Gransnet forums

Chat

Mull

(33 Posts)
Greenfinch Sat 01-Aug-15 10:25:08

We are spending a week on the Isle of Mull at the end of the month hoping to see lots of wildlife . Does anyone have any advice eg will we need insect repellent and how can we constructively amuse the grandchildren (twins aged 8 ) ?

Greenfinch Mon 03-Aug-15 11:21:21

I'm beginning to feel quite itchy already grin. At least we will be prepared for the worst !

newist Mon 03-Aug-15 12:06:59

I am sure you and your family will have a lovely holiday Greenfinch smile

Greenfinch Mon 03-Aug-15 12:19:21

Thanks newist.We know Barra, North Uist and Benbecula and are looking forward to experiencing the Inner Hebrides though the journey will be long as we live in Berkshire. My ancestors came from The Western Isles and lived there until the Clearances and beyond. It is strange that I always feel very much at home in the area.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 03-Aug-15 13:04:05

We holiday in Scotland most years with a (now) 7yo. Our favourite place though do find wellies and cagoules invaluable! Not made it to Mull but have done Skye and Oban and not had too many midges (August) so will keep everything crossed for you.

Rockpooling always a winner. We always take lots of games just in case it is really wet (still go out but good for after you've dried off grin) Favourites include Yahtzee (we just take the pad and the dice so v portable), Uno, pick up sticks, mini Mastermind (which is about 30 years old but assume they still make!) and a mini version of shut the box. Oh and a pack of cards. And LOTS of books. All holidays require lots of books.

annodomini Mon 03-Aug-15 13:10:44

Many pubs and hotels in the Highlands and islands now have 'midge-eating' traps. They exude some kind of hormone which attracts the insects and they are caught in a bag. I've seen the results (in Mull) which were remarkable. It's surprising how much a bag of midges weighs! You might be lucky, Greenfinch and find a pub with one of these gadgets.

Greenfinch Mon 03-Aug-15 13:29:10

Thanks for the suggestions Cari which I will take on board (literally !)
I have never heard of shut the box.

"bag of midges"*anno*. The mind boggles ! shock

rosesarered Mon 03-Aug-15 14:03:14

grin Yikes!All those midges, do hope you don't come across them Greenfinch.I was basing the August thing on past experiences, but they don't always obey the calendar so may be early or late depending on weather conditions.