Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Casualty versus ER - have your say!

(43 Posts)
gracefulllama Tue 08-Sept-26 14:09:09

I watched the 40th anniversary Casualty episodes and thought they were very amateurish. I found the acting wooden, the scripts terrible, and some of the scenes ludicrous, for instance when Di Botcher came out and screeched that she needed two ambulances to get out there (shouldn't she have been more professional and picked two of them to be readied to go?)... so they leapt into their cabs while some of the vehicles still had ramps attached and the rear doors hanging open. It was like a primary school play gone wrong. The direction was that bad... Now, we're also watching old episodes of ER. What a professional show! Believable acting and action. The people feel real, not like they're pretending. My vote goes to ER every time.

Aveline Tue 08-Sept-26 14:52:21

Try the Pitt. It's streets ahead of both of them.

gracefulllama Tue 08-Sept-26 14:53:33

Love Noah Wyle. He'd be a great doc.

BlueBelle Tue 08-Sept-26 14:56:48

Who is Di Botcher ?
I love Casualty and think the acting is just great and not at all amateurish, on the other hand, I m not at all fond of American soaps so I wouldn’t be choosing ER at all

Smileless2012 Tue 08-Sept-26 14:59:08

ER without question. Best present Mr. S. has ever bought me was the complete series on DVD which I still have.

MrsQuigley Tue 08-Sept-26 15:08:06

Are ER and The Pitt American? If so I wouldn’t watch given the option. Much prefer British productions.
I watched the 40th anniversary edition of Casualty and enjoyed it. Have been a viewer for most of its time and find it comforting to watch. I did find bits of the episode a little far fetched but hey, that’s Casualty. Will miss it not being on again until January.

Farmor15 Tue 08-Sept-26 15:14:18

I watch Casualty now and then- used to be much better. It's got very "soapy" in recent years. I watched the double episode last night- it seemed ludicrous that Dylan was the only competent doctor in the whole place - when he could get himself together! If there really was a major incident, doctors would have been drafted in from other parts of the hospital and called in from home.
I must start re-watching ER - The Pitt was brilliant.

tanith Tue 08-Sept-26 15:18:53

I don’t know what ER is? If it’s American then I wouldn’t watch anyway I’m not that fond of programs. I like Casualty despite the sometimes questionable scripts/acting.

gracefulllama Tue 08-Sept-26 15:31:19

I'm surprised that so many are saying they won't watch US dramas. They're missing out, I promise.

Aveline Tue 08-Sept-26 16:17:04

Yes. Their loss.

wendyann23 Tue 08-Sept-26 16:51:14

ER was by far the best hospital drama although I have always enjoyed watching Casualty which is completely different. Am just about to start watching the Pitt which stars Noah Wyle who was a young doctor in ER. It is meant to be very good so am looking forward to watch that. You can’t just dismiss all American drama, some of it is excellent as is some American comedy.

grannydarkhair Tue 08-Sept-26 17:03:17

I haven’t watched Casualty for years, found it very boring compared to a great many other medical series. I loved ER when it first started and still do, especially the earlier seasons when Mark Greene and Doug Ross were two of the main characters.
British based medical series I’ve enjoyed over the years include Bodies, Cardiac Arrest, Green Wing, This is Going to Hurt and Getting On.
There’s a brilliant (imo) German series called Berlin ER, very watchable.
There are lots of American medical series I’ve also enjoyed over the years including Chicago Hope, St.Elsewhere, Grey’s Anatomy, House, Scrubs, Nurse Jackie, The Good Doctor and Doogie Howser MD.
I remember my Mum always enjoyed Dr Kildare and Ben Casey, and she loved Dr. Finlay’s Casebook.
And going off at a tangent, I can’t forget the truly wonderful M*A*S*H.

Deedaa Tue 08-Sept-26 22:16:12

I liked the early years of Casualty when it was really very political. I watched ER but didn't get really involved until the episode where Dr Ross came out of the storm drain carrying the little boy. Then the whole "George Clooney" thing hit me.

MollyNew Tue 08-Sept-26 22:21:34

Who is Di Botcher?

gracefulllama Tue 08-Sept-26 22:52:58

Do Botcher plays a character called Jan. I believe Jan is the ambulance controller.

MrsQuigley Wed 09-Sept-26 06:23:24

It really isn’t detrimental to me not watching American TV. Just grateful there is so much choice to watch what we each find interesting or entertaining.
Had never heard of The Pitt (or Pitt) before it was mentioned up thread. Yesterday evening my daughter mentioned she was watching the programme. (Set in Pittsburgh, now I get it). My daughter is a nurse and what really resonated with her was how strapped for cash the hospital was. We imagined the American health system rolling on cash from the huge medical insurances people need to pay. Or maybe the hospital in The Pitt is in a poor part of town. Hence the title.

Aveline Wed 09-Sept-26 07:02:40

Er no MrsQuigley. Why not abandon your principles and just watch The Pitt?

MrsQuigley Wed 09-Sept-26 07:36:04

Think you have the wrong end of the stick Aveline. Preferences not principles.
Enough.

JdotJ Wed 09-Sept-26 14:54:02

ER, Grey's Anatomy, The Pitt, all streets ahead of UK hospital dramas

Aveline Wed 09-Sept-26 14:56:46

Yes. American hospital dramas make ours look so amateurish. OK if you like that sort of thing or don't bother to check the difference! Odd 'preferences' can so restrict perspective.

Vintagegirl Wed 09-Sept-26 15:04:38

ER ... must have watched every episode back in the day. My medical relatives say The Pitt is very authentic but not available to view here. Another medical drama I rate highly is
RFDS: Royal Flying Doctor Service is an Australian drama television series which centres on the lives of workers for the Royal Flying Doctor Service. I think I picked up episodes on Youtube, maybe three seasons.

Chestnut Wed 09-Sept-26 15:07:31

The best as far as I'm concerned is a 1990s Australian medical drama series set in Sydney called All Saints 😍😍

It's created by the wonderful Bevan Lee who also did 'A Place to Call Home' so you know it's heart is in the right place. There are 493 episodes so enough to keep you going.

Chestnut Wed 09-Sept-26 15:08:30

All Saints is free to watch on Amazon. 😍

Aveline Wed 09-Sept-26 15:31:17

Thanks. Will check that out!

Vintagegirl Wed 09-Sept-26 16:12:11

Oh thanks for reminding me of All Saints. I had leg in plaster years ago and a guilty pleasure was watching that in daytime.