Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The piano

(57 Posts)
Nannylovesshopping Wed 15-Feb-23 22:04:10

Anybody else just throughly enjoyed this wonderful hour of TV, utterly magical!

LadyGracie Wed 22-Feb-23 23:38:21

Some real talent tonight, shame that the only choose one.

ginny Thu 23-Feb-23 08:47:27

Loving this.
Not sure about last weeks chosen pianist, I would have liked the red haired lady to be chosen.
Last nights was very emotional with a difficult choice to make. Wow, that girl was incredible.

Greyduster Thu 23-Feb-23 08:58:56

There was a blind pianist in the final of Young Musician of the Year. He didn’t win it, but he certainly deserved his place. It’s amazing how other senses take over when sight fails. I wish I could warm to Mika - he’s a bit overpowering for me.

Dinahmo Thu 23-Feb-23 12:06:14

I watched it last night for the first time and thought it was a lovely programme. Interestingly, when discussing Lucy, Lang Lang explained that when practising, pianists often lose the emotion of a piece but he felt Lucy's. The way in which she was taught was interesting but left me wondering if she still learns in that way.

I thought that the pianists ranged from good to excellent. More of the latter so a difficult choice.

Nannylovesshopping Thu 23-Feb-23 21:43:15

This is such an uplifting programme, a real joy to watch🙂

Sweetpeasue Thu 23-Feb-23 22:27:42

I saw this thread yesterday and watched the latest episode on catch up.
So glad GN alerted me.
I was overwhelmed by Lucy's performance. Just listened to it again tonight. It is really incredible she can play this well with her disabilities.
I'm astounded. So movimg.

MawtheMerrier Wed 15-Mar-23 21:51:25

The Festival Hall concert.
Lucy OMG - beyond "moving" 😍

lemsip Wed 15-Mar-23 22:01:34

yes, I'm watching too, so moving.

ixion Wed 15-Mar-23 22:02:10

Do we actually know what they are looking for?
Lucy is so different to the three others in style.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 15-Mar-23 22:15:28

Brilliant programme.

Lucy was outstanding 👏👏👏

YorkLady Wed 15-Mar-23 22:23:17

I’ve never felt so much joy, happiness and emotion watching a tv programme . Cried so much at the final performances.
This has been the best tv of the year! I want to watch it all again!

Smileless2012 Wed 15-Mar-23 22:30:17

WOW you've summed up just how I felt YorkLady; simply amazing.

Sweetpeasue Wed 15-Mar-23 22:43:00

The power of music to help these people with their individual challenges and sufferings. Extraordinary. All brilliant though Lucy brought so much love and she was amazing.

Greendress Thu 16-Mar-23 01:20:04

Just all so wonderful and especially Lucy. Thinking that King Charles should ask her to play as part of the Coronation ceremonies.

grannyactivist Thu 16-Mar-23 03:35:43

Lucy is amazing, but what an amazing man Daniel Bath, her piano teacher is - he’s been teaching her since she was three years old through an organisation called the Amber Trust. I hope the link below works, it gives an insight into Daniel’s work with Lucy.

m.facebook.com/watch/?v=926998468152156&paipv=0&eav=Afa2zykZSf-KgcQOzX0_ISjGesLx_xQL8ynx7EdvLRL9COv2UsF4NTVQtd0oc6QAwdw&_rdr

merlotgran Fri 17-Mar-23 11:18:36

MawtheMerrier

The Festival Hall concert.
Lucy OMG - beyond "moving" 😍

I settled down to watch it yesterday afternoon but had an unexpected phone call. Thankfully it did save me from the God awful racket/assault from Mica and Lang Lang at the beginning.

I’ll give it another go later as I’m sure the contestants will be a far better watch.

Smileless2012 Fri 17-Mar-23 11:19:34

They are merlotgran, you wont be disappointed.

NanaDana Fri 17-Mar-23 12:15:57

Mini Moon. SPOILER ALERT!!! Jay certainly won his heat, but did not win the final. The clear winner at the Festival Hall was Lucy, who with a memorable performance of Debussy's Arabesque, brought the house down and received a heartfelt standing ovation. I've loved the series. A real, emotional roller-coaster.

CoolCoco Fri 17-Mar-23 12:44:59

I love Lang Lang

Diggingdoris Sun 19-Mar-23 12:13:07

Lucy played my favourite classical piece and I was moved to sobbing tears watching her. She's amazing!

silvercollie Sun 19-Mar-23 12:49:53

~Mini Moon It as Lucy the blind 14 year that won. But the three lads are keeping in touch and working on new projects,

JaneJudge Sun 19-Mar-23 12:53:30

I LOVED it too. Lucy was amazing and yes, you absolutely felt the emotion. It really made me think about how we underestimate people with learning disabilities and autism. I wondered what unlocked potential people have, that we may take for granted what people can acheive - although Lucy must be a savant?

LuckyFour Sun 19-Mar-23 13:33:13

I thought the whole thing was excellent. A wide range of people and styles of music, it's wonderful to hear live music.

Judy54 Sun 19-Mar-23 13:35:29

It was fantastic and mesmerising in equal measure. I do hope that another series is made.

rowyn Sun 19-Mar-23 13:41:46

Amazing, mind boggling, emotional etc etc. Had never heard of the Amber Trust - think it's London based. I know there will be a lot of charities who will use music to enrich the lives of those in need, but this one must be VERY special. We need more.
I've donated - here's the link if anyone else wants to do the same. ambertrust.org/donate-now/