Gransnet forums

Webchats

The Fast 800 - add your questions for Dr Michael Mosley

(60 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 15-Jan-19 15:34:27

We know that many gransnetters are fans of intermittent fasting, but there's good news for fans of the 5:2 - you can now have up to 800 calories on a fast day. Definitely easier than 500!

Dr Michael Mosley explains how it all works in his new book, The Fast 800 (more here and is happy to answer your questions.

So add yours here by midday on Monday 28 January and we will send them over to him - and pop the answers up as soon as we can after that.

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 15:59:30

jamsidedown

Hi Dr Mosley, can you advise whether drinking tea and coffee with milk breaks a fast? I do so hope not as I don’t think I could go without my morning coffee and Black coffee upsets my stomach! Thank you.

Having a splash of milk in tea or coffee is absolutely fine

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 16:00:48

toffeeapple

Hi Dr Mosley I just wondered whether the fast 800 has any particular benefits for women going through the menopause? I am 54 and like many of my contemporaries have put on weight, am struggling to lose it and my sleep is not good. I'm hoping that this might kill several birds with one stone and would love you to enlighten me

Yes, it seems to be particularly effective in peri-menopausal women.

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 16:01:25

blacksheep

I think I eat quite well in terms of meals but I just cannot give up chocolate. A recent blood test showed signs of pre diabetes. Will this diet help me? If there is a way of still having a bit of chocolate I would be much happier but I am happy to make any other changes needed

Yes. Pre diabetes is the result of too much gut fat, which the chocolate eating is probably contributing to. That said I still eat chocolate. Sometimes

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 16:01:51

Chloe

Will taking tablets affect the whether your body goes into a fasting state? I want to try TRE 16:8 but have to take medication regularly (I can’t leave it 12 hrs or more) and I’m wondering if the body views these tablets as calories, rendering “fasting” from food useless?

No, it is fine to take tablets

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 16:02:32

minitess23

How to balance feeling like you need a "treat" on non-fast days with trying not to overdo it?

I think you need to try and minimise the treats. If it chocolate then go for a really small bar. If it is cake, then a small slice. Share desserts with a friend

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 16:03:10

shysal

I am planning to consume 800 cals on 3 days a week, eating within an 8 hour window every day. I don't have any blood sugar issues so would prefer to eat carbs in a balanced diet. Will I still achieve the same health and weight benefits?

Yes, nothing wrong with carbs, as long as they are the right sort. Try to avoid the white ones ie potatoes, pasta, rice

lizzypopbottle Fri 15-Feb-19 15:06:26

Ha! I knew my question wouldn't be answered!

Snookems Fri 01-Mar-19 22:32:19

Hi Dr Mosley!
I’m wondering if one cup of tea with milk and one sugar a day on the Fast 800 will be ok if it’s within the calorie count?

Fitz54 Tue 15-Sep-20 17:36:30

Hi I have bought your recipe book. I’m so pleased with it recipes look delicious. I have 1 question on page 127 for Seasame salmon with broccoli and tomatoes, the calorie count is 403 per portion. I thought that was high so calculated it myself I get 316. Can someone check this please.