Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

AIBU to leave this job?

(31 Posts)
OnwardandUpward Mon 31-Oct-22 09:06:44

I took a new role, which involves helping kids with disabilities. When I started I was warned that I could not work unless I had completed all the training, (fine with me!)

I then proceeded to train online-until the company website locked me out! I asked my manager for help and she said it was an IT problem and that I had to wait for the Tech people to help me. Two weeks later and they haven't!!! But, my Manager is trying to get me to accept shifts working with vulnerable kids who I'm not trained to work with.

I have been really stressed out by this and keep saying no. They still have done nothing to sort out the training issue and they have bungled in other areas too so that I have lost trust in the organisation and am feeling like I must resign in order to get on the right track again! I have applied for another job, but am worried what this employer will say about me if I resign and also how it will look that I never actually started working for them even though I accepted the job. By the way, they never gave me a contract to sign, either.

Forsythia Mon 31-Oct-22 09:12:02

Don’t mention this job to your next employer. Just have a small gap and start anew.

OnwardandUpward Mon 31-Oct-22 09:30:45

Unfortunately I already mentioned it on the application form because I didn't know they were going to pressure me to work before I had completed the training sad
Now I will have to explain in some way. It's very awkward.

Lathyrus Mon 31-Oct-22 09:32:37

With no contract and never having actually worked there it wasn’t really a job, so you don’t have to put it in your CV. Like Forsythia says just leave a gap.

If anyone asks about the gap say you did accept a post but they were unable to provide you with the training needed. Make it a positive for next employers, you’re keen to the job well and looking for a company that values their employees.

Luckygirl3 Mon 31-Oct-22 09:38:33

I should simply explain all to the potential new employer. It should be a feather in your cap that you are not prepared to put safeguarding at risk by working without the appropriate training.

Glorianny Mon 31-Oct-22 09:46:54

You need to decide if you really want to continue with this organisation which seems to be chaotic. But before you resign make sure you have notified them of all your problems in writing and discussed them. You might then have a case for constructive dismissal. www.gov.uk/dismissal/unfair-and-constructive-dismissal
Good luck hope you find a solution and a job you enjoy.

Septimia Mon 31-Oct-22 09:54:42

I'd say be honest with the potential new employer. It they then don't offer you the job at least everythign is aboveboard. If you keep it quiet and they find out later it looks much worse and you could then end up losing a job you're happy in.

MissAdventure Mon 31-Oct-22 10:40:22

This should absolutely be a positive point for you, should it arise.
Are you still in your probationary period with your current job?

OnwardandUpward Mon 31-Oct-22 10:48:16

Thankyou all for the advice. I would have a case for Constructive Dismissal IF I had a contract and had actually started work.

I have not even been told there IS a probationary period or signed any contract. Im really shocked at the laxness of this organisation.

I am tempted to hand my notice in before the new job call me for interview, so I can be completely honest about the issues. Do you think this is the best thing or might they think I didn't have staying power to see out the issues?

Smileless2012 Mon 31-Oct-22 10:51:15

Tell them what you've been up against Onward. It says a lot about your integrity and how seriously you take your responsibilities that you're not prepared to undertake any work until you've received all the necessary training.

Good luckflowers.

OnwardandUpward Mon 31-Oct-22 10:53:11

Thankyou Smileless. I feel dreadfull all the same, seeing as the company is supposed to be extremely conscientious and I feel like it might sound like my word against theirs. I worry about being believed as it's honestly so bad.

Yet at the same time I really want to tell the whole truth!

MissAdventure Mon 31-Oct-22 10:56:21

I think in your situation I would hand in my notice, so that you are not drawn into the politics any further.

A clean sweep, as it were.

Are you talking about abusive things, when you mention how bad things are?

OnwardandUpward Mon 31-Oct-22 10:57:26

I know that if I do work for them I will need to whistleblow because it's obvious there is malpractice. I know others who have whistleblown working for this organisation, though I'd hoped that by working for a different department in a different time scale that things would be ok (they're not)

I have had to turn down paid work because of my personal principles and integrity. If they had not told me at first that I must not work without the training then I would have accepted what my manager was saying, but to tell me I cannot and then to expect me to work without it is appalling and makes me want to resign.

MissAdventure Mon 31-Oct-22 11:00:41

A lot of care practice falls short of the standards decreed by law, and quoted during training.

At least if you resign, you can whistle blow from a distance. smile

OnwardandUpward Mon 31-Oct-22 11:03:46

MissAdventure

I think in your situation I would hand in my notice, so that you are not drawn into the politics any further.

A clean sweep, as it were.

Are you talking about abusive things, when you mention how bad things are?

Well, I informed the manager that I could not access the online training and she said that I had to wait for the IT department to get back to me. I waited two weeks and NOTHING. During that time I received seveeral anonymous (to all staff) messages that read as slightly bullying and threatening , sayingthat if you don't do your training you'll lose your job....So I told the manager it's been two weeks and the IT people have not accessed the training yet.

She did not address this and instead asked me to work. Unfortunately due to the way things are now, I have never met the woman and was interviewed online. I feel that if I met her face to face things might be better, but maybe they would be worse.

I suppose if I get called for interview at the new job and they take a dim view of my extremely short employment and non start, then I'll just have to start again. That's the worst that can happen, I suppose.

MissAdventure Mon 31-Oct-22 11:09:21

Well, it's not even really employment if you're unable to safely and legally undertake any duties.
It doesn't sound like a good place to work.

I honestly doubt the new company would give it a second thought, providing you are open and above board (not too open!) about the problems with training etc.

Forsythia Mon 31-Oct-22 11:10:09

If it were me, I’d resign. State in your termination letter the reasons for doing so. Keep a copy. If called for interview at a new job and it comes up you could say there was no contract, training was not provided for you to safely do the job so you resigned. That’s if you have to mention it at all. Otherwise, say nothing. I’d not be whistle blowing. Leave, move on.

OnwardandUpward Mon 31-Oct-22 11:13:33

I could have worked today. But I didn't, because I haven't completed the training that they told me I needed. They haven't helped me. Their website page with the guidance on doesn't even load. My husband has an IT degree and can not get on the site, so it's not even me being thick.

I suppose I do need to be careful what I say to the new employer about the old employer and also the new employer has worked for the old employer in the past and may still have links there. I maybe won't get the job if lies are told- but I'll walk away with my head held high anyway because I have integrity, even though I'll be back to square one in the part time job search.

OnwardandUpward Mon 31-Oct-22 11:15:46

Forsythia

If it were me, I’d resign. State in your termination letter the reasons for doing so. Keep a copy. If called for interview at a new job and it comes up you could say there was no contract, training was not provided for you to safely do the job so you resigned. That’s if you have to mention it at all. Otherwise, say nothing. I’d not be whistle blowing. Leave, move on.

Thanks and I don't want to whistle blow because I saw how it harmed the career of someone who did.

I don't need this job enough to put up with this type of nonsense, but I pity anyone who does. I will put together a letter of resignation, thanks for your advice.

I have never had such short "employment" haha. I hardly know what to write. So ridiculous!

MissAdventure Mon 31-Oct-22 11:30:16

I wouldn't mention the companies shortcomings in your resignation.

Make it generic, vague, polite, and get outta there! smile

OnwardandUpward Mon 31-Oct-22 12:12:08

Yes, thats good advice. Thanks. I have been wondering what to write as I've never been put in such a ridulous position before.

Lathyrus Mon 31-Oct-22 12:15:03

You’re not really resigning because you never started the job. I’m assuming you haven’t signed anything yet, Wording can be important.

Say as the firm has been unable to provide the training needed, with regret, you are withdrawing from the appointment process. Don’t make the sentence about you ie as I was unable to access training.

That’s all you need really. The regret may not be true but they might keep your letter on file.

Smileless2012 Mon 31-Oct-22 12:16:59

Good advice Lathyrus.

OnwardandUpward Mon 31-Oct-22 12:46:11

Thanks so much Lathyrus. This has been really doing my head in. Can't wait to send the resignation and move on!

Lathyrus Mon 31-Oct-22 13:09:19

The withdrawal from the appointment process, you mean😬😬😬😬