Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas !

(62 Posts)
Glamdram Mon 29-Aug-16 21:34:01

Hello
I'm new to all of this ...so here goes.

This year my OH and I are going away for chrstmas for few days...only a bit of a drive away,but to our favourite hotel that we both love.
We v never been away for Christmas ..in fact we v never been invited anywhere for chrstmas...I always seem to be doing Christmas here...but this year we are off.

Anyway daughter ,who lives in London has now asked if her and her boyfriend can come and stay in the house while we are away...she always comes home for Christmas and I had said that she could bring boyfriend here while we are away
Now she would like two other people to stay too ....I have refused as I'm thinking that I will have to set up beds...bedding etc and will have all the washing when I get back from our few days away.
I could tell she was bit miffed

Any thoughts out there ?

Christinefrance Thu 01-Sep-16 08:41:35

Your daughter is 24 for goodness sake, would appear you have reasons not to have trust in her. Don't give up your Christmas break just relax and enjoy it. You have clearly made up your mind what to do so stick with it.

belladonna Thu 01-Sep-16 09:31:56

My partner's boys ...in their twenties....stayed at the house last Christmas while we were away....never again...the house stank....they don't wash...kitchen a tip....bathroom clean ..as never used !!! They can stay at their grandparents this year !!!!

harrigran Thu 01-Sep-16 10:09:22

Gross, I would have to have the house deep cleaned after that.

NotTooOld Thu 01-Sep-16 12:07:14

I wouldn't like strangers in my house whilst I was away. I might let the DD plus partner stay (without laundry stipulations!) but I know my DH wouldn't be happy with even that as he has strict security procedures which he wouldn't trust anyone else to follow (even me!).

Glamdram Sat 03-Sep-16 06:32:46

Daughter lives in a nice Victorian house in London that she rents with two other people .
Will suggest that whilst her boyfriend comes to stay there ..that she may like the other two to stay and have chrstmas there .

Would be far easier .

And like some if you have mentioned ..I will not worry about the house while I'm away ..or come back to bedding etc to wash !

This is my first relaxing chrtmas away with husband ....Iv had first late husbands mum to me every chrstmas for 30 years ...and in the last 5 have been her carer..as she has dementia ..she has now gone into a care home and I now have the freedom to do what I want .
And this chrstmas it's about me .....not doing chrstmas for others

millymouge Sat 03-Sep-16 06:57:27

Hear , hear Glamdram I think that is an excellent idea. After all you have done it's time to think of yourself. I hope you and your OH have a really Happy Christmas with nothing to worry about.

grannypiper Sat 03-Sep-16 09:10:54

I think DD has a cheek to even ask,why should you festive holiday be ruined by a grown woman who should know better than to ask if she can bring strangers in to your home. Tell her its not a youth hostel.I hope you enjoy your break.

Gagagran Sat 03-Sep-16 09:43:09

Do what's right for you Glamdram and do not feel any guilt. I would tell DD quickly though that as your home is a Christmas-free zone this year it would be best if she and her friends made their own Christmas at theirs. It's about time she started doing that anyway at 24! (I'd already been doing it for 3 years by then). You have earned a rest from it all.Hope you have a lovely time.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Sep-16 09:48:02

I think the OP is the only one to decide, tbh. We don't know how responsible her daughter is, or how friends of hers are likely to behave. It could be another perfectly well behaved young couple, invited to simply make their Christmas cheerier. But if the laundry and the house cleaning bothers her, then the obvious thing is to say no.

Not sure why I am posting this. OP probably long gone anyway.

trisher Sat 03-Sep-16 10:40:53

Glamdram one word about your daughter she has at least asked she could just have brought them with her. This isn't meant to make you change your mind or not enjoy your well-earned Christmas just a point that your DD is obviously thoughtful and respects your home. If you tell her your concerns she may well think of an alternative herself.

Legs55 Sat 10-Sep-16 19:02:19

I would be inclined to say no, soon after I met my late DH we went away with my DD (aged 9) & left my step-daughter (20) & step-son (17) at home. We came back to find our bed had been slept in and an ornament my DD had bought for my Birthday had "disappeared also some gold jewellery of my DH's missing, his DS had had friends over whilst his DD was away overnight.

Never happened again we had a lock put on our bedroom door!!!

I know Glamdram's DD is 24 but if she doesn't know friends or boyfriend well I would say no hmm