Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

When does it hit?

(50 Posts)
harry1960 Tue 10-Dec-19 18:07:56

So I'm retiring very soon which is exciting.

Lots of people say the honeymoon phase soon hits you - in your experience, when does the honeymoon phase end?

Esmerelda Wed 11-Dec-19 11:43:37

Never!

jannxxx Wed 11-Dec-19 11:47:00

depends on the person, if you have a list like i do of all the things i can now do, its still going strong, but if your one of those people who need something to do, and cant think of what to do then its over pretty quick i suppose

MawB Wed 11-Dec-19 11:49:26

Well it just shows how different we all are.
Volunteering did not appeal as I had commitments with a chronically ill DH. And I had no desire to pick up a new physical activity or craft hobby! I did toy with the idea of golf - and dropped it immediately.
I enjoy learning so U3A and similar courses have provided both enjoyment and the pleasure of being with like-minded people.
Give things a go, but do not over commit.
Leave time for your friends, your family, yourself.

suttonJ Wed 11-Dec-19 12:25:06

Loved my career, but got out at the right time. I was ready to let the next generation take over and do it their way....
Embrace the future with as much gusto as you can. There are so many enjoyable challenges to embrace. For me, I've gone nuts about learning with U3A, taken up with the Ramblers (friendliest organisation going, at least round here) and now count myself as an experienced genealogist.
As long as you have good health, take retirement by the scruff of the neck and go for it! (Mmm, mixed metaphors I think!)

Craftycat Wed 11-Dec-19 12:25:30

8 years on & I'm still in the honeymoon phase- I LOVE being retired & pleasing myself what I do every day- mind you when DH retires things will change!!!!

Patticake123 Wed 11-Dec-19 13:01:27

I thoroughly enjoyed the first couple of weeks, my honeymoon, then I had around a year to adjust. 9 years on and I love it, the thought of going to work gives me the shivers! Enjoy your retirement to the full, freedom at last!

JeannieB44 Wed 11-Dec-19 13:26:25

It's been 4 years since hubby retired I am still not used to it ????

whywhywhy Wed 11-Dec-19 13:34:36

We are all different. I took early retirement due to stress within the NHS job at the hospital BUT I would love to go back and do everything different. I enjoyed working among people and the loneliness at times during this retirement can really be all consuming. Plus I battle with depression on a daily basis which doesnt help. My husband retired at the beginning of September and he loves every minute. Sorry I don't love my retirement.

widgeon3 Wed 11-Dec-19 14:10:15

where do you live polnan?

grandtanteJE65 Wed 11-Dec-19 15:38:20

I am thankful every morning when I wake up that I don't have to rush off to school after breakfast.

As long as you have plenty to do that you enjoy doing and good health retirement is wonderful in my opinion.

Saggi Wed 11-Dec-19 16:06:25

I’m with you NotTooOld......2nd worst decision I ever made!!! Five years and still regretting it! I’m so bored!

Sleepygran Wed 11-Dec-19 16:11:18

Been retired 9 years now and I'm only just coming out of the honeymoon period!
I don't wake up now and think how lovely, don't have to go to work! Which I did for 8 years plus.Its finally sinking in!
I don't miss anything about going to work and it's still special that everyday I choose my activities (or not).

sodapop Wed 11-Dec-19 16:26:17

Yes its more difficult if one's health is not good I agree grandetante but so nice to sit here by the fire with Gransnet and not have to worry about work.

Daddima Wed 11-Dec-19 16:33:54

I had to retire through ill health 3 years ago, so my ‘honeymoon’ didn’t happen. I only worked part time and loved my job, so I couldn’t enjoy it. Now, the Bodach’s Alzheimer’s and cancer are progressing rapidly, and I wish I was better able to care for him. So I’d say to the newly retired, go on that trip, and spend that money. As my granny used to say, ‘ To Hell wi’ poverty, put another pea in the soup’!

Oldandverygrey Wed 11-Dec-19 16:35:34

Loathe every minute of it.

Speldnan Wed 11-Dec-19 17:27:00

Been retired 8 years and totally happy and always busy-seeing family and friends, shopping, running, decorating, drawing and painting, knitting, gardening ,could go on and on. If you’re resourceful and have interests and family I think you’ll enjoy it and not look back.

Jillybird Wed 11-Dec-19 17:40:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SunnySusie Wed 11-Dec-19 18:46:21

Retired four years and loving every minute. I tell everyone its the best career I have ever had. I like to be busy, but the joy of retirement is that I get to choose everything that I do. There are not enough hours in the day and at least half a dozen things I would like to try but havent currently got time to do. I have met so many wonderful people and learnt so much. Its an absolute joy. I think the honeymoon period is still going strong.

BlueSapphire Thu 12-Dec-19 07:54:33

Retired early in 2001, and still overjoyed that I don't have to get up in the mornings and go to work/school! The best day was that first day of term when I thought of everyone else sat in the staffroom having the morning briefing! And DH and I booked a holiday for that September, what a relief that was to be able to go away in term time. I felt I had got my life back.

I still enjoy that sense of freedom 17 years down the line, and being able to decide stuff on the day and not be ruled by a calendar or timetable.

MawB Thu 12-Dec-19 09:08:45

I think OP is overthinking this.
There is no rehearsal for life’s journey. By all means make financial provision, if you can, but who knows what is round the corner?
An Art teacher friend retired shortly before I did, had a stroke in the middle of the summer holidays and was incapacitated until his death a few years later.
A colleague had planned to travel with his wife after his (early retirement) at 55. Her breast cancer returned and they had to give up on that as she was not well enough.
Sorry to be depressing, but life is for living and if you are lucky enough to have good health and adequate finances to enjoy your retirement, that is more than is permitted to some of us. So enjoy it!

merlotgran Thu 12-Dec-19 09:33:08

DH had a stroke six months after retiring. Luckily he recovered but could no longer drive. I retired shortly afterwards and was already involved in my mother's care but even though I was busy with their commitments I still enjoyed that feeling of freedom.

Friends visited last year whom we haven't seen for years. They told us all about their activities/hobbies/travel/family etc., etc. I felt worn out then when they stopped for breath they looked at me and said,

'And what do you do?'

Um...…..'Nothing?' grin

BStP Thu 12-Dec-19 10:21:24

I love retirement and find time passes very quickly. Best bit of advice I had was not to make any commitments in the first 6 months to give yourself enough time to really think about what you want to do and not just do what you think you should be doing. I am so glad i took that advice and didnt sign up to anything and everything immediately just to fill my time.

Mapleleaf Sat 14-Dec-19 08:24:31

It took me a while to get used to not going out to work full time, and I felt quite guilty when I did stop altogether for some a good while, but I am now enjoying the time to do what I want when I want to do it. I do not miss the commute, and being stuck in crawling traffic to get to and from work, I don't miss the work I did, ( though I thought I would) - it had reached the point where it was sapping my energy and over taking my life. Yes, it requires adjustment, but no way would I want to go back to what I was doing.

Mapleleaf Sat 14-Dec-19 08:25:44

Ignore the word "some" - not sure how that crept in!