Gransnet forums

Webchats

"This book will make you..." Q&A

(81 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 02-Jan-14 09:01:34

Modern life can be tough - constant changes, new technology, more choice, work and financial pressure can all add to our stress levels and affect our mental health. But help is at hand from Dr Jessamy Hibberd and lifestyle journalist Jo Usmar who draw on the latest cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) to show how to develop coping strategies and learn practical techniques to tack a range of problems quickly and effectively.

They've put together their advice in a new series of books... This Book Will Make You... Calm / Confident / Happy / Sleep (RRP £7.99 each) but will also be answering gransnetters' questions in an exclusive Q&A.

Add yours before 16 January and we'll pick 10 posters at random to win a copy their book (winners get to choose which of the series they would like).

Crissynora10 Sun 26-Jan-14 09:08:50

I have this sort've permanent song or music in my head! Very hard to dispel, especially at night, I now count down from 100 it concentrates the brain so I can sleep. It actually works. It's a form of meditation, useful for stress too.

Lorianne Sun 26-Jan-14 17:55:42

That 's great, Tegan. There is also a book called called "The Tao of Pooh" (as I remeber it)and I think I might find that once I've finished de-cluttering! I have'nt come across the one you mention but would be very interested to read it. smile wine and flowers

Lorianne Sun 26-Jan-14 18:01:58

Hi Chrissy. In my youth I'd wake up singing the latest Cliff Richard song in my head but as you say you don't want continual background music all the time esp. at night. That's a good tip - as they say: "Whatever gets you through the night and for me it's not Cliff these days. grin

morag89 Fri 31-Jan-14 10:16:24

Thanks Gransnet team, Jessamy and Jo. I received my copy of the 'This will make you confident' book. So far it's easy to read with clear diagrams to follow. I'm enjoying reading and working my way through it. There is very little 'jargon' and written in a friendly manner.

Tegan Sat 01-Feb-14 00:51:20

Received mine today; started reading it in the car waiting for school to finish. Haven't read much yet but I like the clear, concise way that it's written.