Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Volunteering

(28 Posts)
Nanny123 Mon 31-Jul-17 10:47:08

We moved to another country 10 years ago, I went from working full time in the NHS living in a town with a very active social life to living in the middle of the countryside, no job and virtually no social life at all. I was bordering on feeling very depressed. I found a local community centre and started volunteering. It was the best thing that I ever did. It got me out of the house, I could choose when I wanted to volunteer (at one point I was doing it full time) and I met some lovely people who went on to be very good friends. I also was fortunate to go on lots of different training courses and I actually passed my training qualifation which I absolutely loved doing. I would recommend volunteering to anyone that has time on their hands, maybe feels lonely or maybe just moved to a new area and wanting to make new friends.

BBbevan Mon 31-Jul-17 10:52:21

Having been in education for over 25 years, when we moved I contacted the nearest school to volunteer. Not a word from them. Not even a thank you but we don't need anyone at the moment. How discourteous. I shall look elsewhere

Anya Mon 31-Jul-17 15:16:42

Their loss BB

fiorentina51 Mon 31-Jul-17 15:30:54

I'm a volunteer at our local museum and also help out with our local woodland management. Keeps me active and give DH a few hours peace too. ?

BBbevan Mon 31-Jul-17 16:06:46

Thank you Anya I wouldn't have minded tidying the library or washing the paint pots. Ah well!

TriciaF Mon 31-Jul-17 18:13:02

BBevan - i wonder if it's anything to do with all the obligatory checks and references volunteers have to submit to.
My years of volunteering were up to 20 years ago. At first I was accepted, no questions. But soon after volunteers had to be checked for police records etc. Especially if you wanted to work with children. And you had to pay for a certificate of clean record. It must have put a lot of people off.
OTOH, I know of someone in rural Devon, aged 79, who still goes into a primary school to help with the children with their reading. Having done it at the same school for 20+ years.
Perhaps your school thinks it's too much hassle?

BBbevan Mon 31-Jul-17 20:53:17

I'd pay for the check myself. I don't think I would be turned down as I was the"'designated person for child protection tion' for several years

oldgoat Mon 31-Jul-17 21:17:46

I've never had to pay for a CRB check to volunteer at the grandchildren's school or to work with the Ambulance Service. Do you think your offer to help got overlooked BB ? Schools are usually crying out for volunteers.

Anya Mon 31-Jul-17 22:22:59

The CRB has now been replaced by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check....same thing really just under a different name.

BB I've just started volunteer work with the Integrated Disability Service. If you have something similar locally this might be of interest to you. You work with a family who have a child (or children) wth a disability by visiting them at a mutually agreed time, about once a week, and help the mother (usually) by being an extra pair of hands, or offer her an hour or two of respite, or whatever is necessary.

These are usually mums who are exhausted by the demands put on them by their child's disability.

BBbevan Tue 01-Aug-17 05:16:01

Thanks Anya I will look in to that

kittylester Tue 01-Aug-17 06:20:12

I've never had to pay for my dbs checks. I've volunteered more or less since the children started school, in a school, court, a rape charity and The Alzheimer's Society. They haven't been necessary in all roles.

Leticia Tue 01-Aug-17 07:05:02

I volunteer for several things and have never had to pay for a dbs check.
I would recommend volunteering - there is so much choice. It gets you out and about meeting people and is very interesting.

Maggiemaybe Tue 01-Aug-17 07:20:01

All DBS checks for volunteers are free of charge, as were CRB volunteer checks before them.

NfkDumpling Tue 01-Aug-17 07:30:51

If you like being around kids BB have you thought of Scouts? There's usually enough help with the little ones but from Cubs and Brownies up many groups are short of adult helpers. It's not essential to go into uniform.

BBbevan Tue 01-Aug-17 09:51:41

I shall be 73 in December NfKdumpling Might I not be a tad too old ?

NfkDumpling Tue 01-Aug-17 12:37:29

It depends how fit you are BB, Brownies are probably the easiest. I'm sure you'd be a boon with craft stuff or cooking.

TriciaF Tue 01-Aug-17 13:30:22

Sorry - I must have got the wrong end of the stick on payment.
Hoping you find the volunteer work that suits you, BB.

chocolatepudding Tue 01-Aug-17 13:51:47

May I suggest you look at this website

www.do-it.org

as it lists loads of volunteer vacancies for many charities.

ninathenana Tue 01-Aug-17 16:19:02

I've just checked out that link.
God it's slow, you get a timer every time you load a new page. Sorry just wingeing smile
May be useful for you BB

BBbevan Sat 05-Aug-17 13:29:19

Just thought I'd update you all. I heared from the school yesterday and the answer was Yes !

NfkDumpling Sat 05-Aug-17 19:14:48

Brilliant BB!

Ambergirl Sat 05-Aug-17 22:36:48

Just looked at the do-it site. Very good....but a bit slow to load!

MichaelBane Thu 14-Sep-17 08:28:57

Wow! That's great! Volunteering is a great thing to serve in the community. That feels really better to help in the community. It also provides you the opportunity to spend time with new people. Since 2016, my Aunt also contributed in the local volunteering program to help in the community, but after servings to the locals she wished to travel to abroad and help communities overseas. She recently visited in the mission humanitaire (http://www.mission-humanitaire-afrique.org/) program and help the community at overseas which feels good. She told me that she had a very good experience by volunteering overseas.

James2451 Wed 27-Sep-17 21:25:04

I understand and believe in DBS check where children are concerned, but many voluntary groups are insisting up on them when not needed. My friend (ex Met Officer ) aged 78 offered to visit males near his home who are living alone. Charity told him sorry you cannot without a DBS check, the letter was very curt. It annoyed him for being very curt, so he said get lost, now he does a great job regularly visiting neighbours and shopping for them when needed he has lots of new friends and loves the visits. He smiles as says nobody can stop him or tell him to get a DBS police clearance. Is he
wrong or right in helping people as a neighbourly gesture?.

Telly Mon 09-Oct-17 14:00:46

I have not had a good experience of volunteering. Firstly applied to a national charity - local branch, for home visits for people who were housebound, went through the CRB as it was then etc. and didn't ever hear anything back. Then a charity for older people asked for befrienders. I applied but locally was told there was no need but they could do with benefit claims assistance. I agreed but ended up assisting people who didn't need or in some cases even want benefits to get them. I then applied to the National Trust locally and they said great, come and do some admin. To be honest I thought nah, think I'll pass on that one.