Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Worse than I thought, baptism by fire perhaps?

(32 Posts)
Anne58 Mon 25-Mar-13 14:32:49

Afternoon all.

I have just received the schedule for the induction period for my new job.

When I first spoke to the HR person, it seemed as if it would be to Manchester by train, then to Nottingham, by train, then to Enfield to collect the car which I would then drive home. (Devon)

I was more than a bit worried about the drive home (longest journey in a goodly while, plus motorway, new car etc) but now I'm .......shock

I'm going to Enfield by train on Tuesday, then driving to Manchester for 2 nights, then driving on to Nottingham for 1 night, then home on Friday, and back to Enfield again on Monday.

I've also been advised that I may have to take another new starter with me on the Enfield to Manchester part. Not sure if this makes me feel better or worse confused

Mr P said I can take his Satnav, which will help. I'm considering investing in a packet of Kalms.

I keep telling myself that not only do I have a licence to do this, but also I have done longish motorway trips in the past, and therefore can do them again.

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 14:37:48

Don't touch the Kalms. #asleepatthewheel shock

#allwillbewell

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 14:38:23

Thinking about things is worse than the actual doing.

Mishap Mon 25-Mar-13 14:40:13

You will be fine once you are up and running - I always worry about these things beforehand, then just get stuck in when the time comes.

Enjoy this new chapter in your life.

Nonu Mon 25-Mar-13 14:45:57

You are the girl for this , none better .

smile

Ana Mon 25-Mar-13 15:10:26

I agree about the worrying beforehand being the worst part of the whole exercise, usually! As you say, phoenix, you have the driving skills and experience (even if a while ago), this organisation wants you, and it won't be as bad as you think!

Just imagine how good you'll feel about yourself at the end of it all...smile

sunseeker Mon 25-Mar-13 15:15:38

I would advise against taking the Kalms. I took some herbal calming pills once and I could have driven into a tree and not cared about it, I was so relaxed!!

I am sure you will do the trip with no problems at all.

Anne58 Mon 25-Mar-13 15:16:23

I have an awful image of arriving somewhere and having to be forcibly removed from the car as my terror will have caused me to grip the steering wheel with a strength previously only known to Superheroes.

(There is also of course the possibility that my knickers will have welded themselves to the seat.)

Perhaps scrub the Kalms and spend the money on Tenalady instead.

goldengirl Mon 25-Mar-13 15:25:43

I hope you're getting a car allowance and business insurance Phoenix

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 15:27:19

Yep! Better idea that Phoenix! grin

Anne58 Mon 25-Mar-13 15:54:49

jings just made the mistake of looking at the AA Route Planner for the drive from Nottingham to home! Nasty words in there, like "city centre* and Birmingham (nothing wrong with B'ham, just I find that part bad/confusing enough as a passenger!) Other words too like merge Plus they reckon just over 5 hours. Bet I take longer than that!

Remember years ago the 18 hour girdles? Can you get 6 hour Tenalady?

golden It's actually a company car, hence having to do the first bit by train.

Galen Mon 25-Mar-13 16:01:10

You don't go through the city surely?

Movedalot Mon 25-Mar-13 16:06:22

phoenix you are only nervous because it is a while since you did such things. a year ago it wouldnb't have bothered you.

Going in and out of Brum will be a doddle as it will all be motorway, just take your time and read all the signs.

Just remember they chose you out of hundreds of applicants, therefore you must be good

annodomini Mon 25-Mar-13 16:11:44

If the car is reasonably new it will probably have a built-in sat-nav. Perhaps you could ask for it to be pre-programmed to get you to Manchester.

Movedalot Mon 25-Mar-13 16:30:15

anno we have just been car hunting and a lot of new cars don't have satnavs. I would hope that because of the job phoenix is doing hers would have one.

gracesmum Mon 25-Mar-13 16:32:32

Right - graceskalm at your service
1) Brum is a doddle- the M6 will take you straight through it without any need to touch city streets at all
2) when you get to Manchester - follow the signs and listen to the Satnav if alone, if you have someone with you he/she could do the navigating?
3) Tenalady very good idea - seriously - long motorway drives bad enough, but services sometimes a few miles apart (!) and you don't want the dash to the loo to be too undignified!
4) YOU CAN DO IT. As all the others have said, the thinking about it in advance os the worst part of it. I was once in Germany with friends and we had driven from near Hamburg down to about half way down - a good 4hours drive) when the driver was taken ill with food poisoning and I was the only person with a licence and technically able to get us home. I had never driven abroad and the other 2 couldn't drive! We made it but my legs were like ruber when I got out of the car that evening. You will be nothing like that - "feel the fear and do it anyway"!! Good luck!

Ella46 Mon 25-Mar-13 16:44:02

phoenix It's like riding a bike, you never forget. Once you've driven the car for a few minutes, you'll be comfortable in it.
DON'T PANIC! Take deep breaths and go slowly, and you WILL be fine!

When you get home, you'll be unbearably smug and cocky! grin

Seriously....good luck, you can do it sunshine

Butty Mon 25-Mar-13 16:50:49

You have my admiration, Phoenix - that would have me quivering.
All the very best (and pack extra nicks.)!

annodomini Mon 25-Mar-13 16:58:05

The service areas on the M6 are not great - Stafford not too awful. Avoid Keele. If you are coming north via M1, M40, M42, M6Toll, the service area on M6Toll is better than most.

Bags Mon 25-Mar-13 17:01:35

I'd feel the same, phoenix, but adrenalin will get you through. flowers

JessM Mon 25-Mar-13 17:03:51

Think positive phoenix picture yourself as the calm, in control, professional woman that you are. You are presumably used to the satnav? If not, have a little listen in before you go so you are accustomed to "her" little ways.

When we arrived in Spain on holiday "she" was trying to pronounce the Spanish/Basque names and completely massacring them. ay-er-o-pu---er-to etc
A truly terrible speech impediment combined with zero knowledge of Spanish/ Basque
DH wants to analyse everything grin
I kept saying "Please stop trying to work out the place names and concentrate on the instructions like "turn right" !!!"

Movedalot Mon 25-Mar-13 17:07:56

Just imagine us lot sitting in the back seat egging you on and you will be fine grin Or perhaps not wink

sunseeker Mon 25-Mar-13 17:15:43

With the combined good will of all GNs willing you on - you can't fail

Anne58 Mon 25-Mar-13 17:26:17

You lot are lovely, and you do make me grin !

Actually, Moved I haven't driven any further than Asburton (about 1.5 hours) for over (ahem) 7 years! shock

I'm used to Mr P's satnav (have even been known to argue with it) and have been advised to take it with me (HR person) "just in case" as she doesn't know at this point what car I will be getting.

If I keep saying my mantra "stay in the inside lane" I should be ok.

Movedalot Mon 25-Mar-13 17:33:47

So phoenix you have just told us you are a man (arguing with satnav) so you are bound to cope with the gears grin