I would have been about five.

lilydily9 Tue 31-Jan-23 12:11:01

'A Town Like Alice'. I can't remember how old I was, but very young. The little boy who died from a snake bite stayed with me for a long time. But I did always have a soft spot for Peter Finch!

mrswoo Tue 31-Jan-23 15:34:58

I remember my mother taking my sister and I to the Futurist cinema in Birmingham. I don't remember what the film was but I have a very clear memory of going to the cafe afterwards and being allowed to have a fizzy drink. It was 7Up and I, probably aged about 7, felt very grown up as it was considered a real treat.

Palmtree Tue 31-Jan-23 16:03:31

One Million Years BC with Racquel Welch was one of the first films I remember seeing. I was pretty young at the time (1960s) and found it absolutely terrifying ....think it was the flying dinosaurs (sorry cant remember correct name for them, begins with P)smile