Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

To give up work - making me ill!

(43 Posts)
MaggieTulliver Sat 16-Feb-19 09:43:57

I'm 61, working and was planning on retiring at the usual pension age of 66 (or later). I work in admin for the NHS and until recently loved the job but new management has completely ruined it for me and I'm now stressed and anxious about work. I've been trying to resolve things with management but am getting nowhere.

I fear I may have to leave for my health's sake. I own a desirable property and one option would be to downsize which would give me enough to live on until I can get my pension in just over 5 years' time. I live on my own with a daughter at uni. Obviously downsizing will affect her inheritance but I want her to have a well and happy mum!

MissAdventure Sat 16-Feb-19 09:50:39

I wouldn't think twice about it.
Life is too short to spend time on things which make you unhappy if there are other options.

Luckygirl Sat 16-Feb-19 09:57:45

Do it! - do it! - do it! You only have one life - enjoy it!

I retired at 60 and the last 10 years have been a saga of health problems, both for me and OH. If I had delayed till 66, especially in a job that was stressing me, I would have had no relaxed retirement at all.

Urmstongran Sat 16-Feb-19 10:01:24

Definitely do it Maggie you won’t regret it! We downsized and then retired - I was 60y and had worked in admin in the NHS for over 30y. Your mental health trumps bricks and mortar any day. Good luck! ?

GrandmaMoira Sat 16-Feb-19 10:02:30

I worked in admin in the NHS and the last few years were a complete nightmare. Luckily I was able to get my pension at 62. I feel 10 years younger for retiring and life is so much better. Can you get your NHS pension now and use the lump sum to eke it out until you get your state pension?
I would do whatever I can to leave as soon as possible.
Most of us downsize at some stage so I wouldn't worry about inheritance.

MaggieTulliver Sat 16-Feb-19 10:06:47

Thank you so much everyone for your encouraging words! Interesting to hear your story Moira - did you work in a hospital? I can't take my NHS pension yet but do have a small private pension which would help.

MawBroon Sat 16-Feb-19 10:07:14

No job is worth jeopardising your health - so take the plunge, but do check out all the financial implications.
Might your working conditions possibly constitute constructive dismissal? Would redundancy be a possibility?
I would talk to your union rep OR if your house insurance provides this (I’ve just found out mine does) perhaps consult an Employment legislation lawyer.
In other words, don’t jump if you can arrange to be pushed!

janeainsworth Sat 16-Feb-19 10:08:09

Do you qualify for an NHS pension maggie ? You might be able to access that earlier than your state pension.
If you previously enjoyed your job it seems a pity to give it up. Obviously I don’t know how or why the new management have spoiled things for you, but if you’ve tried to resolve it and got nowhere with them, the words ‘constructive dismissal’ spring to mind.
Have they followed the proper grievance policy? Do you belong to a union? ACAS can be helpful.

Personally I’ve enjoyed every minute of my retirement, but I went at a time more or less of my own choosing, and it didn’t involve financial worries. You sound as though you don’t really want to retire just yet, and perhaps you don’t want to move from your present home?

Le15 Sat 16-Feb-19 10:08:46

Yes I agree with other ladies here I retired last June from gp practice at 60 I too used to love the job but unfortunately it all changed with new manager and was very stressful but I have never looked back and im enjoying my new found
freedom good luck

janeainsworth Sat 16-Feb-19 10:10:45

Sorry a few more posts appeared while I was composing mine & I see that great minds do think alike mawbroon & grandma moira

Jane10 Sat 16-Feb-19 10:17:48

I retired from NHS for similar reasons. Phew! I found that I could manage quite well on my NHS pension. I somehow needed less. I won't get my state pension for 2 years.
However, my NHS pension included some past added years which I'd been paying for (at a considerable cost!) but was well worth it. Is it possible for you to somehow 'beef up' yours for a while in some way? Although I know the rules have changed a lot since I left.
I also cashed a small AVC which was going nowhere. Do a real review of possible financial resources and take flight to retirement world. You'll love it!

cornergran Sat 16-Feb-19 10:20:43

I’ve seen many people in your situation and it seemed to me the best option for most was to hasten slowly. Take some space to consider all options work-wise, if necessary see your GP and have some sick leave. Most GPs are sympathetic to these situations. Employment advice seems needed, either internally or externally, could you change to a different department or even work part time? Perhaps a financial advisor or a trusted friend to look at finances with you, talk to your daughter. You may have done some or all of these things, if so my apologies. Think forward, how would you like your life to be in retirement, a house move would fill space for months but what then? Would you like to work again or have a voluntary role? If you downsize would you stay in the same area and so have contacts and friends? I’m not being negative, just wanting the best thing for you. Take the space to decide, you’re worth some time, use sick leave if needed. If after thinking it all through retirement is the best option then go for it. I was an NHS employee, a different role but still stressful. I dug my escape tunnel and came out of the other side, meeting an an ex colleague some months later I was told I looked 10 years younger. I certainly felt it. Come back and let us know how things go for you. Wishing you well whatever your decision.

Sunlover Sat 16-Feb-19 10:30:24

I wouldn't hesitate to leave if the job is making you unhappy. Life is too short to struggle on doing a job that stresses you out. I left teaching 7 years ago and have no regrets. I have done some supply work which has supplemented my pension,but I can pick and choose when I work and I can walk away at the end of the day without worries. Maybe you could find a part time job doing something compydifferent.

FarNorth Sat 16-Feb-19 10:35:11

Ask your daughter what she thinks.
I bet she'll say she wants you to be well and happy too.

gillybob Sat 16-Feb-19 10:38:28

Work is making both me and my DH ill too Maggie so if there was even the tiniest chance we could pack it all in we would jump at it. Sadly not though. As others have said if you are able to, you should do it and enjoy a long and happy retirement. Good luck to you. smile

HildaW Sat 16-Feb-19 10:39:54

Make sure you get advise about the health problems created by changes in your work place. Its important because ill health due to stress and anxiety is being taken seriously by some employers as they realise they could be taken to tribunals. A good friend of mine had this and after getting metical help and making a lot of noise at her work they began to realise the damage they had done and negotiations for a much better settlement were put in place. So get good advise and make sure you get the best deal.
As to your daughter....am sure she'd rather have a happy Mum than a big house any day. Good luck.

glammanana Sat 16-Feb-19 10:46:18

I would do as suggested and go and have a chat with your Dr. and take some sick leave then really look into your finances with your daughter,why work when it is making you so unhappy.
Can you register with NHS bank for holiday relief or part time cover if you want to earn a wee bit in the future.

Thingmajig Sat 16-Feb-19 10:48:20

I was being stressed out at work too, and after a particularly bad few weeks decided to take early retirement when I turned 55 ... I did qualify for the superannuation (NHS) pension so could manage on that and the husbands pensions thankfully. It'll be a great bonus when I eventually get my state pension in "only" another 6 years!!!
Best decision ever so if you can afford to, don't hesitate. None of us know what's around the corner and I'm sure your daughter would rather you be happy and healthy that worry about her inheritance many years down the line! flowers

MaggieTulliver Sat 16-Feb-19 11:49:02

Lots more food for thought - thank you! I suffer with quite severe anxiety anyway and had always thought work was a protective factor as it really keeps my monkey mind occupied! But now it's contributing to the anxiety rather than lessening it.

Feel really on edge today because I have a long weekend and not going in until Tuesday. I don't like being off when there are problems that need resolving...

stella1949 Sat 16-Feb-19 11:52:36

Nobody should stay at work in order to give their children a better inheritance - I'm sure your daughter would be horrified to know that you were thinking like that. Stop work if you are miserable - life is too short to stay when you are unhappy.

Luckygirl Sat 16-Feb-19 11:58:21

I agree - forget the inheritance.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Feb-19 12:01:23

I can see your point about work keeping you occupied, Maggie but wouldn't it be lovely to do something you look forward to instead?
Maybe some temping or voluntary work?
That way you'll still have some routine.

Anja Sat 16-Feb-19 12:05:06

You get your State Pension at 66, but you should be able to access your NHS pension when you choose to retire I think.

Firstly though speak to your Union Rep and your Line Manager. Before you do that Google the term Constructive Dismissal. Then mention it to both Union Rep and LM.

Being forced to leave a job you like because of these changes and not getting any help from management is Constructive Dismissal.

MaggieTulliver Sat 16-Feb-19 12:05:42

Yes I would certainly want to do something - volunteering with animals would be top of my list! It's such a shame - I actually enjoyed going to work but not now. Thank you all again for your kindness and taking the time to help me.

Anja Sat 16-Feb-19 12:06:36

Oops Maw just read your post. Same thoughts.