Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Looking for a Work From Home Job to do along side my Part Time Day Job

(35 Posts)
PinkSweetPea Thu 13-Sep-18 14:06:42

I work part time only 14 hours a week and I'm struggling financially. Despite searching for another job or more hours for the last 5 years I have found nothing, does not help that I don't drive and live in quite a small town and not many jobs about.

I have been researching work from home jobs and found some but when I apply I don't seem to hear back or no vacancies or based in US.

Any one any ideas or know of jobs that can be done from home, or even ideas for something I could do alongside my part time job.

Thanks

HootyMcOwlface Sun 23-Sep-18 18:59:59

Syd261 would you mind giving us a bit more info on that, sounds interesting.

SuzanneNoble Mon 24-Sep-18 08:39:46

There's quite a few things you can do from home, but they depend on your skillset. Helping businesses with their social media, dog walking, life coaching, massage/healing. I run a Business Academy starting on Wednesday aimed at helping over 50s create their own business. It's on a pay-what-you-can-afford basis as we're a social enterprise. If you're interested in signing up (depending on where you live), we'd love to have you on the course. www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/advantages-of-age-6-month-business-academy-for-over-50s-tickets-48794331158

JackyB Mon 24-Sep-18 11:59:56

As a trained secretary, you will have a good command of English and you could see if there are courses offered for immigrants who need to learn English; they may require teachers. These jobs may, however, be on a volumtary basis, I don't know what it's like in the UK.

PinkSweetPea Mon 24-Sep-18 13:08:03

Suzanne - thanks for your reply, the course is too far for me, but hope it goes well.

Situpstraight1 Mon 24-Sep-18 14:22:59

How about buying cheap furniture from auctions, painting it and then selling it online? Auction houses will deliver and buyers can collect, you could buy and paint smaller items as well as chest of drawers etc. Shabby chic is still popular.

Can you sew, or do crafts? Again make things and sell them on Ebay or Etsy. This time of the year make Christmas cards, gift tags, lots of ideas on Pinterest for you to look at.

There are Proof Reading courses online too, but I think the days of a Home Typist have gone.

Might be time to get driving lessons?

Willow500 Mon 24-Sep-18 14:38:04

I think the virtual assistant idea is a good one - I've thought about this for myself as I will be out of work by the end of the year. Someone posted a link to another company some time ago so if you look online I think there may be other sites to look into. Typing itself is probably a thing of the past but if you've done PA work looking after someone's diary and perhaps conference bookings might work. If you've done accounts you could perhaps look into that - I know someone who goes round different farms doing their books for them.

Good luck.

PinkSweetPea Mon 24-Sep-18 15:22:22

Willow500 - I quite fancy the virtual assistant idea, would be no good at accounts but have done conference bookings and other admin work before. Will look into it. Hope you manage to find something when your job ends.

PinkSweetPea Mon 24-Sep-18 15:25:17

Thanks Situpstraight for reply. Don't think I would be any good at the painting, craft work, I'm not very artistic and have plenty of furniture myself that I keep saying I want to upcycle but never got it done yet.

I could not afford driving lessons now, wish I could drive would make life easier sometimes.

NannyGla Mon 01-Oct-18 13:29:42

Hi Pink Sweet Pea. I am 62 and sell children’s books. They are beautiful and Mums and children love them. I am self employed with instant contact to advice from a variety of people. I have made friends through this, including friends of my own age. I love what I do; it’s now my hobby and earns me money. I love the challenge and when the book# arrive it feels like Christmas. I work whatever hours I choose and when I choose. I have never done anything I enjoy this much. Feel free to make contact if you would like more info.