Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Worse than I thought, baptism by fire perhaps?

(33 Posts)
Anne58 Mon 25-Mar-13 14:32:49

Afternoon all.

I have just received the schedule for the induction period for my new job.

When I first spoke to the HR person, it seemed as if it would be to Manchester by train, then to Nottingham, by train, then to Enfield to collect the car which I would then drive home. (Devon)

I was more than a bit worried about the drive home (longest journey in a goodly while, plus motorway, new car etc) but now I'm .......shock

I'm going to Enfield by train on Tuesday, then driving to Manchester for 2 nights, then driving on to Nottingham for 1 night, then home on Friday, and back to Enfield again on Monday.

I've also been advised that I may have to take another new starter with me on the Enfield to Manchester part. Not sure if this makes me feel better or worse confused

Mr P said I can take his Satnav, which will help. I'm considering investing in a packet of Kalms.

I keep telling myself that not only do I have a licence to do this, but also I have done longish motorway trips in the past, and therefore can do them again.

Anne58 Mon 25-Mar-13 17:59:37

Well, the silly thing tried to make us go a really stupid way (Mr P had it turned on when we were going for the interview, and the first bit even I could do with my eyes shut! No one in their right mind would turn left just before Dipper Mill, and when we got to Halwill the daft tart tried to take us into the forest!)

PS Dipper Mill is a very pretty little spot, but very prone to flooding! It has posts along the side so that you can tell when it has reached over 4' ! Google it and have a look.

Tegan Mon 25-Mar-13 18:20:20

When are you in Nottingham? Is it actually this week or another week? I could wave you off?

Anne58 Mon 25-Mar-13 18:24:15

Tegan "Appearing in Nottingham, for 1 night only, book early to avoid disappointment! Thursday April 4th"

Tegan Mon 25-Mar-13 18:32:38

Darn it, phoenix; you'll be missing the racing from Aintree sad...

flump Mon 25-Mar-13 18:41:01

Congrats on the job, pheonix. On occassions, when needed, I've found Bach's Stress Remedy Spray has helped. It might be worth a try if you think you're going to get a bit anxious with the driving.

Anne58 Mon 25-Mar-13 19:51:11

Tegan I know, won't be home until Friday.

flump thanks for that, def. worth consideration.

glassortwo Mon 25-Mar-13 19:58:29

phoenix you will be fine, its motorway so no going up and down the box. I have every confidence that you will do it then you will think what was I worried about, it will be like water off a ducks back. The sat nav will do all the work.

But the Tena is a good idea grin