Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Making me ill

(61 Posts)
Evie64 Tue 24-Sep-19 19:13:49

Hi all, would benefit from some advice. I have worked hard all my life. I took early retirement from the NHS and then worked freelance for a couple of years. Then we moved from London down to Devon to be near our daughters and granddaughter. Husband refuses to try and find any work, so it's been down to me to earn some money so that we have something left of our savings for our old age or to leave to our girls. I was also going stir crazy staying at home, and husband isn't the nicest person to spend time with so I took a part time job as a Finance/Medical/H&S Officer in a local primary school for 26 hours per week and have been there for 7 years now. I really loved it, it was my "sanctuary". However, we have been taken over by yet another Academy Trust (the 2nd in 2 years) and things are just awful at the moment. The new Business Manager is sour faced and makes no attempt whatsoever to interact with any of us. Our admin team is one full time staff member down with no replacements on the horizon as the Trust is too busy trying to save money. We currently have 1.8 whole time equivalent admin staff to run a school with 608 children and 91 staff and it's just impossible. I am so stressed and so sad that I keep bursting into tears. I emailed the powers that be with my concerns and didn't even get an acknowledgement. As a result I am looking for another job but sadly, even with employment law on my side, at almost 65 years old, I can't even get an interview. I don't include my age on any applications, but it's easy enough to work out my age by my previous jobs and experience. What do I do? Go on long term sick leave with work related stress, which is real possibility, or continue to work there and be unable to do my job safely or effectively. It's only a matter of time before something goes very wrong. I am at my wit's end and can't stop crying.

pinkquartz Tue 01-Oct-19 17:46:32

It is very sad. One of my grandchildren was at an Academy some years ago and the teaching standard was shockingly bad.
Also you have to buy the school uniform at their school shop. It was very expensive, No generic clothes form supermarkets allowed. My friends with ordinary schools didn't believe it could be that way.

We know now don't we.
Next question why isn't this being opposed and stopped.

Evie64 Mon 09-Dec-19 22:17:14

Hello all my lovely gransnetters who have been soooo kind and supportive. I took 2 weeks off work with stress. Just to update you on my situation. They have at last interviewed and employed someone who will start with us on 6th Jan, after the Christmas holidays, so things are at last looking up. In the meantime, I have "taken a step back" and no longer take my job so seriously, nobody dies if I'm not there so why should I worry so much? In the meantime, my husband will get his pension in January so I'm thinking of cutting my hours down as I'll be able to afford to. I might even retire but will need a plan to fill my time, probably voluntary work. In any event, I'm much happier, thanks to you lot. So once again, thank you so much for your advice.

M0nica Mon 09-Dec-19 22:29:05

Evie I am glad you have had such a happy outcome.

Nico97 Mon 09-Dec-19 23:20:24

Evie64 flowers

Hetty58 Tue 10-Dec-19 00:21:18

I think I'd ask for part time or reduced hours work. They would have to get somebody else in (probably full time) and your workload would then be lighter. You can't possibly squeeze your previous level of work into the shorter hours. Do not make yourself ill as it's just not worth it.

sodapop Tue 10-Dec-19 09:03:07

Good news Evie so glad things have worked out for you, good luck for the future.

Hetty58 Tue 10-Dec-19 09:16:22

(cross posted) Isn't it funny how people suddenly sit up and notice how much you do - when you're not there!

Tiny1 Tue 10-Dec-19 09:21:16

Think of it like this, put your hand in a bucket of water, take it out and have a look. Nobody would know you had ever been there, right? A job is a job. None of us are irreplaceable. Do what you have to do that is best for YOU.

Evie64 Wed 11-Dec-19 18:39:54

Thanks girlies grin

FeeReilly Wed 25-Dec-19 07:41:30

So glad things are looking up for Evie64. I've just joined this forum as I'm thinking of making a career change.