Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Is Volunteering a moral duty to "give something back"?

(104 Posts)
biglouis Thu 29-Sep-22 17:51:47

Interesting thread on mumsnet with an OP suggesting that those of us who retire in good health - particularly younger retirees - have some kind of moral duty to "give something back" to the community.

People volunteer for all kinds of reasons and often for reasons which will also benefit them - company, a new interest, giving structure to their time, etc - as much as to benefit a client or service user group.

I dont volunteer because I run an antiques business. So I am still providing a valuable service whereby old things are recycled and 90% of my stuff goes international. When I look back at the work I did as an employed person, the years of effort to qualify and the high taxes I paid I feel Ive put more than enough into the kitty already.

madeleine45 Mon 03-Oct-22 14:35:19

Our family always volunteered for various things and so I was brought up just seeing it as part of my life rather than an obligation. When I look back there is quite a variety of things, fitted in with different times in my life . Helping run mother and toddler group, brownie guider when living abroad, meals on wheels when my son was at school, singing in many concerts for charity, raising funds for guide dogs, a talking newspaper reader, hospital car driver for about 10 years and volunteer bus driver in the dales. Doing flag days for lifeboats and poppy day, and baking cakes etc for stalls . Ups and downs of course in all things but overall I have enjoyed what I have done and got a lot from doing it, making friends and discovering all sorts of things along the way. Cant think of anything that I wished I had not done. Never had a lot of money, but volunteering allowed me to support things I cared about in other ways. It has always been my choice to respond to some need , but I made the choice and wasnt pushed into any of it.

Prentice Mon 03-Oct-22 14:35:20

RichmondPark1

The concept of 'giving something back' is interesting to me.

It suggests that something is being taken and I'm not sure what that is.

When most people retire they have already spent a lifetime working, volunteering, giving their time to local groups, raising families, paying taxes, sitting on committes, supporting charities etc. What is it that us retired people owe and to whom?

I volunteer so have nothing against volunteering but do question if it's a duty.

This is my view too.

biglouis Tue 18-Oct-22 03:45:01

RichmondPark1

*The concept of 'giving something back' is interesting to me.

It suggests that something is being taken and I'm not sure what that is.

When most people retire they have already spent a lifetime working, volunteering, giving their time to local groups, raising families, paying taxes, sitting on committes, supporting charities etc. What is it that us retired people owe and to whom*

I agree with this. But its a phrase you often hear about when someone who works for or initiates a charity is being interviewed on TV or social media. The implication is that they are putting in something extra to compensate for something they took.

When you've spent your lifetime working/qualifying/raising children/paying taxes than you have already put a great deal into the kitty. You should feel no guilt about being able to sit back and be the recipient for a change.