Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Interview tomorrow

(179 Posts)
Anne58 Tue 11-Feb-14 14:36:41

Afternoon all,

Please keep a few things crossed for me tomorrow, around about 10.30 would be good!

Thank you! smile

Galen Wed 12-Feb-14 10:40:57

Mine was in Northumberland avenue. Very intimidating! I was also surprised when I got it.

Mishap Wed 12-Feb-14 10:53:32

My Dad occasionally had to interview people when he worked for customs and excise. Years ago, at the time of the new legislation about gender discrimination, he found himself asking a young potential secretary what she thought about the sex act! - whoops!

Gagagran Wed 12-Feb-14 11:23:35

My Civil Service interview was in Somerset House and it was more than a little intimidating to walk into a massive room with a very long table at one end. Four men were seated along the length and all eyes were on me as I walked to the chair placed in front of them. I can remember them asking me about the Bronte sisters - presumably because I came from Yorkshire - but little else. I must have done alright though as I got the job and had many mainly happy years working in the Inland Revenue!

merlotgran Wed 12-Feb-14 12:55:34

Phoenix

Thought you might enjoy this grin

Ana Wed 12-Feb-14 13:21:00

grin

I was bemused by the bottom right hand one until I read the article!

Anne58 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:05:07

Well, I think I may have cocked it up sad

I arrived in plenty of time, parked in the right place and trudged uphill in wind and rain. I went to reception (got it right first time, I have been known to be in completely the wrong place) and let them know who I was and why I was there. The reception person phoned through to let the bods know, and then handed me a questionnaire type thingy. It had several sections, each with various statements with a box next to them. I went gaily through it, ticking the ones that I identified with.

I tried to give it back to her, but she said to keep it and give it to James when I went in. I then went in. 2 jolly nice chaps, one of whom was James. I gave him the thingy. He looked at it and said I had done it wrong, I was supposed to award a total of 10 marks to each section, giving scores against the answers that I thought were most like me. confused

Having ably demonstrated that I was incapable of reading and following instructions, we progressed to the talking bit. I think that went ok.

It's a two stage interview. I get the feeling that I may be out of the running.

Anne58 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:07:15

merlot grin

JessM Wed 12-Feb-14 18:16:24

This sort of thing should not be just handed to you in reception when you are nervous. Someone should sit you at a table, explain what to do and check you are doing it correctly before they lave you to it. Sloppy. If they really liked you they might give you another go at it.

merlotgran Wed 12-Feb-14 18:20:55

This sounds like a lazy way of getting information. I'm surprised they didn't get you draw smiley or sad faces as well, phoenix

They obviously can't be bothered to read people's comments. hmm

Charleygirl Wed 12-Feb-14 18:24:49

I agree with JessM, that was no way to treat you. Hopefully the interview went well.

If you filled it in wrongly, maybe you were not alone.

Anne58 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:28:26

The impression I got was that James (young, Business Degree etc) liked that sort of thing, but Rob (older, and more senior) didn't set much store by them.

But even if that was the case, failing to read and follow instructions was NOT a good first impression!

Still, I should know by COB tomorrow if I have scraped through, but I doubt it somehow.

Mishap Wed 12-Feb-14 18:41:53

These sort of questionnaires are complete nonsense. I have cooked one before - at uni, I did I psychometric test and deliberately made myself out to be totally neurotic just for the hell of it!

Mishap Wed 12-Feb-14 18:42:09

Does that mean I AM neurotic??!!

Dragonfly1 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:44:48

I think that was all a bit rude and unprofessional and not the way to impress potential employees. I agree with Jess. Chin up, all might yet be well.

grannyactivist Wed 12-Feb-14 18:47:57

Oh dear - what my daughter would describe as a 'schoolgirl error'. (That's what she said to me when I went swimming last week and forgot to take a spare set of underwear to wear afterwards - having changed into my cossie at home before I went.) confused
Still; there is still hope phoenix and perhaps they overlooked it on account of your natural charm and vivacity, not to mention your amazing skillset, wealth of experience and sheer dogged persistance. It's not all over until it's over. [determined optimism emoticon] smile flowers wine cupcake

JessM Wed 12-Feb-14 18:54:01

I think I know which questionnaire it was and it is not meant for recruitment/ selection. Designed for increasing team awareness of different roles. Humph.

Anne58 Wed 12-Feb-14 19:36:48

Oh dear, you have made me laugh, esp. GA grin

Mr P is of the opinion that it matters not a jot because the pay is so low, but strictly entre nous, if I was offered it I would take it, because it is much more "me" than the present one.

JessM not sure if it was one that young James may have designed/compiled himself, being a keen young graduate sort of person!

merlotgran Wed 12-Feb-14 19:45:24

grin ga.

JessM Wed 12-Feb-14 20:08:13

OMG it was a scruffy thing was it.
Actually mishap they are not all nonsense. Useless ones do exist, normally the ones that are cheap or free. Those that are used by licences practitioners are a very different matter and some of them include lie detectors . So there. grin
But seriously, I have been using a few of them for years and they can be incredibly useful if used correctly by someone who has had the right training.

Mishap Wed 12-Feb-14 21:40:51

But it is usually easy to see where they are leading and to choose the most suitable answers. Or do you not agree?

JessM Wed 12-Feb-14 22:02:17

Well if they have a lie detector scale you can come out as too good to be true...
Some are much better researched than others and tend to be more reliable and valid.

Anne58 Thu 13-Feb-14 00:15:22

I did notice that one question in one of the sections was remarkably similar/almost identical to one in one of the other sections, so perhaps that was a trap? (I made sure that I allocated the same number of marks to both, so as not to appear somewhat schizophrenic!)
Well, that's what the voices told me to do.

(Quick disclaimer in case I'm accused of any sort of un PC comment there, actually I regard myself as having mental health issues, so there! (pokey out tongue emoticon!)

grannyactivist Thu 13-Feb-14 00:19:33

phoenix put your tongue away and go to bed before you get yourself into hot water! Don't you have a job to go to in the morning? wink

Anne58 Thu 13-Feb-14 00:29:33

Well actually no, GA ! With thanks to whoever and all the saints, I'm not needed tomorrow! (Was only told this at 4.30 today, as in "can you come in on Friday, as it would be a good opportunity to see how we do check-ins, and we don't need you tomorrow"

Suits me, I've got plenty to do (although no guarantee that I will actually do it, i.e. housework, bit more of my course work.......

grannyactivist Thu 13-Feb-14 00:34:52

hmm Slacker! grin