Gransnet forums

Webchats

The Hairy Bikers Q&A - ask a question by Thurs 16th Jan 12pm

(82 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 10-Jan-14 15:39:00

The Hairy Bikers, aka Si King & Dave Myers, whose recipes we LOVE, are coming in to GNHQ to do a Q&A for us. Excited - us? <tries to stop bouncing off walls>.

Apparently our hairiest of favourite bikers have launched their brand new Hairy Bikers’ Diet Club, "a website that offers all the tools you’ll ever need to get started on your weight-loss journey – and stay on it."

We've got 5 copies of their latest book The Hairy Dieters' Eat for Life along with a free 30 day subscription to the diet club to 5 lucky gransnetters who ask a question on the thread.

Btw, if Dave deigns to show us any dance moves we'll be sure to capture them on tape...

Get your questions in by Thurs 16th Jan, 12pm.

HairyBikersSi Mon 20-Jan-14 14:17:23

sophie56

Can I have several questions please?!

Having lost weight, do the Hairy bikers feel healthier and has losing weight had any impact on their emotional well being?

What have been the hardest things about losing weight and has anything been easier than they had expected?

The current trend is to fast or to have two very low calorie days a week as a way of maintaining a healthy weight. What is the Bikers' opinion of this method and have they ever tried it?

Yes, for sure. I’ve struggled with my weight since I was young, so when I lost nearly four stone I felt a lot better about myself. My self esteem and confidence in my own body and what it could do physically was a revelation. I was more active with my children, and more motivated to do things with them, I have boundless energy. Having said that, if I can get a nap in the afternoon I’ll always take it!

The hardest thing about losing weight is changing your attitude towards the food you eat, for good. The easiest for me was after the initial three weeks. I got into the swing of it quicker than I thought I would.

Weight loss is a very individual journey. What works for some may not work for others. The most important thing about any healthy eating program is that it is sustainable over a protracted period of time. It’s not possible to change attitudes for life if you deny yourself the things that you love and that comfort you. So treating yourself is enormously important, but you can only do that once you reach your ideal weight. And if you take this equation you are way more likely to change your eating habits and attitudes towards food - for life. Lots of love, Si.

HairyBikersDave Mon 20-Jan-14 14:17:05

kj19

milk, dark or white chocolate ;) x

Dark chocolate always for me. Even as a kid I prefered my Bournville.

HairyBikersDave Mon 20-Jan-14 14:16:44

KatyK

We went to see them in Birmingham on their two tours over the last few years. We enjoyed it immensely. Can I ask the Bikers if they enjoyed doing these live shows and were they nervous?

Yes we plan to do another tour starting at the end of 2015 into 2016. We loved doing the live theatres. We were nervous at first but once into the tour, it’s the best buzz ever.

HairyBikersDave Mon 20-Jan-14 14:16:22

linheiner

Be honest - do you ever feel like saying * dieting and healthy eating and having fish and chips from the chippie followed by a few pints down the pub?

Yes, very often I do have fish and chips, and a few pints now as I have my weight under control. But like most people, at the moment I could do with losing about 3kg due to Christmas binging so no chips for me this month!

HairyBikersDave Mon 20-Jan-14 14:15:52

EmmieH

Your recipes always look so delicious and some of them seem quite 'stodgy'. How easy is it to cook these dishes several times a week, but replace some of the ingredients with healthier ones to maintain a healthier lifestyle?

I agree and a lot of our early recipes were quite stodgy, and as we all know there’s nothing better than a sweet pudding. But by nature of our diet books, we have rewritten our recipes in a lighter, healthier, more fat-free way, which helps us maintain a healthier lifestyle.

HairyBikersDave Mon 20-Jan-14 14:15:05

caz123456

I'd like to know if they've both kept the weight off.

Yes we have, we both put on 3kg over Christmas, which we’re in the process of shifting! Back to our goal weight, which is a full 20kg less than our maximum weight when we were at our fattest.

HairyBikersSi Mon 20-Jan-14 14:13:49

GrannyMilly

I love food but I have been told to loose weight and sustain the loss you have eat and think about food like a slim person is this true? Can the biker boys reveal honestly how hard it's been to loose weight .

Thanks

The first three weeks of any diet is always very difficult because you’re going through the process of breaking lifetime habits and changing your attitude towards the food you eat. In addition, your physiology begins to change so it becomes quite challenging. However, after three weeks it becomes a lot easier, so if you have the will to maintain your weight loss, then we can guarantee you will feel enormously pleased with yourself. Your self-esteem will go through the roof! Lots of love, Si.

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 20-Jan-14 14:10:21

We bring to you... The Hairy Bikers Q&A answers grin

Galen Fri 17-Jan-14 17:27:05

Bump!

Galen Fri 17-Jan-14 13:14:04

GNHQ when do we see this please?

Galen Thu 16-Jan-14 23:12:10

When are they on? The mumsnet interview is on their site.
I'm confused.comconfused

Grannyknot Thu 16-Jan-14 14:36:56

Hi Hairy People, so far, despite eschewing all low fat dairy products, I'm not fat. Where do you stand on all this low-fat malarkey e.g. low fat yoghurts, half fat cheese and all that. It may be in your book(s) but I don't know (sorry but there are only so many cookbooks a gal can own!) - but maybe I get one for free now smile

softpad Thu 16-Jan-14 12:30:30

I would like to know, please, what is your best lamb recipe?

Thank you

merlotgran Thu 16-Jan-14 12:28:58

So did I, gilly. sad

gillybob Thu 16-Jan-14 12:19:19

Oh I thought it was a webchat at 12 ! Silly me. [very disappointed emoticon]

she said slinking off back to work....................

gillybob Thu 16-Jan-14 12:14:08

Are there any motorbikes parked outside of GNHQ yet????

caz123456 Thu 16-Jan-14 09:57:44

I'd like to know if they've both kept the weight off.

EmmieH Thu 16-Jan-14 09:56:35

Your recipes always look so delicious and some of them seem quite 'stodgy'. How easy is it to cook these dishes several times a week, but replace some of the ingredients with healthier ones to maintain a healthier lifestyle?

mollie Thu 16-Jan-14 08:33:30

Hello Hairy Bikers
I enjoy using your dieting cook books but the one question I've wanted to ask you (and all cooks/chefs/food writers) is about portion control. Your recipes are for four or more and there are only two of us. Tonight we are having one of our favourites - Jambolia - and I think the recipe is for six - if I'm lucky I'll get three meals because my husband loves this and will always go back for more and what's left over will be his dinner tomorrow. But I wondered what would be your tip for keeping the portions the right size while dieting and are your recipes generally freezer-friendly?

snare Thu 16-Jan-14 07:17:53

Do you combine exercise with healthy eating smile

linheiner Wed 15-Jan-14 22:22:16

Be honest - do you ever feel like saying * dieting and healthy eating and having fish and chips from the chippie followed by a few pints down the pub?

worriedmum Wed 15-Jan-14 18:46:34

How do you stop 'getting bored' of dieting. I only sustain a diet for a few months before going back to my bad ways.

KatyK Wed 15-Jan-14 18:11:38

We went to see them in Birmingham on their two tours over the last few years. We enjoyed it immensely. Can I ask the Bikers if they enjoyed doing these live shows and were they nervous?

robyn297 Wed 15-Jan-14 16:37:03

I love food and travelling, any where you would recommend for my next holiday?

kj19 Wed 15-Jan-14 13:44:21

milk, dark or white chocolate ;) x