Gransnet forums

Webchats

The Fast 800 - add your questions for Dr Michael Mosley

(59 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 15-Jan-19 15:34:27

We know that many gransnetters are fans of intermittent fasting, but there's good news for fans of the 5:2 - you can now have up to 800 calories on a fast day. Definitely easier than 500!

Dr Michael Mosley explains how it all works in his new book, The Fast 800 (more here and is happy to answer your questions.

So add yours here by midday on Monday 28 January and we will send them over to him - and pop the answers up as soon as we can after that.

Neenaw Tue 15-Jan-19 16:17:51

Hello Dr Mosley, I would like to ask which is better for a) health benefits and b) weight loss...

The 16:8? Or the 5:2? Or is a combination of the two the most effective?

shinka2 Tue 15-Jan-19 16:20:59

I have heard that intermittent fasting has lots of general health benefits, but I am not really sure what they are and why. Can you enlighten me?

Grannyknot Tue 15-Jan-19 16:37:53

Hi Dr Mosley, thanks for coming to answer questions on Gransnet.

What made you come to the decision to change the calorie allocation from 500 to 800?

blackberrynana Tue 15-Jan-19 16:38:37

I like the idea of the 5 2 diet but have never managed it because I couldn't make the 500 calorie limit work. 800 calories seems a lot more manageable. Is there a reason that it still works even if you are eating more? Also on the 5 days do you recommend a higher calorie limit? I assume that you can't go mad but I wanted to see if there was an ideal to aim for. Thankyou

mumofmadboys Tue 15-Jan-19 23:16:23

Have the recent studies in the Lancet stressing the importance of 30 g fibre per day had any influence on your low carb dieting suggestions?

yoyoyo Wed 16-Jan-19 08:55:11

I have a friend who does 4: 3 instead of 5: 2 so she fasts for three days. Is this a good or bad idea or does it make non difference? Also should you leave a gap between the fast days if you are only doing two I think I would prefer to get them out of the way and enjoy the rest of the week

Katyj Wed 16-Jan-19 09:32:48

Hi,I'm 61 with high blood pressure. Which would be the best way to bring it down.I'm doing the 5.2 at the moment, but do I need to do the 16.8 as well ? Thank you .

Lesleyann9 Wed 16-Jan-19 09:54:26

Hi Dr Moseley
There is a trend to recommend 800 calories a day everyday for people with diabetes to try and reverse the condition. What are your feelings in that. Icantmanage that but I feel Icould manage that for 2-3 days a week

GrannyIris5 Wed 16-Jan-19 10:08:22

Ladies have a google of Jason Fung, he supports 16:8 and fasting. He’s helped a lot of people who are diabetic and plenty of others have lost weight. Most of us have managed 12 hours by the time we get up, try and delay breakfast.

Urmstongran Wed 16-Jan-19 16:01:20

Hi Dr Moseley - we have tickets for your Manchester venue next month and I’m really looking forward to hearing your views on this subject.
Can I just ask whether carbs are allowed on fast days provided the calories are counted in?

janeainsworth Wed 16-Jan-19 20:22:57

I have not done the 5:2 diet, but I understand that there is no restriction on quantity or type of food on the non-fast days.

How is this healthy?
What if someone is consuming high quantities of sugar and other refined carbohydrates, or eating high-fat meals between the fast days? Or consuming very little fibre? Or not getting enough vitamins and minerals?
Thank you.

Gladspad Wed 16-Jan-19 20:24:05

The recipes on fast800 thecalories say for two people . Is this 250 calls each or do you share them

Lazigirl Thu 17-Jan-19 10:09:22

Do you think these type of diets are sustainable in the long term, as it has been evidenced that for any type of "diet regime", it can only be sustained for a period of time and then one returns to previous eating patterns?

Telly Thu 17-Jan-19 11:34:06

Has there been any research on whether weight loss is maintained a year or two after following the 5:2? Or other quick loss diets come to that?

chrismum Thu 17-Jan-19 18:20:09

Hello, is it OK for the fasting day to be from 1pm until 1pm the next day?

lizzypopbottle Fri 18-Jan-19 14:12:32

My friend lost little or no weight on 5:2 until she realised that the 2000/500 calorie, one-size-fits-all idea was no good for someone only 4'10" in height. When she worked out her TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) her daily recommended calorie intake dropped to 1300 cals and her fasting day intake to 325 cals! Then the weight came off at about 2lb per week. Would 800 calories work for everyone or are we all individuals?

BBbevan Fri 18-Jan-19 14:20:16

Dr. Mosley. I was diagnose T2 diabetic in early 2016. I thought "No way" , and immediately went on your Reverse your diabetes in 8 weeks, diet. I lost 2 and a half stone in that time and my blood sugar fell to 5.4 , since then I have maintained my weight and BS by a 16.8 fast on 5 days a week. Low Carb breakfast at weekends. Is this the way to go.? I find it quite easy really, but sometimes need reassurance that I am on the right track.

Lily65 Fri 18-Jan-19 18:12:11

How much money have you made from this?

Buzzardwasp Sat 19-Jan-19 06:39:41

Hi Dr Mosley

I was wondering if a low calorie, low carb diet is fine for a someone at risk of hypothyroidism.

I was planning to stick to it for 4 weeks before moving to 5:2

Thanks!

Lollin Sat 19-Jan-19 23:11:51

Showing myself up here but what tips do you have to help someone actually trying to stick to such low calorie days, apart from going to bed as early as possible? I have had problems because life (family and friends and just being hectic so often) gets in the way constantly.

Luckygirl Sun 20-Jan-19 09:58:17

I have avoided these intermittent dieting ideas as I have gastritis and if my stomach is empty for too long I am in pain. Any ideas?

jamsidedown Sun 20-Jan-19 13:26:49

Hi Dr Mosley, can you advise whether drinking tea and coffee with milk breaks a fast? I do so hope not as I don’t think I could go without my morning coffee and Black coffee upsets my stomach! Thank you.

toffeeapple Wed 23-Jan-19 11:48:11

Hi Dr Mosley I just wondered whether the fast 800 has any particular benefits for women going through the menopause? I am 54 and like many of my contemporaries have put on weight, am struggling to lose it and my sleep is not good. I'm hoping that this might kill several birds with one stone and would love you to enlighten me

blacksheep Wed 23-Jan-19 11:50:11

I think I eat quite well in terms of meals but I just cannot give up chocolate. A recent blood test showed signs of pre diabetes. Will this diet help me? If there is a way of still having a bit of chocolate I would be much happier but I am happy to make any other changes needed