Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

New business - but what to call myself?!

(31 Posts)
Missfoodlove Fri 19-Jul-19 09:30:11

Mitramonday, great that you are looking to start a new business, however I’m not sure how much demand there will for such a service.
Have you thought about teaching “ non tech savvy” people how to use tablets, phones etc?
I know many people who would love someone to bring them up to date with technology.
Alexa for example is a great aid for the elderly as she will telephone someone on demand and will also set reminders.
Smart TVs are not being used to their full potential and mobile phones are mis sold to older people.
I really think setting people up with the right technology and making sure they can use it would be a valuable service.

ninathenana Fri 19-Jul-19 08:02:44

"Shop for you"

NotAGran55 Fri 19-Jul-19 07:29:15

Ladies on the Purse Forum who shop high end - Hermes Chanel ‘ Cartier etc always refer to the the assistants in the shops as ‘ My S.A ‘ . They keep in touch with them , repeat buying etc and feel very looked after .

If I was setting up a business like yours ( great idea by the way ) I might call it ‘ MY Sales Assistant ‘ With a big emphasis on the colour / font etc for the MY .

stella1949 Fri 19-Jul-19 01:01:13

I'm a great believer in making sure that the name tells people what you do - don't try to be too clever or they won't know what the service is.

I'd go with something self-explanatory like " Sally's Virtual Shopping Service" .

rosecarmel Thu 18-Jul-19 23:08:07

Hi! I don't know where you live, but there are several businesses already doing take out and grocery delivery in the US and the UK- Would you consider working for them 1st to get some experience under your belt prior to starting your own? There is Instacart in the US and I'm sure the UK has an equivalent - Aldi has joined Instacart in the US-

Mitramonday Thu 18-Jul-19 22:40:50

I'm about to start my own business. Initially, I thought I would go down the 'Virtual Administrator' route (basically a PA but online!) but that, although fairly recent, already seems like a fairly crowded market. I'm now thinking more along the lines of being a Virtual Shopper - BUT I'm not interested in 'styling' people, just in providing a shopping service to those who are too busy/not tech-savvy/not able to do so for themselves. Anything from groceries, to a fancy-dress outfit for their child, to domestic appliances, to booking travel/hotels/parties etc.
Now - the question! What do I call this service?! "Personal Shopper" just seems to refer to providing a styling service; "Online Shop Assistant" points to being employed by a specific retailer hmm
Do any of you lovely ladies out there have some ideas for me? TIA