Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Casualty versus ER - have your say!

(44 Posts)
gracefulllama Tue 08-Sept-26 14:09:09

I watched the 40th anniversary Casualty episodes and thought they were very amateurish. I found the acting wooden, the scripts terrible, and some of the scenes ludicrous, for instance when Di Botcher came out and screeched that she needed two ambulances to get out there (shouldn't she have been more professional and picked two of them to be readied to go?)... so they leapt into their cabs while some of the vehicles still had ramps attached and the rear doors hanging open. It was like a primary school play gone wrong. The direction was that bad... Now, we're also watching old episodes of ER. What a professional show! Believable acting and action. The people feel real, not like they're pretending. My vote goes to ER every time.

Thisismyname1953 Wed 09-Sept-26 16:15:08

My DD and I are/were both nurses and could not watch casualty after a few episodes because its stories are so ridiculous. Charlie seems to run the whole hospital and would pop up in any ward or department where in real life they have their own staff with their own capabilities.
I love to watch a nice murder drama and I’m sure any police watching pick holes in the plot like we did with Casualty or any other hospital soap .

Warmglovesandsocks Wed 09-Sept-26 16:22:54

Absolutely LOVE Casualty and thought the 40th very good. Used to love Holby City too, shame it’s not on now.

WelshPoppy Wed 09-Sept-26 16:25:51

Casualty has been rubbish for at least 20 of those 40 years. Charlie looking into the middle distance while delivering his lines, I'm still convinced he had cue cards everywhere.

MrsQuigley Wed 09-Sept-26 16:58:00

Had not heard of All Saints. Enjoyed watching the several Australian series I have watched, definitely tick the ‘ preferred’ box. Will give that a go.

gracefulllama Wed 09-Sept-26 17:27:47

Vintagegirl The Pitt is available in the UK on HBO (Sky).

cupcake1 Wed 09-Sept-26 17:28:49

Loved ER who wouldn’t with George Clooney in it 😂! Stopped watching Casualty years ago as it got very boring and ‘same ish’ As others have said The Pitt is excellent well worth a watch. Sorry but American hospital series are far superior to the U.K. ones.

gracefulllama Wed 09-Sept-26 17:34:18

I have to own up to the fact that I have appeared in Casualty many times as a background artiste but I still don’t watch it. I’ve watched all of the ER seasons and loved the episodes with Noah Wyle, George Clooney, Anthony Edwards and Alex Kingston. Some of the later episodes suffered because of the writers’ strike but it’s still superior to CAS. I do enjoy seeing Charles Venn around the set, though.wink

TwiceAsNice Wed 09-Sept-26 18:16:16

I love them both can’t choose between them

grannybuy Wed 09-Sept-26 18:48:11

I loved ER. I quite enjoy Casualty, but the double bill last week did lack a bit of credibility. America does produce some good series. I’m currently on series five of This Is Us - an American drama. I’d recommend it.

Redrobin51 Wed 09-Sept-26 21:11:50

Loved ER and you husband was raving about the Pitt but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

JenniRen Wed 09-Sept-26 22:02:37

But half the fun in watching British dramas like Casualty, Silent Witness etc is picking up the bloopers and mistakes in continuity or, if you know even a little about the subject, picking faults and saying "but they'd never do that" or "that's just not right!".

Dearbhla Wed 09-Sept-26 23:42:16

Casualty was fab in the 80's. Loved Brenda Fricker and Clive Mantle in it. Clive, an ex cathedral choirister had a honeyed gorgeous speaking voice. Lovely memories

gracefulllama Thu 10-Sept-26 07:08:46

Clive Mantle made a lovely doctor, didn’t he.

MrsQuigley Thu 10-Sept-26 08:19:26

Yes he did. I also enjoyed watching Simon MacCorkindale as a doctor. So sad he died quite young.

Kloppqueen Thu 10-Sept-26 09:15:53

Much prefer ER. Another vote for The Pitt here - it's so good.

Chestnut Thu 10-Sept-26 09:51:50

My favourite Casualty doctor was Nigel le Vaillant. I called him Nigel the Valliant which brought up an image of him as a knight on a white horse etc. 😍 He went on to star in Dangerfield which of course I also loved.

Beans12 Thu 17-Sept-26 15:03:32

I gave up on Casualty years ago, after having to compare the angelic characters, always arranging weddings for patients/bringing in their pets to comfort them/going that extra mile for anyone, no matter how unpleasant-and Charlie with his inability to look anyone in the eye!-with real life medical staff who treated both my mum and my brother horribly when they were both unfortunate enough to need medical help. If only the staff were the way they are portrayed in "Casualty" in reality, we'd all be a lot less scared of having to go to hospital!!

petra Thu 17-Sept-26 15:10:33

The first episode was enough to put me off.
A bit like acorn antiques but without the laughs 😂