Gransnet forums

Webchats

"This book will make you..." Q&A

(80 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 02-Jan-14 09:01:34

Modern life can be tough - constant changes, new technology, more choice, work and financial pressure can all add to our stress levels and affect our mental health. But help is at hand from Dr Jessamy Hibberd and lifestyle journalist Jo Usmar who draw on the latest cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) to show how to develop coping strategies and learn practical techniques to tack a range of problems quickly and effectively.

They've put together their advice in a new series of books... This Book Will Make You... Calm / Confident / Happy / Sleep (RRP £7.99 each) but will also be answering gransnetters' questions in an exclusive Q&A.

Add yours before 16 January and we'll pick 10 posters at random to win a copy their book (winners get to choose which of the series they would like).

morag89 Thu 02-Jan-14 09:52:46

I am 60 years old. I took voluntary redundancy 3 years ago. I was extremely stressed and in the middle of the menopause. I tried to return to employment to no avail. I claimed my job seekers allowance for the 6 months, but with my husband employed I could no longer claim any benefit. I feel lost as I still feel I have a brain and would like to put it to use before I lose it....I'm too young to claim my pension but I would dearly love to earn some money rather than be dependant on my husband. Maybe I can't see the wood for the trees........

Mishap Thu 02-Jan-14 10:19:22

Why is it that the words "lifestyle journalist" give me the creeps? Am I alone in this?

nightowl Thu 02-Jan-14 10:27:34

No Mishap.

jinglbellrocks Thu 02-Jan-14 10:34:57

Hello Jessamy and Jo. I have already bought five different self help books for anxiety and depression. They are by Paul Vincent, Frank Tallis, Helen Kennerley, and David Burns (two by him as I thought I might have chosen the wrong book). All of them had excellent write-ups.

I really tried to follow the advice but to be honest none of them helped at all. They are now on their way to the Oxfam bookshop.

Do your books come with a money back guarantee?

Thank you.

jinglbellrocks Thu 02-Jan-14 11:25:54

They are only £4.11 kindle version, so I have bought one to try. (suckkker?!)

LyndaW Thu 02-Jan-14 11:28:10

I quite like reading these sorts of books though. Not all the time of course (not quite that self-obsessed!) but I do like the idea of self-improvement. Often it's just one clear message that comes out of each of them but it's usually quite useful. I'd love the one on keeping calm. I'm a bit prone to anxiety attacks. Any tips on keeping these under control J &J? They tend to happen when I'm out at a restaurant or somewhere like that. Had to walk out on my DS's birthday dinner once which I felt awful about.

Mishap Thu 02-Jan-14 12:31:56

Nightowl - maybe this is what comes of us both having been medical social workers?

glammanana Thu 02-Jan-14 12:35:45

Hello Jessamy & Jo these are a type of book's that I would take the time to study and find interesting,up until my 40's I was "Mrs Mouse" and never used to make my presence known when in company even though I had a job that needed me to be proactive with people,just after my 40th birthday I was very ill and my world changed dramatically after this period and after becoming well again I have found that I do now involve myself with all that interests me and am not frightened in any way to get my self heard if need be,I also do not now suffer any anxiety or worry about things as I used to years ago,is this just an age thing ? or do you think it is a result of coming through my illness and a general feeling that I was lucky to come out the other side.

nightowl Thu 02-Jan-14 13:14:52

Probably Mishap smile Cynical? hmm

joannapiano Thu 02-Jan-14 14:36:13

I wondered if your "sleep" book would have any answers for me. Since I was tiny I have had bouts of what I think are called "night terrors". I eventually wake up in an extremely disturbed state after screaming and shouting. This was really embarrassing when we were staying in Centre Parks one hot Summer as I screamed the place down in the middle of the night and everyone's windows were open.Got some strange looks the next morning from our neighbours. DH used to my funny little ways,luckily!

vegasmags Thu 02-Jan-14 14:43:00

Without wishing to appear rude, there are so many books with similar themes, and so many resources on the internet, what is it that you think make your books different? Surely if tackling such issues was so simple and straightforward, we would all have sorted it all out by now.

mollie Thu 02-Jan-14 18:25:28

I'd really like to find a book that provides a dose of oomph! I seem to be one of life's bystanders, sort-of-content to sit and watch the rest of the world having a career, a social life, hobbies, holidays etc. It's not for the lack of opportunity or resources, just a missing drive of some description. Any suggestions?

Yofab Thu 02-Jan-14 20:13:01

After ten years of a husband leaving me and 7 deaths in both families including my ex, 6 of which were various cancers, I cracked suddenly last year with anxiety. My doctor suggested cbt but the docs were so busy I couldn't get an appointment. In the end I went for Reiki even though I tend to be sceptical about parallel medicines. What do you think? It definitely helped me

Pamaga Fri 03-Jan-14 11:08:19

I'd like a book that would help me sleep! I get off okay but wake up repeatedly through the night - not just to use the loo! I am always amazed when I look at the clock that is is just after 12, then just after 3, then 5-ish. I am normally fully awake by six o'clock which is ridiculous given that I am retired and no longer need to rise at 6.20 as I did in the old days when I worked. I seem to be worn out all day so any help sleeping would be much appreciated :-)

inishowen Fri 03-Jan-14 11:12:43

I don't sleep well either. I go to the loo at least twice. I also get up and look out the window, or just sit at the side of the bed. I also get very anxious about stuff that should be nice. I'm worried when I have to babysit my grandchildren, in case they cry, or won't sleep, or just want their mums and dads.

Venus Fri 03-Jan-14 11:16:24

A self help book that can 'make you happy' seems a tall order. Happiness comes in so many different guises and is arguably the hardest state to achieve. How do you set about achieving happiness, and is it a continuing process?

nancy22 Fri 03-Jan-14 11:21:14

i like the sound of these books esp the one on sleep. Have you done trials on people to see what works?

wallers5 Fri 03-Jan-14 12:06:57

I love those sort of books & so does my daughter. I don't sleep well, have my own worries & farming daughter's worries. Love to be enlightened.

sallyc06 Fri 03-Jan-14 12:36:53

Working full time for years and raising 4 children with all the stresses and strains like everyone else has got, I think anything that can help is welcome, I have read severel self help books and would take on board any suggestons, if they don't work you don't do it again, but sometimes they do, all good

helenclare Fri 03-Jan-14 12:43:42

These books work well alongside various exercises, for me yoga and horseriding help. Think it is good to work together on both body and soul to get the balance right.

jcdoh Fri 03-Jan-14 13:28:50

hi this sounds like the change ! you can get help through your dr;
I went on hrt in my 50 s, it helped enormously, but as time marched on - various other things like the need to use loo during night, for me - having last drink by 9.30pm, and not sleeping until after 11pm solved it somewhat; but again it depends on how much one drank and what ?
do try to get some help.

jinglbellrocks Fri 03-Jan-14 14:32:50

Just reading the books alone could probably get you off to sleep.

Tegan Fri 03-Jan-14 15:09:16

I sat on the sofa last night reading my 5:2 diet book whilst drinking several glasses of wine, slept really well and woke up feeling very healthy.

MindfulGrandma Fri 03-Jan-14 17:21:11

I can highly recommend practising Mindfulness and Meditation to help manage life's ups and downs. A glass of wine, a few olives, a fire and good book also do it for me!