Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What was the first film you ever saw in a cinema?

(129 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Sat 28-Jan-23 16:08:10

Mine was Summer Holiday, with Cliff Richard, The Shadows, Ron Moody, Una Stubbs and others, at the Plaza in Birkenhead. I find this is the case with many of my age (not the Plaza necessarily) simply because the whole premise of travelling to Greece on a converted London double-decker at a time when cheap package holidays to the Med weren't yet a thing was such a welcome relief after that long, bitter winter of 62/63.

When I did my Masters in TV/Film Studies (yes, deal with it!) a couple of years as a mature student one of the younger ones asked if that was where the song came from. The song Summer Holiday seems to have been a potent icon right down the generations.

halfpint1 Sat 28-Jan-23 16:09:25

South Pacific with my parents

MountainAsh Sat 28-Jan-23 16:12:27

Wild in the Country starring Elvis Presley

tiredoldwoman Sat 28-Jan-23 16:15:34

We used to go to a Saturday morning cinema Minors Club for children , they always showed a bit of Flash Gordon, it was scary and always with a cliff hanger that made you want to go back the next week !

tanith Sat 28-Jan-23 16:16:49

Saturday morning pictures lots of cowboy films and yes Flash Gordon.

HowVeryDareYou Sat 28-Jan-23 16:18:41

Dr Doolittle, starring Rex Harrison. I was probably about 9. A neighbour took me. I thought the Push me-Pull you was fantastic

Casdon Sat 28-Jan-23 16:18:42

I can’t remember it, but it was Bambi. My dad took me whilst my mum was in hospital after giving birth to my sister.

Severnsider Sat 28-Jan-23 16:19:57

My mother told me that I cried all the way through 'Lassie Come Home' can't remember the film except it was about a lovely dog.

BlueBelle Sat 28-Jan-23 16:27:52

I can’t remember if it was my first, probably not, but my first memory is going to South Pacific with my Nan and us taking our hot water bottles with us to have on our knees

Granny23 Sat 28-Jan-23 16:28:18

Davy Crocket. My Dad took my sister & Me to a matinee. The queue was right around the block. I really enjoyed it until 'he died at the Alamo'. Then it was tears all the way home.

Chestnut Sat 28-Jan-23 16:30:16

I'm pretty sure it was Bambi at this tiny, old cinema which is no longer there. That was around 1957. My mother took me to a movie at least once a week for years because we had no TV. I saw Fantasia and all the Disney movies, the musicals, Seven Brides etc. and all the epics, 10 Commandments, King of Kings, the list was endless. Then anything with a U certificate was fair game, even if it was an adults' film, and that included a few war movies.

Greyduster Sat 28-Jan-23 16:37:27

The first one that sticks in my mind was Quo Vadis, a sword and sandals fest with Robert Taylor (adored Robert Taylor), Peter Ustinov and Deborah Kerr. I went to see it with my dad and we shared a small box of Black Magic. Christians were fed to lions, Rome burned, Nero fiddled and Robert Taylor saved the day! What was not to like? I got a gold star for writing about it in my English class at school!

timetogo2016 Sat 28-Jan-23 16:38:06

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang,i still love it.
As an adult you pick up things you were too young to understand.

AreWeThereYet Sat 28-Jan-23 16:39:34

I think the first was 'Jungle Book'. The whole family went and I remember one of my brothers being scared of Shere Khan the tiger, whereas I was petrified by the snake. Even now it gives me the creeps.

JaneJudge Sat 28-Jan-23 16:40:36

We were never taken to the cinema

Suki70 Sat 28-Jan-23 16:48:12

Bambi ,taken by my mother and older sister. I cried and it still makes me sad every time I think about it!

25Avalon Sat 28-Jan-23 16:49:45

The Comancheros with John Wayne. I think I was about 11. Must have been one Dad wanted to see.

ExDancer Sat 28-Jan-23 16:51:59

Bambi.

M0nica Sat 28-Jan-23 17:06:33

Bambi.

Grandmadinosaur Sat 28-Jan-23 17:09:13

Mine was also Summer Holiday at the ABC cinema in Derby. I would only have been about 5.

Sparklefizz Sat 28-Jan-23 17:13:09

Another one for Bambi - I cried too.

pascal30 Sat 28-Jan-23 17:15:47

The King and I with Yul Brynner.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-Jan-23 17:19:35

Disneys “Cinderella”

Kalamazoo

Calendargirl Sat 28-Jan-23 17:20:00

I think it was called ‘The Big Circus’, but all I can remember was a man walking across the Niagara Falls on a tightrope.

I went with a friend and her mum, I was only about 6, the mum gave me the cinema ticket to hold, I dropped it and spent the whole film fretting I had lost it and would get into trouble!

glammagran Sat 28-Jan-23 17:25:37

I think Finian’s Rainbow at the cinema was the first film remember. I was taken by my grandmother. After that I went quite often with friends. When I was a lot smaller she took me with her to watch Jacques Tati films in the afternoon which bored me witless but she didn’t have a babysitter (I stayed with her often). 😵‍💫