Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

And another one bites the dust.....

(62 Posts)
Anne58 Sat 22-Mar-14 15:24:39

Well, there you go, I can't even succeed in getting the night shift shelf stacker job in Waitrose that I interviewed for.

annsixty Sat 22-Mar-14 15:33:41

Oh dear* phoenix* it just isn't your time for things to go right. I do hope you can stay positive,as hard as it must be for you, things must change sometime.

nannyfran Sat 22-Mar-14 15:34:08

So sorry phoenix, it must be very depressing. I'm lucky enough to have a pension, small but adequate, so am out of touch with the job market. Where are all these jobs our government reckon they've created??
Good luck with finding something.

NfkDumpling Sat 22-Mar-14 15:36:04

flowers oh, bums! I suppose it that doesn't surprise me really - they'd have been afraid you may have encouraged the staff to think! (Even if it was Waitrose - sorry that's probably racist/sexist/mindist or something). What happened with the fish farmy place?

Pity though, they get good bonus's (bonus'? bonusi?).

Charleygirl Sat 22-Mar-14 15:48:49

That is such a pity. I am well aware that jobs are scarce in your neck of the woods. I think that you may have been over qualified.flowers

rosequartz Sat 22-Mar-14 15:53:00

I was thinking the same thing as charleygirl flowers

Dragonfly1 Sat 22-Mar-14 16:44:37

Hugs, Phoenix. My daughter is going through the whole been-made-redundant,-cant-get-a-job thing at the mo. It's such a worry. And we live in an area where jobs aren't quite as scarce as where you are but she still can't get one. She's got down to the last two candidates twice, and lost out to someone already working for the company.

glammanana Sat 22-Mar-14 17:19:23

What a shame Phoenix obviously over qualified for the position something must come up for you soon.
This last week my DS1 advertised for part-time staff at his Sainsburys Local Store and the two people who the job centre sent for interviews turned down the position when offered,and the positions did not carry 0 hours contracts they where for permanent 24hrs a week he is finding it hard to staff his store and has to keep having staff transferred from the big store to cover.
Dragonfly1 I feel for your DD when companies do that but they have to advertise internally as well as externally don't they my DD found that as well as,she was convinced the positions had already been sorted before she went for final interview.

rosequartz Sat 22-Mar-14 17:41:28

That happened to my DD2 as well, dragonfly, and she had put in so much preparation and was so keen.

Nonu Sat 22-Mar-14 17:41:35

PHO --((HUG))

DebnCreme Sat 22-Mar-14 18:18:33

So sorry phoenix you were definitely over qualified for the position and they felt you would not stay. I know it's a b**m*r and anything we say won't help, but hang in there (((hugs)))

Icyalittle Sat 22-Mar-14 18:30:38

Oh phoenix I'm so sorry. You do know it's not you, other than being too well qualified, don't you? flowers (West Country spring daffs)

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 22-Mar-14 18:31:13

phoenix, I am sorry you can't find a job, but, really, that would have been so bad for your health. It's not worth that. Something decent will come along. flowers

merlotgran Sat 22-Mar-14 19:18:28

Phoenix, A night shift would be my idea of hell. Be thankful you are over qualified and they didn't offer you the job.

I hope you find something soon that is right for you.

annsixty Sat 22-Mar-14 19:50:39

Does any one else feel rather sorry for the staff at Waitrose and probably MandS and the other stores who must be feeling rather undervalued by some of these posts?

rosequartz Sat 22-Mar-14 20:05:24

I stacked shelves in a supermarket in the evenings when DC were small. The staff consisted of mainly mums with young children and a group of jolly 6th formers.
Much has probably changed since then as it was over 30 years ago.

It fitted in with children and partner's hours before so much child care was available. We started off stacking the dog meat and hoped to get promotion to biscuits.
I was much younger then and it was hard, physical work.

If any shelf stackers are reading this thread, I appreciate what hard work it can be but absolutely essential for all of us.

Ana Sat 22-Mar-14 20:11:50

I agree - there probably aren't that many on GN (as so many of us are retired), but it must be extremely hard work and if anyone's still doing it in their 50s, 60s or 70s I take my hat off to you!

(Not that I wear one...)

merlotgran Sat 22-Mar-14 20:14:51

Yes. I appreciate the hard work of shelf stackers and night workers everywhere but all we're doing is trying to offer support and encouragement to one of us who is going through a testing time at the moment.

annsixty Sat 22-Mar-14 20:27:21

Well I was the first to respond to the original post but it didn't stop me feeling rather sorry for people doing the job, sometimes out of necessity, over qualified or not.

NannaAnna Sat 22-Mar-14 20:41:02

I think many current supermarket staff these days are way over-qualified!
In recent years I spent 14 months working in an M&S store, having initially been taken on as seasonal Christmas staff in a huge store, and then offered a p/t post in a new store opening in the following Spring.
I have a degree and have run my own businesses, as well as working for government departments, an university and the NHS in a long and diverse working life.
Amongst my colleagues on the tills were a former tax inspector (made redundant), a former bank manager (made redundant) and several former business owners, who (like me) went bust.
We made up the majority of the staff, and from my experience, we were not an unusual store!

rosequartz Sat 22-Mar-14 20:44:08

Well, as I pointed out, it is hard physical work and I found it tough years ago.
I am sure phoenix knows how much we are all behind her and hope there are better days ahead.

glassortwo Sat 22-Mar-14 20:52:15

nannaanna thats exactly what I found when I worked in an M&S store after being made redundant from my Office Manager job. phoenix {{{hugs}}} give the high st stores a try it can be a good stopgap.

annodomini Sat 22-Mar-14 20:58:00

Oh phoenix, it's so demoralising. I heard a man on the radio last night describing how he makes a living as a cat sitter when their owners go on holiday. You definitely have the relevant experience for that!

rosequartz Sat 22-Mar-14 21:01:34

Years ago we young mums were teachers, civil servants etc, all doing the job to fit in with tiny children and OH's work schedule.

Shelf-stacking was very hard physical work and I hope something more suitable is on the horizon, phoenix.

Penstemmon Sat 22-Mar-14 21:10:06

Sorry to hear that phoenix. pick yourself up, dud yourself down...

I d hope that something comes along soon and that you are soon happily working.flowers