Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Help! Made redundant and feeling lost

(45 Posts)
Anneishere Tue 09-May-17 10:48:55

Hello

I worked for a small firm of solicitors as a legal secretary for just over 17 years. I am 63 years old and I lost my husband in 2008. We were married for 35 years. My job helped me in keeping focused. Admittedly both myself and my husband were never careful about reaching old age - a stupid mistake but pointless now wishing we had done this or that - I do have some lovely memories of some great holidays we had together and we always worked all our lives. However two weeks ago I was made redundant with a redundancy package of a minimum amount which will not take me far. I do not have a private pension and not due to receive state pension until next year - I have no savings -apart from savings for my funeral - I have no investments. I am very scared how I will cope now that my finances have dropped dramatically and the chances of me getting another job is slim. I have been seeing my GP and seeing her again this afternoon as I am feeling very low and feeling shocked as I truly thought I would be working until I dropped. I would say I am still in shock. I am reasonably fit both mentally and physically. Since my redundancy all I have done is just sit indoors watching daytime TV!!! I know this is not good. I seem to have lost motivation and my confidence has gone downhill - I was never what you call confident in any event even before I was made redundant. I keep telling myself 'Come on Anne get up off your backside and DO something - even if voluntary work!!!!' I don't even know how to 'sign-on' although I have been checking with internet - all looks so daunting!!

Just typing my fears. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening. smile

Magrithea Tue 09-May-17 13:03:50

Hi Anneishere! There are lots of organisations out there looking for volunteers which might help you get your confidence back.

I'm the secretary of a Riding for the Disabled group and most of our volunteers are retirees. You don't have to be 'horsey' to help as there are usually jobs that need doing that don't require you to go near a horse.

Have you thought about volunteering in a local charity shop or community shop? Our community shop is a great way to meet people and do your bit. We have 3 paid members of staff so you might find something that you could be paid for too.

As fr 'signing on' I don't have experience of that but I think if you go to your local office they will help you through the process. Sometimes looking online is more daunting than actually going in and talking to someone. If you go to sign on you can also look at local jobs so who knows you might find something.

Good luck!

Luckygirl Tue 09-May-17 13:09:05

Volunteering is a great idea - it gets you out and about and talking to people. You could try your local CAB to find out about how you can deal with the change in your financial circumstances. I wish you lots of luck. flowers

Stansgran Tue 09-May-17 13:38:00

I would think the CAB would welcome you as a volunteer with your legal secretary background. What about signing up with a secretarial firm temping to find your feet? There will be people with better ideas coming on but welcome to Gransnet anyway.

Jane10 Tue 09-May-17 13:39:19

Your legal secretarial skills are eminently transferrable. Try to find work via an agency? Temping could be interesting too?
There is help and there are nice people out there. Good luck!

Nannarose Tue 09-May-17 14:30:22

First of all, be kind to yourself, of course you are upset. I know you are worried about the future, but your redundancy should allow a few small treats, preferably those that make you feel better- a meal with a friend, an outing somewhere that you will enjoy, possibly a visit to the hairdresser? Whatever suits you.
Allow yourself to feel rather shocked and upset for a little while - rather like having a good cry, better to go with it and come out the other side feeling better, than to waste energy fighting it.

Secondly, gov.uk is your friend. There is your information about applying for Job Seekers' Allowance (including rules about volunteering), your State Pension forecast etc. I think it all set out very clearly.
If you remain unsure, because of all the variables, then find out what help is available locally. As it varies, it is difficult to say whether CAB, local Law Centre or similar would be best for you, but the place to find out is your local library. Walk in and ask, they are very used to it. I am assuming you are not in a union, as that would have been your first port of call. Another source of help is Cruse, the bereavement charity.

Look at that information before thinking about what to do next, as I think the information will help you decide.

Do you go over to Money Saving Expert? I am a huge fan, the site is full of tips for saving money and living on a small income. I don't know where you live, but I ind there are lots of free / cheap activities if you look at your Council's website, visit the library, look on local noticeboards etc.

And, it may sound trite, but do get out for some fresh air and exercise. Look for local Health Walks if you prefer company.

Grannyben Tue 09-May-17 19:29:45

Hi Anne. I found myself in the unfortunate position of making a claim for benefits 6 years ago (I was actually working part time but needed benefits to top up my earnings whilst I looked for another position with more hours). Like you, I had never made a claim before and I was filled with dread. I applied for job seekers allowance online. So far as I can remember it was quite a simple process and the initial application form didn't require that much information. At the end, it said that someone would contact me within so many days (3?). Someone extremely helpful then contacted me, took further information and then made me an appointment to go in to the local benefits office.
I really have to say i found them extremely efficient, helpful and kind to me. I was worried they would, in a way, look down on me but I have nothing but praise for them.
If you are in anyway uncertain about what benefits you may be entitled to get an appointment with your citizens advice bureau, i have asked for there help on a couple of occasions and they were wonderful

Crafting Tue 09-May-17 21:26:00

Could you try citizens advice as to how to go about things. No shame in being made redundant as it happens to so many. Try and look on the bright side and arrange time to do some things you would enjoy like walking groups, WI etc.

Janetblogs Wed 10-May-17 06:55:03

It certainly is a shock - it happened to me 18 months ago - I went from. Being a high powered PA to redundant - luckily I had a husband to offload on but still depression was always there
From experience I know that legal secs are always in demand and the first thing to do is get your CV up to date make sure you have appropriate clothes look youthful (shouldn't have To I know but recruitment stuffed full of youngsters who can't envisage being old) and sign on to an agency
Look online to see who has best legal jobs this time of year all solicitors need temps
As well you can send out your CV to all local solicitors and you'll know them from your job offering your services as a freelance temp
Good luck

Janetblogs Wed 10-May-17 06:55:51

It's taken me well over a year if doing this but I now have a 30 hour job as a med sec working from home so you will get there

Anya Wed 10-May-17 07:35:43

Get down to your local employment centre and sign on for Job Seekers Allowance. Then you will have you NI paid automatically or you could lose out on some of your pension next year. And you don't want to lose out financially do you?

OK, you're shocked and upset but get off your backside and do something.

It sounds as if you need to have a job of any kind to tide you over financially and to get you out the house. Take any job. Supermarkets are nearly always looking to recruit so get in quickly before the glut of summer students take any available.
In other words, take any job going just for the year.

jacq10 Wed 10-May-17 11:04:35

Do try temping. I retired early but really regretted it so my daughter suggested I did temping as she had done it while at university. At 62 I thought I wouldn't enjoy it but it was brilliant. I did it for about 5 yrs, met loads of nice people (bosses and fellow workers), only asked to finish an assignment early twice as I didn't enjoy what I was doing/made to feel like an outsider. I was also asked many times to consider joining the permanent staff so I think it could well work for your situation. I would advise you to register with a few agencies as, like everything else, there are good ones and not so good ones!!

trisher Wed 10-May-17 11:14:15

Anneishere you have had a 'double whammy' your life is going to change and has changed. Lot's of good advice here. I would add be kind to yourself take small steps and look at all the options. You could perhaps think of this as an opportunity to change things. Was your job as fulfilling as you wanted or is there some other area you would like to move into? Finally we all need sometimes to sit and watch daytime TV and do nothing, if it's just short term that's fine, just accept that you have had a shock and take your time. You may look out one spring morning and start to feel better I hope that day comes soon.

Anneishere Wed 10-May-17 12:31:06

Hi all

I would like to thank you all for your replies? a great help to me. I did attend my GP yesterday & was introduced to a lovely young woman & we spoke at length - all in all a very positive outcome with regard how to occupy my time during the days ahead & also with regard to benefits & she was able to provide me with links/names. You know I don't think I want to return to an office, especially working for solicitors. I would love the idea of working with or caring for animals which has always been a passion of mine since childhood! Maybe - who knows - at my late stage of life - I will end up doing something in life I really enjoy! Granted I won't be as rich financially but definitely happier mentally!

Again thank you all for your replies - all of which made me feel so much positive about what lies ahead?

newnanny Wed 10-May-17 13:42:13

Temping is the way to go. You have skills that are in short demand. You will find it easy to get a temp position and most likely get a higher rate of pay as temps usually do. Take your CV to a few temping agencies and they will ring you about work.

robbienut Wed 10-May-17 22:03:01

Hi Anne

I was made redundant in July last year and even though I took voluntary redundancy I still felt like you did and was worried about getting a job. Luckily I had a package that lasted about three months and I was careful so made it last four. I signed on for 6 days in total after my money ran out.

I got my CV up to date and spent all day applying for jobs. I did one temping assignment with a local agency in Nov/Dec which was a bit of a disaster but signed up with Reed at the same time and they got me continuous work from January. I then got a permanent job which I started after Easter and I love it! They saw my CV online and asked me to apply :-)

Temping is definitely worth it. I'm a bit younger than you (nearly 55) but if you get your CV up to date and get it online with agencies you will get something quickly as you have transferable skills. Reeds were brilliant for me.

Volunteering in the mean time is also good as it helps to show you are still keen to work.

Good luck!

Maria

rizlett Thu 11-May-17 10:21:07

Anne - if you love dogs and have the time - maybe consider becoming a guide dog puppy walker - you'll never feel lonely!

www.guidedogs.org.uk/supportus/volunteering/what-can-i-do/puppy-walkers#.WRQsx1KQ3ow

Theoddbird Thu 11-May-17 10:35:22

Lots of good advice here. Look on it as a new adventure. Volunteering in a charity shop will help your confidence so a good start even just one day a week. It will get you out and give you something to look forward to. Then look into temping...you have needed skills and with summer coming up companies will need cover for peole going on holiday. Look forward to your new life with a smile. Wishing you well.

jeapurs54 Thu 11-May-17 10:43:16

I am unemployed at present after working for a company for 4 years but only after having to work on a self-employed basis as finding work at my age is difficult I am 62. Both myself and husband are now in the situation of having to sign on to get benefit, it is not something we enjoy but it does help by paying your stamp towards your pension when it comes to the time of needing it and as they keep moving retirement age it may not be worth much but it will keep us in food. It is not that bad having to sign on and most of the advisors are very friendly and helpful. Don't give up on finding a job you have Legal Skills and that can go a long way, there are lots of solicitors or other Law style companies that are always looking for good secretaries. I only wish I had that skill, I only have IT skills but is not getting me far at present. Good Luck think positive.

conners13 Thu 11-May-17 11:10:58

My mother was widowed when I was 4, many years ago now but she made 2 of the bedrooms in our house into a bedsit. I grew up with 'paying guests'. Could you rent out a room? Spareroom.com
Good luck

Greyduster Thu 11-May-17 11:28:56

I also think that temping is the way to go. My daughter was made redundant at the end of March after 25 years with the same firm. It was a niche market provider and her skills, as such, are not very transferable. She has registered with agencies and is temping at the moment in an attempt to enhance the clerical skills she has and to have a bit more to put on her CV. She only wants part time work and it seems that there are more opportunities for those seeking full time work. When my son left the RAF he took a temporary job which led on to being permanent, so there are always opportunities there. As others have said, try and stay positive. Good luck to you, I wish you well.

Sulis Thu 11-May-17 11:29:37

Have you thought about temping as a legal sec?

Yorkshiregel Thu 11-May-17 11:32:13

OK you have had a well earned rest, now start looking for a job. Go round all the supermarkets and ask at the desk. Go to the garden centres. Go to the shops such as B&Ms, M&Co, look in the papers and sign on at the local job centre. They will help you, they have done it so many times before.

If you start being positive and treat this as a new adventure instead of a disaster you will feel better and look more employable. GOOD LUCK! Don't be scared or look like a rabbit in the headlights, smile and be friendly and you will surprise yourself.

GandT Thu 11-May-17 11:35:24

If no one else has mentioned this you won't receive your state pension next year. As someone born in 1954 it will be nearer your 66th birthday. As I also fall into this group it is a hugh financial loss for us all. A bitter pill.

Yorkshiregel Thu 11-May-17 11:35:52

Temping in the job you are trained for is an absolutely great idea. My DIL trained and worked as a legal secretary for years and left to work as a temp when she had her child. You will be surprised how many solicitors just need someone part-time.