Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

70 up, very excited

(31 Posts)
fancyflowers Tue 15-Sept-26 22:46:47

I have just watched 70 up and found it quite emotional. I have followed the series right from 7 up onwards, and it's a real joy to see some of the people now aged 70. Has anyone else seen it yet and what did you think?

BlueBelle Tue 15-Sept-26 22:53:40

I too have watched it since the beginning I found this last one a bit dull personally.

GrandmaKT Tue 15-Sept-26 22:58:03

Yes, I have posted on another thread about it - very disappointing. The interviews with the 70 year olds were very superficial, we hardly learnt anything about the past 7 years. I had been looking forward to it so much!

BlueBelle Tue 15-Sept-26 23:03:13

We see to have two threads going probably best if we stick to the main one which supersedes this one

crazyH Tue 15-Sept-26 23:03:27

Yes I did. It’s a great social experiment. I kept thinking of life itself. I wondered whether the person whose idea this was in the first place, is still alive. I was filled with awe at the logistics of keeping track of these individuals, whose lives we are watching in real-time. Fantastic!!

Doodledog Tue 15-Sept-26 23:05:52

Are there more episodes to follow?

JenniRen Tue 15-Sept-26 23:08:27

Doodledog

Are there more episodes to follow?

One more next week.

Doodledog Tue 15-Sept-26 23:44:46

Thanks. I’ll look forward to it.

honeyrose Wed 16-Sept-26 00:41:08

I think only the first episode has been aired and the second one is next week. Very emotional - it made me evaluate my own life and be grateful for all life has given me. Ups and downs certainly, but good mainly. How on earth do they keep track of some of the participants - especially Neil who appears to be quite nomadic. What a sad, lonely character he appears to be and what an engaging, amusing, beautiful child he was at age 7. Love this programme - I find it fascinating. I’ve been watching it since 21 Up or maybe 28 Up. I’m about the same age and this made it all the more poignant for me. Looking forward to next week’s episode.

Macaydia Wed 16-Sept-26 03:20:13

7 up?
Not 70 and up. no?

Macaydia Wed 16-Sept-26 03:21:49

70 up?

Macaydia Wed 16-Sept-26 03:32:38

Nm i got it now👍

Grammaretto Wed 16-Sept-26 05:58:27

Thanks. I've now caught up.
I loved it in the early years but soon began to feel it was too invasive and voyeuristic as were all fly-on-the-wall documentaries.

I am pleased that most seem to have had full and reasonably happy lives, like the rest of us.

shysal Wed 16-Sept-26 10:15:03

It is a sign of the times that only a few girls were chosen at the start (1964) as they would not make interesting viewing because they would marry and stay at home with their children.

JenniRen Wed 16-Sept-26 10:55:53

honeyrose

I think only the first episode has been aired and the second one is next week. Very emotional - it made me evaluate my own life and be grateful for all life has given me. Ups and downs certainly, but good mainly. How on earth do they keep track of some of the participants - especially Neil who appears to be quite nomadic. What a sad, lonely character he appears to be and what an engaging, amusing, beautiful child he was at age 7. Love this programme - I find it fascinating. I’ve been watching it since 21 Up or maybe 28 Up. I’m about the same age and this made it all the more poignant for me. Looking forward to next week’s episode.

What a sad, lonely character he appears to be and what an engaging, amusing, beautiful child he was at age 7.

Yes, he was such a beautiful, happy child at 7, skipping home to Mummy who was going to make him a cup of tea.

It leaves one wondering what happened, why Neil became such a troubled soul. It also brings up the big question of nature or nurture.

sassenach512 Wed 16-Sept-26 11:17:54

Yes there seems to be an underlying sadness attached to Neil's upbringing. He said in one of the episodes that he never had stability in his childhood but didn't go into details. Something definitely happened between aged 7 and 14 he changed from that joyful, lovely little soul to a troubled teenager. It was so sad to watch him, homeless and nomadic in the early episodes but somehow managing to strive to become a Lib Dem councillor then a lay preacher. But again, he has surprised us by relocating to France this time. I hope he writes a book on his life, I imagine it would be quite an interesting read

JenniRen Wed 16-Sept-26 11:20:31

Yes, there is a whole other story we don't know. Whether or not he would want to share it, only he knows.
He had such potential which surfaced in positive ways from time to time.

Musicgirl Wed 16-Sept-26 15:04:40

I have just watched the episode on ITV X. I am nine years younger than the people featured and the first episode l saw was when they were 28. I have watched each episode since and caught up with the early ones recently. It has been fascinating. At the beginning of this episode, I was thinking that it was not up to the standard of earlier programmes as there was not as much depth. Then we came to Bruce, who has always seemed to be a lovely person and did not have the relationship with his father he would have liked. When he read the very moving letter his father had written to him when he was a young man, the tears came to my eyes and Paul and Symon, who spent time in a children's home, sharing their experiences was also very emotional. I think Neil is the one we all look for. What a life he has had. Naturally, as l have grown older, the age gap has closed and most of their lifetime is the same as mine. My husband is only two years younger than them and, like many on Gransnet, l suspect, an almost exact contemporary. I think this is why this documentary series has meant so much to so many of us. We are seeing our lives unfold through theirs. The fact that two of the participants have, sadly, died is also very much a part of our lives too, unfortunately. I will have my handkerchief ready for the next episode.

sassenach512 Wed 16-Sept-26 19:15:26

I agree Musicgirl I think there's something missing in this production without Michael Apted at the helm. I know there's a need to recap previous series but the latest one at 70 just seems to have little substance and depth as you say.
It's going to be a difficult watch next week though, when we hear about poor Lynn's demise and Nick's last piece to camera shortly before he passed away, I think we'll all have our hankies ready sad

Clawdy Wed 16-Sept-26 20:25:40

Sad to hear Bruce was sent to boarding school when he was five. Very similar to Paul and Symon in the children's home.

fancyflowers Wed 16-Sept-26 20:34:22

Clawdy

Sad to hear Bruce was sent to boarding school when he was five. Very similar to Paul and Symon in the children's home.

I agree about Bruce. What parents can send a boy to boarding school aged 5? For Paul and Symon it was different. Their family circumstances dictated it.

Thisismyname1953 Thu 17-Sept-26 16:00:53

I was a ten year old when the first episode was made so not much older than the participants. I haven’t watched 70Up yet because I’ve been catching up on some of the previous episodes, but I’m looking forward to to seeing what they’ve been up to.
I’ve just finished 56Up so not many more to watch .

melp1 Thu 17-Sept-26 23:02:03

Similar age to the participants & think it must be so strange watching yourself at a younger age. Think it would be difficult to relate to how I was at 7 and 14. Although wish there was videos of me as I got older would be nice to look back but not sure I'd want the general public to view.
Wish I had videos of my sons but alas only photos as we couldn't afford a camcorder.
I guess this generation will have lots of videos. I know I have some lovely ones of the grandchildren.

Eloethan Sun 04-Oct-26 10:56:04

I didn't think it disappointing at all. I found it so very moving - the best documentary ever.

Musicgirl Sun 04-Oct-26 15:16:17

fancyflowers

Clawdy

Sad to hear Bruce was sent to boarding school when he was five. Very similar to Paul and Symon in the children's home.

I agree about Bruce. What parents can send a boy to boarding school aged 5? For Paul and Symon it was different. Their family circumstances dictated it.

In many ways, Bruce was not much better off than the two boys in the children’s home. His boarding school appeared to be very Spartan with little in the way of home comforts. Despite all this, he has always had a lovely, gentle nature and has spent his life helping others, including Neil at one point when Neil was in a particularly desperate situation. For this reason, I think Bruce is my favourite. I like all the participants, though, and every single person has taken responsibility for their lives, whatever happened to them. I think our generation is the last to do so.