Gransnet forums

Webchats

Live webchat with Richard Madeley

(55 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 27-Jun-13 12:30:22

Following the success of our webchat with Judy Finnigan in March, we're delighted that Richard Madeley will be joining us for his own webchat on Tuesday 9 July at 2.15pm.

Famous for his long-running television partnership with Judy and for their book club, which has made the careers of many novelists, Richard has now produced his own debut novel, Some Day I'll Find You, which will be published on 4 July.

It is the second world war and James Blackwood, a dashing fighter pilot, is shot down on the day of his wedding. His pregnant widow has no choice but to remake her life. Ten years later, sitting contentedly in a square in France, she hears a voice she recognises, belonging to a man who will set out to torment her...

inishowen Fri 28-Jun-13 11:31:29

Looking forward to getting the book. The plot sounds really interesting.

Grannyknot Sun 30-Jun-13 08:44:20

Hi Richard, I found your book 'Fathers and Sons' interesting and engrossing, you have an easy style and an authentic voice. In Some Day I'll Find You, I hope the torment mentioned above is re 'lost love' rather than a stalker! (That's not really a question by the way, otherwise the answer may be a spoiler). Good luck with the launch this coming week.

threesugars Tue 02-Jul-13 14:13:21

Hi Richard, how do you find working alongside your wife in this new fiction writing role? Surely you discuss plots/characters etc? How do you stop unintentionally sharing/stealing ideas? Do you ever read the other's manuscript and think, 'that was my scene/idea!'?

Sook Tue 02-Jul-13 14:54:40

Hi Richard I live not far from the Staffordshire village which shares your surname, indeed there are quite a few Madeleys resting in my local churchyard too.

I enjoyed your book 'Fathers and Sons' and I am looking forward to reading your latest novel.

annemac101 Wed 03-Jul-13 15:09:56

I really enjoyed Richard's Fathers and Sons book and really want to read his new one.There's a you tube video of Richard talking about his book with photos of places from the book, it was really interesting and the book sounds great.
Richard,you said a family had moved into you head and told you their story but you must have had to do a lot of research into the era and all that was around then ,how long did your research take you and did it take over your life for a while?

minette Thu 04-Jul-13 18:24:13

Your hero sounds rather dashing. I am sure I am now alone in thinking you are rather dashing too! blush Could you see yourself in him when you were writing?

mactheknife Thu 04-Jul-13 18:26:58

Even though you obviously had a successful career in your own right before you teamed up with Judy on screen, the two of you have been such a hit as a double act that now richardandjudy has almost become a single entity! Does it annoy you that people think of you in this way? Is that one of the reasons you started writing books - to show you can operate independently? (if you know what I mean)

skittle Thu 04-Jul-13 18:31:29

I would like to ask Richard if he is really as nice as he comes across on the telly!

Grannyknot Thu 04-Jul-13 21:42:25

mac RichardandJudy will have to be known as, um "RichJude"! smile

Richard, you and Judy became grandparents last year - are you besotted with baby Ivy?

MoonlightSonata Mon 08-Jul-13 10:04:30

Hello Richard

I wondered what you enjoy reading, and which (if any) of your Book Club choices you'd take on holiday?

Clytie Mon 08-Jul-13 10:07:03

If you could have chosen to interview anyone through history on This Morning, Richard, who would you have picked?

Good luck with your launch, and congratulations on your new granddaughter.

Cheese Mon 08-Jul-13 13:15:43

Hello Richard. Do you ever catch yourself watching This Morning and thinking, 'we did it better'? wink What do you think of Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby as presenters of the show?

Salt Tue 09-Jul-13 09:29:08

Hi Richard! Was it difficult working with your other half and having your marriage always in the spot light?

cinnamonstix Tue 09-Jul-13 09:32:46

Hello Richard, I'm a big fan! I remember when the whole competition scam on ch4 happened - how did you feel when you found out about it?

Yofab Tue 09-Jul-13 10:26:22

Do you miss being on TV ? What programmes do you enjoy watching nowadays?

Sunhat Tue 09-Jul-13 11:03:49

Hello Richard.

I remember Judy talking about her deep love of Cornwall. I've got a lot of happy memories of childhood holidays down there. Is it your favourite place too? If not, where would you say is your favourite holiday destination?

CharlotteGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 09-Jul-13 11:11:43

Welcome to Gransnet, Richard.

How did it feel to return to This Morning in May as a guest?

petitpois Tue 09-Jul-13 11:12:04

Hi Richard, having reviewed and discussed books to death on your show, is it odd for you now being the author of the book being reviewed? I imagine that took some courage. Reviewers can be unnecessarily cruel sometimes - especially to celebrities.

icequeen Tue 09-Jul-13 11:17:44

How did you come up with James as character? He is completely utterly soulless. I just could not fathom how someone as supposedly clever as Diana could fall for him so easily?

I loved your portrayal of Diana's parents' relationship by the way. It was really warm, and with the troubles they had after Johnnie was killed, very realistic.

floribunda Tue 09-Jul-13 11:28:57

Judy's recent book was a big hit. Are you worried whether yours will sell as many as hers has? nI am looking forward to reading yours

granof6 Tue 09-Jul-13 11:30:08

Hello Richard I would love to know what are you and Judy really like when there are no cameras around?

granof6 Tue 09-Jul-13 11:30:40

Hello Richard I would love to know what are you and Judy really like when there are no cameras around?

sweatybetty Tue 09-Jul-13 11:31:54

Is there a chance we will see you back on our screens again together?
I hope so
Betty

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 09-Jul-13 14:17:34

Richard is here and ready to answer your questions so handing over to him and going to eat cake offering cake to keep him going in the warmth of GNHQ