Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Work resignation

(45 Posts)
Nanna29 Wed 31-Aug-22 12:53:23

Hello ive posted on here before and I got loads of support so here goes
I've worked as a carer for 9 years been with the same company for 8 years.
I walk around in the community.
When I started we mutually agreed my availability is from 9am till 9.30pm some days I would finish earlier. I've had issues with them in the past and decided to join a union which I kept private as I suspected this may cause issues. Very recently they had put 7am starts on me I contacted the owner and explained I have a son who is 12 and I dont have childcare and this wasn't agreed as other agreement in place. Was told they didn't know I had a son and I had to do it I may add she has been to my house and met my son also ringing on my days off threatening you to do training when its not due in for another 10 days and ringing if your on holiday to come in and do hours. So I said I will have to ask for advice from my union. I worked throughout covid with them and wasn't allowed holidays and other stuff. As soon as I mentioned union was told go ahead but I still have to do hours.
Well I did something I never thought I would ever do I phoned in sick and got a sick note from the doctor for a month as my menopause is awful and I'm unable to sleep etc. I went for an interview for another job and I got it! I feel so happy so I have resigned and I leave before sick note runs out. I feel like a different person I have loads of energy im so happy I have been sleeping better. But I feel guilty. I've just received an email from owner asking if they can do anything to support me do I have to reply I dont want to be sucked into anything .

Rosina Sun 04-Sep-22 17:50:54

Well done Nanna - and every good wish for yor new job. This is clearly what you needed to do as you now feel so much better. flowers

biglouis Sat 03-Sep-22 00:37:54

As other posters have pointed out you may need a reference one day. I would just thank them politely and decline.

When it comes to your resignation letter you do not have to give a reason. If pressed you could just say you felt it was time for a change or a "new challenge".

MissAdventure Sat 03-Sep-22 00:06:16

smile
That's a bonus, then.
A nice rest in the best part of the summer (the end of it!)

Nanna29 Fri 02-Sep-22 22:17:20

Thanks everyone im not starting till sick note ends

Blondiescot Fri 02-Sep-22 20:01:00

Good for you, Nanna29! And as the others have said, I would just move on gracefully. I know what you mean about feeling relieved though. I recently quit my job - not without some thought - because while I loved the job itself and most of the people I worked with, my immediate manager was making my life hell. After one phone call with her in which she berated and belittled me for something I had had absolutely nothing to do with, I came off the phone, thought 'I've had enough of this sh**' and immediately wrote out my resignation and left it on her desk. I too felt relief. No job is worth making yourself ill over - physically and mentally.

Cossy Fri 02-Sep-22 19:48:42

Well done Nanna29 ! Good luck and no, I don’t think you should contact them

Azalea99 Fri 02-Sep-22 17:54:59

May I just add one point to other posters’s good wishes - don’t start the new job while the sick note is still valid. Obvious, I’m sure, but your post doesn’t make it clear when you’ll start.
Best of luck.

Gabrielle56 Fri 02-Sep-22 16:56:05

I'd say whatever you DO-DONT !! Treat them as if they don't exist, they're trying to mess with your head because you got one over on them! Well done you ?? you have a better future and don't need their grubby past. Onwards and upwards!!?

Nanna29 Fri 02-Sep-22 15:47:40

Thank you everyone it really means a lot ?and yes I cant wait to start really looking forward to it. I cant believe how happy I feel. I feel like a new woman

red1 Fri 02-Sep-22 14:49:04

you would not have left if you liked your place of work, you have got a fresh start,goodbye to the old.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 02-Sep-22 13:58:39

If you feel as happy as you obviously do, then it seems equally obvious that you have done the right thing. Well done you!! Congratulations on the new job and the advice to say "Thanks but no thanks" to the old employer seems to me to be good.

Best wishes for your new start flowers

Babs758 Fri 02-Sep-22 13:46:24

A polite letter saying thank you for your offer but no will suffice and congratulations for getting out of there!

Theoddbird Fri 02-Sep-22 13:43:46

Congratulations on the new job. I so hope you will be happy at last.

Coco51 Fri 02-Sep-22 13:37:31

I think there would be little point in commencing unfair/consstructive dismissal proceedings as you have another job. If the pay was substantially less you could show a loss, but unless it was significant you would be put through the ringer to recover, and your sick certificate might be used against you, so it might notbe worth it. As to the offer of support I would be inclined to list the occasions that drove you to look for another job and bid them farewell. (In the best possible taste, though as it could impact on your reference)

Growing0ldDisgracefully Fri 02-Sep-22 12:45:02

As I expect your union has said, and other responders on here, just a non- committal rejection of the (token and too late) offer of help. As a former union rep that is the advice I also would give.
I did see a really amusing post on Facebook where an ex employee sent an 'in sympathy' card as a resignation (sorry for your loss!) but probably not what you should do!
I did a no-holds-barred 'what a bunch of barstewards our managers are which is why I am leaving' resignation letter (SO satisfying!) but I wasn't going to need a reference as I took early retirement, rather than get ground under the heel of the new manager.
You sound really upbeat and positive about your new job, and I wish you many happy years of employment with them. .

Jess20 Fri 02-Sep-22 12:10:19

Company worried you'll do them for 'constructive dismissal' or something, possibly even realising they have lost a valuable staff member who can't be replaced! Do nothing except be sure you've got all your holiday pay etc, let them stew. Congrats on new job!

nipsmum Fri 02-Sep-22 12:00:53

Well done you. You don't need them . You have given them your best years of service and you have been treated without respect. Enjoy your new job. Don't look back. I have been exactly where you are and never regretted the change for a minute. Best wishes.

Ktsmum Fri 02-Sep-22 11:37:13

They are trying to avoid a constructive dismissal case! ??

Nanna29 Wed 31-Aug-22 18:20:17

Hi because I have always started at 9am and never before this was mentioned in a message from a manager I have kept the message so it proves that has always been my availability. New job is shifts so everyone has the same start and end times depending on the shift your given so better all round

Shinamae Wed 31-Aug-22 17:01:59

Germanshepherdsmum

I agree, best to move on. You probably have a case against your former employer but going to a tribunal is a stressful business and employers steer clear of hiring someone who has, no matter how justified the reason, taken action against a former employer.

I took my former boss to a tribunal because he would not pay me my redundancy and I won, he didn’t even bother showing up..

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 31-Aug-22 15:33:22

I agree, best to move on. You probably have a case against your former employer but going to a tribunal is a stressful business and employers steer clear of hiring someone who has, no matter how justified the reason, taken action against a former employer.

62Granny Wed 31-Aug-22 15:20:58

Just a little tip, make sure any conditions you have mentioned to the new employer are stated in your contract of employment, otherwise you !at be back were you started. Good luck with you new job you sound like someone who wants to please your employers but just make sure they don't take advantage of you again.

Nanna29 Wed 31-Aug-22 15:10:04

Yes union have said this i just want to move on as I feel as light as a feather now im so relaxed and happy

Glorianny Wed 31-Aug-22 15:00:46

They are probably covering their own backs. You could have accused them of constructive dismissal
uk.indeed.com/hire/c/info/constructive-dismissal-examples?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjbyYBhCdARIsAArC6LLRWA3wGjHYt8mNJUf6oBiQ7HEZmHcrO5h1bwTsDamHVwR4IIVGWYoaAv3IEALw_wcB&hl=en&aceid=&co=GB
Good luck in your new job.

Nanna29 Wed 31-Aug-22 14:52:06

Thank you so much everyone im very excited to start my new job. I will very politely tell them thanks but no thanks