Gransnet forums

Chat

1940's baby menu

(159 Posts)
Seventimesfive Mon 30-Jan-12 14:03:42

In another thread I wrote about writing my life story and as part of the research and preparation for this I have been looking at my old baby book and found the following which shocked and made me laugh at the same time.
When I was 6 months old in 1943 my mother was recommended the following diet for me:
Breakfast - porridge, milk and glucose, steamed fish or fried bread and a little bacon or boiled egg.
Dinner - veal bone soup containing veg, boiled chicken or rabbit or Irish stew, semolina pudding, or rice pudding, or stewed fruit and egg custard.
Tea - bread and butter, rusks soaked in milk, milk to drink and sponge cake.
This is long before the days of little pots of food and I had a vision of me sitting down to a three course meal! Can you imagine anyone recommending this today for a six month old! Anyway, I've survived and am pretty fit for my age!

Oxon70 Sat 11-Feb-12 14:26:10

Oh, I had a Dansette!
I wasn't into the Goons but my ex-H was.

I listened to Radio Luxembourg to the space fiction at 6.45 for 15 mins...even managed to get it at my Gran's. Jet Morgan...'Journey into Space', was it called? and an advert with it for something from Wootton, Woodstock

And earlier, 'Much Binding in the Marsh'?

artygran Sat 11-Feb-12 15:29:15

"Journey into Space - The Red Planet!" I can hear that opening title as if it were yesterday (wish it were!). Talk about cliff hangers!

Annobel Sat 11-Feb-12 16:11:49

My dad rigged up a speaker system on the landing so that we could listen to the Home Service comedy programmes - Arthur Askey, Ted Ray, Jimmy Edwards (Take if From Here with June Whitfield) and, for my fellow Scots, the McFlannels, a sort of soap cum sitcom on Saturday night.

Seventimesfive Sat 11-Feb-12 17:01:06

Me too artygran!

Oxon70 Sat 11-Feb-12 17:02:12

I started by reading Jules Verne all night on a sofa at my gran's, then later graduated to Dan Dare.....

Seventimesfive Sun 12-Feb-12 16:08:28

Annobel if you want to hear Take It From Here again it's on Radio4 Extra with lots of the old programmes.

jeni Sun 12-Feb-12 16:25:25

A lot of the old programmes are available at iTunes. I've got the complete navy larkgrin
Left hand down a bit?

artygran Sun 12-Feb-12 22:33:25

I loved Round the Horne, which I now have on CDs and I dare not play them in the car because they render me helpless with laughter as nothing else can!