Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Alex Jones ( The One Show)

(82 Posts)
mabon1 Thu 14-Jun-18 18:03:38

Well, here we go again celebrities moaning. Alex Jones is wealthy, was an older mother for her first baby and said she really wanted a child. So, she returns to work after three months. If I had been an older mother and wealthy I would have wanted as much maternity leave as possible. Is she greedy being so worried about her career?

Anniebach Thu 14-Jun-18 18:17:35

What has she been moaning about?

gillybob Thu 14-Jun-18 18:33:11

I don’t think it’s always about the money, it’s about the need for fame and to stay in the spotlight .

merlotgran Thu 14-Jun-18 18:38:32

The fear is that if you stay away from your presenting job for too long somebody else will endear themselves to the viewers. I read somewhere that Alex Jones was advised not to watch the One Show whilst on maternity leave.

Men, of course, don't have that worry.

gillybob Thu 14-Jun-18 18:40:40

She’s not exactly doing a 40 hour week to be fair and plenty women go back to work after a few months admittedly because they need the money .

Nanabilly Thu 14-Jun-18 19:29:02

She was on loose women today as she has a new book out . I did not think she was moaning just telling her own personal story just like we do when we meet family and friends.
She might not need the money but she does need her career.
She's a career girl and good luck to her.

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Jun-18 19:35:05

and she may be paying a whacking great mortgage .....

When someone is a SAHM they are criticised for not using their skills, when they go back to work after having a family they are criticised for that too.

I'm sure that, as a part-timer, she gets plenty of time to enjoy being a Mum and is probably glad of a break too.
Working for the BBC is not like working for other organisations - they are usually free lance or on short-term contracts, not like taking maternity leave from a teaching job or the civil service.

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Jun-18 19:37:25

^ and is probably glad of a break too.^
what I mean by that is - having a break by going to work, putting on makeup, having her hair done and wearing and nice clothes that don't smell of baby sick

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Jun-18 19:37:52

superfluous and in there!

varian Thu 14-Jun-18 19:50:27

Alex Jones, 40, fronts the BBC show with the former Blue Peter presenter who takes home up to £50,000 more than her each year. She weighed in on the BBC gender pay gap after a list of the salaries of the broadcaster's top earners was published.

It showed Jones took home between £400,000 and £449,000, while Baker earns between £450,000 and £499,000.

Poor Alex Jones, she is having to do double time to make up the gap between her paltry pay and that of Matt Baker who also does Countryfile.

I would say they were both worth about 10% of what they are paid- at most. How many folk do you know who are very well qualified, work long ours in a demanding job and still earn less than £40k?

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Jun-18 20:03:00

Envy is one of the seven deadly sins.
I know a lot of people who are very well qualified, work long ours in a demanding job and still earn less than £40k?

Presumably they all had the chance to apply for that job.

varian Thu 14-Jun-18 20:12:49

Are you assuming that poor underpaid Alex Jones is envious of her colleague?

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Jun-18 20:17:50

No!
You kwim varian!
Your post

varian Thu 14-Jun-18 20:18:58

Is Alex Jones really worth ten times as much as a doctor, nurse, architect, engineer, teacher, firefighter or policeman?

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Jun-18 20:20:03

You're worth as much as someone is willing to pay you.

Like houses - worth as much as someone is willing to pay.

It is not my decision to make.

varian Thu 14-Jun-18 20:22:14

Perhaps the BBC overlpays presenters.

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Jun-18 20:23:16

Well, that's another question altogether and well worth pursuing.

varian Thu 14-Jun-18 20:23:19

overpays

Nanabilly Thu 14-Jun-18 20:32:22

If your boss offered you £400k salary would you say "no go and share it among the lower paid workers"
No I wouldn't either ..it's not her or anyone else's fault they get offered stupid amounts but I don't blame them one bit for snatching their hands off because the industry is so fickle they could be on the scrapheap next week.
Hasten to add that a lot of them belong there too.

JustALaugh Thu 14-Jun-18 21:49:23

I don't understand it either. I've never been well-off, but when my eldest son was born, my husband and I decided I'd stay at home whilst he worked (overtime, weekends as well, to earn a decent wage). Our 2nd son was born 3 years later, and we had a mortgage by then (100% council one). That son had severe Asthma, was in and out of hospital many times. I had a few temporary evening jobs when my husband was in from work, but I didn't work full-time until my boys were 18 and 15! We never had a babysitter even once. It was a real struggle, financially, but it suited us to do that.

Eloethan Fri 15-Jun-18 00:45:35

I expect if you have a high profile job that is well paid and that you enjoy very much, it is understandable that you wouldn't want to risk not being able to get a similar position if you take a long break to be with your children.

Personally, I would have been quite happy to stay at home but that was because I loathed my job and only did it because it was a financial necessity. If I had been doing a job I loved, I expect I would have felt differently.

I believe the commercial TV stations pay a lot more than the BBC. I don't understand why certain people in media and sport are criticised for the money they are paid - eg footballers and TV presenters - when people seem much more accepting of others who are paid astronomical amounts.

PamelaJ1 Fri 15-Jun-18 07:01:55

When most of us had our babies we didn’t have much of a choice.
No childminders or nurseries where we lived. No concessions for mother’s at work.
I think it is so difficult for Mother’s today, they seem to have it all but they don’t really do they? I’m sure many of them would love to stay at home with their baby.
I would hope that Alex spends a lot of time with her baby and has got excellent care in place. Maybe the nanny and baby were in the “green room” while she was on loose women!

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 07:14:40

Oh god not another one who’s turned herself into an author . What kind of book is it ? Self help, advice to yummy mummy’s ?

Alex Jones is by no means underpaid (Shame on her for suggesting she is) . Her co-presenter does far more on TV than she does, do probably should get more, although not anywhere near as much as he does. This is tax payers money after all.

Anniebach Fri 15-Jun-18 08:22:09

You don’t have to buy or read the book gilly.

paddyann Fri 15-Jun-18 08:48:22

I loved my job ,I loved my babies too and I wouldn't have let one interfere with the other.That why I was back in my office 8 days after giving birth to my daughter ...with her in her pram by my side.
I was a bit longer with my son as he was very premature and his first 3 months were spent in special care with me at his side.He did come to work with me though when it was right for him.And me .
It doesn't HAVE to be one or the other,whats right for me ...or Alex Jones doesn't have to be how you play things .I daresay she thinks the same about SAHM's.