Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Royals: Time to Go? - did anyone watch it?

(42 Posts)
ferry23 Wed 16-Sept-26 07:31:32

I thought Humphrys put forward a weak and hackneyed argument. Same old chestnuts with extra digs about income/taxes joined mainly by ex MP Norman Baker, not known for his empathy towards the Royal Family.

The Times reviewer, having watched the programme, reckoned the Royal Family is quite safe.

Their popularity was always going to wane a bit after Queen Elizabeth died. They're navigating through the Andrew MB and the Harry/Meghan debacles with a bit of positive leverage thrown in regarding the health of The King and The Princess of Wales.

Definitely, the Andrew MB situation has tarnished their reputation badly, but even that will fade with time.

I can't see any Oliver Cromwell's even on the most distant horizon right now.

Samwam Wed 16-Sept-26 14:11:12

Just have a horrible thought this one family as our Head of State 🤮 Getting richer and richer lazy

William won't modernise he has got people in to maximise the Duchie of Cornwall's profits for himself (which should go ro the treasury) doesent do much so called duties.

Olivebranch Thu 17-Sept-26 13:40:27

I think the present king is dutiful, interested and caring. William may not be as good but looks much more modern and relatable to young people. Better the devil you know. And I don’t think he is anything like a devil. God save the king.

jomo Thu 17-Sept-26 14:18:33

Knock the royals again .
Who wants a president Trump or God forbid a Putin ..be careful what you wish for ... look at labour how many wanted them in power ....

grandmac Thu 17-Sept-26 14:54:11

Look at other countries that got rid of their monarchies.
Russia, Iran, Romania, Iraq, Ethiopia! Lived through one of those revolutions and wouldn’t want to do it again! I know some other countries did better after becoming republics but wouldn’t like to take the chance of being ruled by any of our current or past politicians.

Ray82 Thu 17-Sept-26 15:50:54

I think they own too much including the sea bed.My thinking says they are completely out of touch and I find William appears to be rather nasty.I probably won't be around when he ascends and agree with the passing of Queen Elizabeth 11 that was the beginning of the end .I also agree we must be very careful what powers a future president should have.President Trump comes to mind

jenpax Thu 17-Sept-26 16:23:01

jomo

Knock the royals again .
Who wants a president Trump or God forbid a Putin ..be careful what you wish for ... look at labour how many wanted them in power ....

And I am happy Labour are in power so much better than the awful alternatives of Tories or Fascists Reform🙄

JenniRen Thu 17-Sept-26 16:26:56

Ray82

I think they own too much including the sea bed.My thinking says they are completely out of touch and I find William appears to be rather nasty.I probably won't be around when he ascends and agree with the passing of Queen Elizabeth 11 that was the beginning of the end .I also agree we must be very careful what powers a future president should have.President Trump comes to mind

"I find William appears to be rather nasty"

Gosh, you know him personally do you?

In fact, I do know someone who worked with him and they would say quite the opposite.

WithNobsOnIt Thu 17-Sept-26 17:23:31

Great points made by Samwam post.

Monarchy is well past it's sell by date and should not be involved whatsoever in the governance of this country.

The constiturion should be totally redrawn and the House of Lords be abolished as well.

I have said this before, and l think the concept of Royalty and ruling people is akin to some kind of mental illness. Some might say on a par with religious beliefs.

The so called Royals got their wealth and powerl over the centuries by stealth, horrendous violent wars, usurping the peoples land and countries.

Not to forget,
deliberate in breeding with their cousins

I am staggered that they still command so much respect.

When will people wake up to who they really are and what they are really about?

I live in hope

Violetbynight Thu 17-Sept-26 18:08:16

Prince William has already given away some of his property. He also has some ideas about slimming down the monarchy if he becomes King. It would also be interesting to see what fate he has in store for Prince Harry, Andrew and maybe Camilla.
Also in many respects the Royal Family’s wealth is not their own personal wealth, but belongs to the nation.

If we consider having a President, we should look at how much Donald Trump has stored away in the way of finances. Quite a lot I should imagine. Seeing one man have so much power in spite of limited intelligence, should discourage anybody from turning Britain into a republic.

Dreadwitch Thu 17-Sept-26 18:16:39

They should go or at least no longer be what they are. They should fund themselves, it's not like they can't afford it, pay for their own security and take no tax payers money. I know it's a pittance per person but it still grinds my gears that I pay them money when they're as wealthy as they are. I could live with that, but in its current state the monarchy is nothing but a tourist attraction that we pay to sustain.

Mollygo Thu 17-Sept-26 18:44:11

Grantanow

The King fills a role which would otherwise be open to retired politicians like Thatcher in the past, Truss, BJ, etc., and maybe even Farage. No thanks.

Or even Trump or Berlusconi.

JenniRen Thu 17-Sept-26 22:30:17

They should fund themselves, it's not like they can't afford it, pay for their own security and take no tax payers money.

So do you believe that, if the UK were ever to become a Republic, the Head of State ie President, should fund themselves to fulfil the duties required of them?

Mollygo Thu 17-Sept-26 22:41:58

JenniRen

^They should fund themselves, it's not like they can't afford it, pay for their own security and take no tax payers money.^

So do you believe that, if the UK were ever to become a Republic, the Head of State ie President, should fund themselves to fulfil the duties required of them?

Interesting question.

JenniRen Thu 17-Sept-26 22:49:15

I don't think Dreadwitch perhaps understands the democratic Constitutional Monarchy we have here in the United Kingdom.
Of course it has its flaws but it is benign compared to other systems around the world, and it works.

StoneofDestiny Fri 18-Sept-26 07:12:23

and it works

To do what? To keep a family of independently wealthy billionaires in unbelievable splendour for doing so little? The biggest takeaway from Kate and William’s rare appearances is Kate’s dresses!
We have the worst model of monarchy - not just one King/Queen, but a whole entourage of aunts, uncles. cousins, nieces and nephews enjoying palaces and stately homes at peppercorn rents for nothing other than who they are related to. The ‘perfect’ royals are such an illusion - £12 million paid by the late Queen to keep Andrew away from court!
William and Kate have been idle for so long - the biggest talking point is Kate’s dresses and William’s inability to mend a feud with his brother - doesn’t bode well for his ability or skills to ‘reign over us’. World Wars have been settled easier!

Violetbynight Fri 18-Sept-26 07:59:23

Even if I had the money that the monarchy has, I would hate to live in a goldfish bowl. One of them only has to peer out of a window before a photographer takes a snap of them. Also they have a job not to be denigrated and have always to be seen to be doing the right thing or wearing the right clothes. Harry went out of his way to break that rule and betray his family in a very public arena. There are not many families that would forgive their ‘misdemeanours’ being aired to the world. Their job as ‘ambassadors’ for this country has, due to Harry’s declarations been considerably weakened. His behaviour, together with that of Andrew, has made the future job of William as King, extremely difficult, something that William would find difficult to pardon.