Gransnet forums

Chat

Lack of sleep

(108 Posts)
Shanma Sat 22-Oct-16 00:14:46

I would say that four nights out of seven these days I just cannot sleep. I lie there usually until 4 ish. I do get up and make a warm drink, or sit and read for 15 min or so to try to relax, but no use.

Last night was one of the worst. I think it was about 6.30 am, when i finally dropped off, then of course I am late getting up. I work too, although it is from home, but this means that everything is behind. I can't stand much more of this to be honest.Does anyone else have similar problems? if so did you find a solution?

Louizalass Mon 24-Oct-16 22:08:30

Poor you, having little sleep is so debilitating. I can only add what others have suggested. I have been a poor sleeper in the past, often taking 2 hours or more to drop off even though I'm very tired. I still work full-time at 66 so I know that once 2am hits and I haven't dropped off, I then start panicking I won't get to sleep (so of course, I don't) and can see 5.30 on the clock before I drop off prior to the alarm at 7.

However, this hasn't happened for ages. Husband also suffers from poor sleep because although he can drop off, he has to keep getting up for a pee and sometimes just can't get off again. Dr prescribed him sleeping tablets which worked a treat but eventually Dr wouldn't prescribe any more because, of course, they eventually stop working.

We've hit on just the thing - a cup of hot chocolate at bed time and for me, I plug myself into my Kindle to listen to a story (current favourite is anything read by Emma Gregory who is a wonderful narrator) and I am usually asleep within 10 minutes! Can't believe it! The hot chocolate coupled with the audio story - which obviously helps to keep the mind going over stuff which can't be sorted until the next day anyway - has been a life saver!

Good luck - I hope you find something to help.

rubylady Fri 28-Oct-16 05:52:31

Yet another disturbed night. I went to bed earlier but then woke after an hour with twitching and shaking of my limbs, especially across my shoulders and my feet. I also feel like something is crawling under my skin, it is awful and lasts a while until it goes away again so I have come downstairs and come on here to take my mind off it. I am shattered but I can't even lie and close my eyes without wanting to scream.

I wish the Government could see people like me at times like this, when they insult people saying they are claiming and nothing is wrong. There are actually genuinely poorly people out there. And sat right here.

Anyway, enough self pity. I'll make a brew and with having you lovely bunch of wonderful people to chat to at this ungodly hour, it really does help. I might even have a frozen chocolate eclair. cupcake

lucky77 Sat 29-Oct-16 21:15:59

Take one 5-HTP tablet half an hour before bed. 5-HTP is a naturally occurring amino acid and chemical precursor as well as a metabolic intermediate in the biosynthesis of the neurotransmitters serotonin and melatonin from tryptophan. 5-HTP, short for 5-hydroxytryptophan, is a derivative of tryptophan, an amino acid that is present in high protein foods such as dairy products and meat. Whilst the body makes its own 5-HTP from tryptophan it is also able to use the 5-HTP provided by supplements. I recommend the Lamberts brand.

Also in the morning take a Lamberts Theanine & Lemon Balm tablet, L-Theanine is a fascinating amino acid that is present in normal tea and is believed to be responsible for that unique ‘nice cup of tea’ feeling. It has been shown to raise levels of GABA and alpha waves in the brain and this can result in a calming effect without drowsiness. As a result, L-Theanine is widely recommended by practitioners for those during times of stress and anxiety.

Lemon balm has a long history of use in traditional herbal medicine, primarily as a sedative and relaxant, with recent studies also showing it to be useful for improving attention and memory.

These products work,and are natural. Worth a try.

Bellanonna Sat 29-Oct-16 22:14:47

Ruby, you must get fed up to the back teeth at times like that. Not so much the being awake itself but the pain and discomfort you describe. Maybe the remedy suggested above would help but perhaps you could discuss first with your GP. I do hope you're asleep now after such a long day.

susieq36197 Sun 30-Oct-16 14:32:09

Hi Shanna.
Lavender oil just inside each nostril! Have used it for years and it works every time.Not a particularly nice smell but worth it for a good nights sleep.

jordana Mon 31-Oct-16 17:55:58

I have recently joined and posted on chat forum ,is it the bed,. I can sympathise with everyone on this topic as I too suffer from insomnia and have tried nearly everything. I do take sleeping tablets and have done for a few years. I try to limit them to one tab several times a week but really, at some times it, s every night! Prisoners of war were deprived of sleep as a punishment! Tomorrow I will buy lemon balm as at the moment I have lavender in the bedroom and taking camomile tea throughout the day. Not working though, however to realise I am not alone in the wee small hours helps

travelsafar Tue 28-Feb-17 08:17:38

Since summer last year i have been suffering with poor sleep and it is starting to spoil my life now. I always feel tired and need to have a rest in the afternoon, sometimes i might nod off for 15mins or so but not normally. I go to bed at the same time and am lucky if i get 5 hours, usually i wake at least 2 times within that 5 hours. I am just so fed up of it. Not keen on taking medication so havent been to GP but if it goes on much longer i think i will have to. I thought when i retired i would be lying in my bed until at least 8am but no, every moring i am up at the crack of dawn and you cant do anything for fear of waking the other half!!!!