Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

AIBU to leave this job?

(32 Posts)
OnwardandUpward Mon 31-Oct-22 09:06:44

I took a new role, which involves helping kids with disabilities. When I started I was warned that I could not work unless I had completed all the training, (fine with me!)

I then proceeded to train online-until the company website locked me out! I asked my manager for help and she said it was an IT problem and that I had to wait for the Tech people to help me. Two weeks later and they haven't!!! But, my Manager is trying to get me to accept shifts working with vulnerable kids who I'm not trained to work with.

I have been really stressed out by this and keep saying no. They still have done nothing to sort out the training issue and they have bungled in other areas too so that I have lost trust in the organisation and am feeling like I must resign in order to get on the right track again! I have applied for another job, but am worried what this employer will say about me if I resign and also how it will look that I never actually started working for them even though I accepted the job. By the way, they never gave me a contract to sign, either.

OnwardandUpward Mon 31-Oct-22 19:20:48

Ah yessssss 😬😬😬😬 I meant that!

I have done it. It's all over. Hooray! What a relief. Thanks for all your input. flowers

Lathyrus Mon 31-Oct-22 19:28:31

Well done👍 Onwards and upwards😁

Forsythia Mon 31-Oct-22 19:38:18

You had lots of good advice. You must feel relief now. A quiet night in with a glass of wine and all will look brighter tomorrow!

OnwardandUpward Thu 03-Nov-22 08:46:31

Thanks Lathyrus and Forsythia! smile Yes it's all over and I'm starting again. What a load of nonsense it was.

I'm just grateful it wasn't my only income and that I'm fortunate enough to just be looking for a little job to top up my existing incomes. I truly feel sorry for anyone who may be forced into doing this job to make ends meet and treated appallingly, without training.

POW1 Thu 23-Feb-23 02:41:18

I’m in a quandary. Started a permanent job 5 months ago, and it hasn’t turned out as I expected. The company seems to be running into financial difficulties and my work has been stalled waiting on decisions by Exec Team. Out of the blue, I had a supervision meeting which didn’t go well. I’m worried that I will get let go at my 6 month end of probation in two weeks time. I’ve started looking for something else, but won’t have found another job in time if I resign at the review meeting. Should I resign or try holding on to hear the outcome of the review in the hope that I can hang on until I land another job first? I’m feeling pretty shell shocked- in all my years at work, I’ve never had a poor performance review, and this one was sprung on me with little notice. My gut tells me that I’m being set up to fail.

LRavenscroft Thu 23-Feb-23 10:06:28

Lathyrus

With no contract and never having actually worked there it wasn’t really a job, so you don’t have to put it in your CV. Like Forsythia says just leave a gap.

If anyone asks about the gap say you did accept a post but they were unable to provide you with the training needed. Make it a positive for next employers, you’re keen to the job well and looking for a company that values their employees.

Very good points in your post Lathyrus. If you were to work with vulnerable children and something go wrong, the situation would be far worse. Sticking to your guns is a sign of strength, not weakness. You are on the right path.