Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

70 up, very excited

(32 Posts)
fancyflowers Tue 15-Sept-26 22:46:47

I have just watched 70 up and found it quite emotional. I have followed the series right from 7 up onwards, and it's a real joy to see some of the people now aged 70. Has anyone else seen it yet and what did you think?

honeyrose Sun 04-Oct-26 15:59:33

I absolutely loved this series and it was no disappointment for me. One of the best things I’ve ever seen. I didn’t watch from the very beginning, but every 7 years from the 28 Up point. Somehow, the series, especially 70 Up, always made me feel very intrigued, but also quite sad. The innocence of children at 7 gradually gets eroded as they grow up and cope with adulthood - some of the participants better than others. They are the same age as me so that made it even more relatable. I would like to have seen myself videoed at age 7 as it would be an insight into me (even though I’m camera-shy now!). A very fascinating and poignant documentary. Well done the documentary makers.

DaisyAnneReturns Sun 04-Oct-26 17:03:35

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Musicgirl Sun 04-Oct-26 20:23:59

@DaisyAnneReturns, I don't know what l said that was condescending; you are obviously seeing something more into my comments than I intended. If you mean the comment about accepting responsibility, what is wrong with that? I did not, anywhere, say that no one under pensionable age accepts responsibility; there are many that do but, equally, it is more common in younger generations for some people to try to blame anyone but themselves for their problems. Of course life happens and things occur that are not our fault but there are times when we are at fault and have to acknowledge it. I have worked as a music teacher for over forty years and I can definitely see a difference in the general maturity of the children l first taught and those of today. Still delightful children in most cases but not as mature or resilient. I know many others who have noticed the same thing. If you ever look at Mumsnet, attitudes are certainly different from my generation. Some of this is a good thing but quite a lot fills me with concern for the future. Adolescence seems to extend into the twenties for many people these days, whereas most of us were definitely adults - many married with children. If you consider my views to be condescending, so be it. It wasn't my intention but, equally, I am not apologising for them. We must agree to disagree.

DaisyAnneReturns Sun 04-Oct-26 21:18:26

The phrase “I think our generation is the last to do so” carries an implicit superiority: our generation took responsibility; younger generations don't.

Musicgirl Sun 04-Oct-26 22:04:50

It was my view, with which you disagreed, as is your right. However, even when I disagree with people on here I try not to make it personal by telling them that they are rude, condescending or wrong. Mostly, I scroll past such comments but if it is a subject about which I have an interest and, in my mind, a valid view, I will express my thoughts without having a dig at the poster. I do not expect everyone to agree with me but l would hope that they would do the same as l do and show me the courtesy of not insulting me personally. What l am most disappointed about in this exchange is that we have taken away from a lovely thread.

DaisyAnneReturns Sun 04-Oct-26 23:32:05

I understand that you feel your generation took greater responsibility for its circumstances Musicgirl, but I don't think it's fair to conclude that yours is the last generation capable of doing so. People in every generation have different circumstances and levels of responsibility. I felt disappointed rather than anything else as I feel the series showed how, generation to generation we have improved the lives of so many.

Challenging condescension can be useful because otherwise a statement like “our generation is the last to take responsibility” goes unexamined and gets treated as an established fact when it's really a subjective generational judgement.