Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Me again needing yet another dose of courage

(49 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 06-Mar-19 20:59:02

As is usual for me in the last little while, I have work related issues.
Namely, one job too many.

I work for an agency, and haven't had too much work, so I've been applying for other things in the meantime.

Sods law means that I'm supposed to be starting a new job on Monday, but I don't want to now!

The agency are now finding me nice shifts, with good hours (mostly) and so, well, the second job doesn't seem like quite such a good idea now.

I would appreciate your input on the best way to let them know (email? At least I don't have to speak to a scary person!)
Also, I'm terrified of things like this for some reason.
A good talking to usually boosts my confidence. smile

GrannyGravy13 Wed 06-Mar-19 21:03:04

MissA if it's by email be truthful, they will appreciate your honesty. Which might keep the door open if need be in the future.

Bridgeit Wed 06-Mar-19 21:04:52

Option one, tell them the truth
Option two. tell them due to unforeseen circumstances you will be unable to take the job.
I think telling the truth & offering apologies would be best. Good luck

MissAdventure Wed 06-Mar-19 21:07:08

Oh yes, I will be truthful.
Its mostly because it all seems so disorganised; its term time only, which I had thought was ideal, but nobody seems to know how the wages work out, whether or not they pay 'standby' when its school holidays, and how many hours I might work. confused
I don't do well with things being that unsettled.
Plus the pay is poo!
(I won't be THAT honest in my email)

Bridgeit Wed 06-Mar-19 21:13:00

?Best wishe’s, hope all goes well .

MissAdventure Wed 06-Mar-19 21:14:27

Thank you.
I'm sure it will be fine. (Quaking in my boots!)

GrannyGravy13 Wed 06-Mar-19 21:22:07

MissA I get a"nervous" tummy whenever I have a dilemma, my family think it's hysterical "Mothers in the lavatory again"!!! So I totally get how you feel. You know what's correct for you, and we are all behind you x

Tangerine Wed 06-Mar-19 21:22:40

I suspect, if it's term time only, they would calculate the wages on a monthly or four weekly basis. My friend is a TA and she was paid monthly.

In your position, I would send them a truthful email.

sodapop Wed 06-Mar-19 21:41:19

Yes but be diplomatic MissA the unforseen circumstances is a good way out and you appreciate their offer etc.
It will be fine, don't worry.

Anniebach Wed 06-Mar-19 21:50:23

I would opt for’ with regret’ ‘unforeseen circumstances’ , ‘your appreciation’ , and ‘an apology’ by email

What ever you choose , do it tonight or you will be troubled through the night.

MissAdventure Wed 06-Mar-19 21:51:41

Well, unforeseen circumstances is not even a fib, so that's good.
I didn't know the agency were going to offer me some more shifts.

Thank you all; sometimes it helps to know you have people behind you, as it were. smile
I really do appreciate it - I really struggle with things like this.

Anniebach Wed 06-Mar-19 22:00:13

When you applied for the job you didn’t know your employer was going offer you nicer shifts so this was unforeseen ?, do it now x

MissAdventure Wed 06-Mar-19 22:01:20

You know me so well, Annie!
Do I really have to do it now?
I'm hyperventilating I think.

Anniebach Wed 06-Mar-19 22:13:28

Yep now, once done you will stop hyperventilating, if you leave it until tomorrow you will be awake most of the night agonising if you should even though you want to, going over and over what to say and continue to hyperventilate ,and it’s not good for your boots . Yes get it done now for the sake of your tummy, lungs and boots , then forget it . X

MissAdventure Wed 06-Mar-19 22:33:34

Thank you Mrs bossyboots. thanks
I do mean that in the nicest possible way, Annie.
Exactly what I needed, and its done now.
I wouldn't have done it without a gentle push, and would have made things worse for myself. smile

Anniebach Wed 06-Mar-19 22:43:07

I read all your posts MissAdventure, I remember when you were doing all that traveling to work , you were exhausted. You do not need more stress x sleep well x

MissAdventure Wed 06-Mar-19 22:48:26

smile
You really are a lovely lot, you know.
I don't know how I would have got through the last couple of years without some kindness, and I've certainly been shown plenty on here.
Thanks again all. X

Jalima1108 Wed 06-Mar-19 22:54:44

Well, you could type it out now, and there are some good suggestions above, keeping your options open.
You could then save it in drafts and we will nag you to send it in the morning. You could have more inspiration overnight.

Alternatively, you could worry more overnight so send it now.

I'm worse than you for dithering grin
To think I used to be so organised at work.

MissAdventure Wed 06-Mar-19 22:58:39

Keep up, woman.
It's sent.
I suppose a kind of bonus is that I'm going to a funeral tomorrow, so I can turn my phone off.
(Cowardy.Custard.icon)

Jalima1108 Wed 06-Mar-19 23:00:08

Oh dear.
I thought you meant you'd written it

Well done.

MissAdventure Wed 06-Mar-19 23:02:56

I'm still all a-tremble.
What a wimp!!
Logic tells me they'll just replace me but I hate this kind of thing.

Urmstongran Wed 06-Mar-19 23:15:03

Hi MissA I’ve just got in from book club.
Well done you!
And great GN support ?
When you know a fit isn’t right, stop struggling.
Sleep well now!

MissAdventure Wed 06-Mar-19 23:20:40

Thank you, Urmston.
I barely slept a wink last night because I think my mind was wavering about the job situation.

grannyactivist Wed 06-Mar-19 23:21:26

MissA a problem shared is a problem halved, but a problem shelved will keep you awake at night!

Glad you've done the deed and can now put it behind you. smile

MissAdventure Wed 06-Mar-19 23:23:46

Oh, I'm glad too grannya
You've no idea how glad!