Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Strictly 2026- Remembering Sparklefizz.

(215 Posts)
Calendargirl Sat 19-Sept-26 12:38:39

Just a reminder that the revamped Strictly starts tonight, 7.25pm.

I’ve posted this as Sparklefizz, who always kicked Strictly off, is no longer here, sadly.

RIP Sparklefizz.

💃

ginny Sun 20-Sept-26 20:34:46

Just watched the opening show. Have to say I only recognised one of the celebrities.
I preferred the way the were partnered this time.
I like Emma and thought she did a good job. I didn’t mind Josh , he was better than I thought he would be.
Jojo was the one I thought was out of place and sad that he is not dancing all in all a good start to the series and I’ll look forward to how it develops.

GrannyIvy Sun 20-Sept-26 20:50:49

I was a bit disappointed it was all too much and we turned it off in the end. Will watch it next week as I love the dancing. I don’t know anybody really in it this year apart from a couple. Not keen on any of the new presenters. I like Johannes as a dancer. I think Anton and one of the female dancers like Flavia would have been perfect as presenters. It seems to have all got a bit silly and too drawn out but hey ho see how it goes.

GrannyIvy Sun 20-Sept-26 20:58:19

Also very disappointed that Neil Jones yet again does not have a partner!! 🤷‍♀️

FranA Sun 20-Sept-26 21:17:52

I didn’t enjoy it at all. I didn’t recognise any of the celebrities. I think Emma and Josh did a reasonable presenting job. Joanne’s should stick to dancing at which he is brilliant. I think I no longer fit the demographic the show is now aiming for and I can think of better things to do with my time. The end of an era for me I am afraid.

Ramblingrose22 Sun 20-Sept-26 22:10:52

I agree with a lot of the comments already made.

I was getting tired of the old format and of Tess and Claudia who were always reading a "script". Why does the new SCD now need 3 presenters? Perhaps it will become clear in next week's show but Josh looked out of place and not knowing what to say.

Emma did OK but hasn't got much personality, and I'd rather see Johannes dancing as he was always brilliant at it.

The celebs (most of whom I didn't know) were much more interesting than Emma and Josh. Of course no-one can ever take the place of Bruce Forsyth, alas.

I'll give the show one or two more attempts to hold my interest but I'm not expecting much.

cornergran Sun 20-Sept-26 22:50:46

I always watch the first show as otherwise I’ve not a clue who most of the contestants are so this year was no different. Overall I surprised myself by enjoying it. Too much excited talking, otherwise for me it was enjoyable light entertainment. While Jo Jo is a super dancer I found him hard to hear. Possibly a production fault rather than his speaking voice. I liked Emma, Josh was OK most of the time. It’s hard to see how three presenters will mesh together. I guess we’ll find out.

Mollygo Mon 21-Sept-26 00:05:35

Presenters -oh dear. I think Josh will be good, Emma was OK but then she does The Voice as well.
Jo Jo-no. Should have kept him as a dancer where he was excellent, or even swapped him with Anton, who I think would have been good as a presenter.
Good to hear the dancing experience out in the open to start with. If you’ve had to learn routines you still have a head start, but it made us laugh to hear the never danced with a partner claim. How many of the celebs could have claimed that?
The pairing was more entertaining than the usual gushing astonishment but does anyone actually believe they didn’t already know?
Will we watch it all this year? Who knows

Casdon Mon 21-Sept-26 08:06:49

I hope JoJo’s role will be out in the practice studios once it gets going, because I think he’ll be better actually talking about the technicalities of the dancing to the competitors rather than presenting. I thought Emma was good, given how nerve wracking it must have been following in the footsteps of Tess and Claudia, and I think Josh will grow into it - he seemed a bit uncomfortable, I’d guess he doesn’t know much at all about dancing yet, but he will learn.

Essexgirl145 Mon 21-Sept-26 14:36:35

It's now Monday, I watched it and enjoyed it, but I don't like Johhanas.

jomo Mon 21-Sept-26 14:39:26

Well I was really disappointed with it josh waste space not lot of real celebritys
Not know half. Not overkeen on start show format. Will hold judgement until first show. And Is it a fair playing field 🤔 when so called influencer have do many followers to vote as opposed to the others

Estrellita Mon 21-Sept-26 14:59:10

Who or what is Sparklefizz?

meddijess Mon 21-Sept-26 15:07:27

Watched it for the first hour, and turned off. We thought it was awful - too shouty; did not know most of the 'celebrities'; did not like Josh Widdicombe - who at the BBC thought that this new format was a good idea? We've always loved Strictly, but it's now a shadow of its former self.

win Mon 21-Sept-26 15:14:06

Calendargirl

Not a dance observation, but Emma’s dress looks rather an insipid colour to me.

Think she would look better with a stronger colour.

Just my personal opinion, of course.

Absolutely not the best choice for her launch. Every thread on FB and there are many mentions her awful dress.
They also mention that in their opinion (mine too) we do not need 3 presenter. It was chaotic to say the least. Training on reading the autocues is required too. LOL. Josh was like a spare part, he looked liked a lost school boy and that laugh, he obviously thinks he is funny the way he laughs at himself all the time. Definitely not my cup of tea. I really like JoJo though just needs to speak slower and project better. People say they could not understand him.

Silvertwigs Mon 21-Sept-26 16:23:46

I didn’t know SF either but yes please others keep the thread in her honour and memory 🌹

Calendargirl Mon 21-Sept-26 16:59:35

Estrellita

Who or what is Sparklefizz?

Sparklefizz was a member of GN, and a keen contributor to the Strictly thread, amongst others.

She died fairly recently, and it just seemed a fitting tribute to acknowledge her on this year’s Strictly thread.

flowers 💃

Juliepat Tue 22-Sept-26 07:46:27

I was disappointed. Thought the programme was 'strictly a mess'.

petra Tue 22-Sept-26 08:02:50

Estrellita

Who or what is Sparklefizz?

Did you read the OP. 🤷‍♀️
It’s self explanatory as to who Sparklefizz was.

Dolly17 Wed 23-Sept-26 12:56:41

Apart from being far too long drawn out I didn't mind the 3 new presenters. I didn't miss Tess or Claudia at all. Maybe time for some new judges too?

NanKate Wed 23-Sept-26 16:23:01

I don’t watch Strictly other than perhaps the Final, but I do remember how excited Sparklefizz was when each new series started.

RIP dear friend. 💐

Cossy Sat 26-Sept-26 18:23:57

And here we go!! Proper dancing.

Here’s to absent friends … 🍾🥂

GrannyGravy13 Sat 26-Sept-26 18:30:21

🥂 absent friends

I think Will Best tried his best.

Grandmabatty Sat 26-Sept-26 19:06:36

So far the quality of the dancing is much as I expected. I have muted the chat and can't be bothered with josh, although I might grow to like him.

kittylester Sat 26-Sept-26 19:16:47

I am enjoying it much more than I thought i would.

Calendargirl Sat 26-Sept-26 19:17:22

Jo Jo starts talking too soon, whilst the dancers are still trotting up the steps. You miss a bit of what he says. I think this will be pointed out before next week.

Quite low scores, only right for the first week.

If they start by giving out high marks, nothing much to aspire to.

All the presenters still look nervous, and very obviously reading the auto cue.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 26-Sept-26 19:25:59

kittylester

I am enjoying it much more than I thought i would.

That’s how I feel