Gransnet forums

Chat

Lack of sleep

(107 Posts)
Shanma Sat 22-Oct-16 00:14:46

I would say that four nights out of seven these days I just cannot sleep. I lie there usually until 4 ish. I do get up and make a warm drink, or sit and read for 15 min or so to try to relax, but no use.

Last night was one of the worst. I think it was about 6.30 am, when i finally dropped off, then of course I am late getting up. I work too, although it is from home, but this means that everything is behind. I can't stand much more of this to be honest.Does anyone else have similar problems? if so did you find a solution?

Coolgran65 Sat 22-Oct-16 01:00:13

Yes, indeed. I sleep for about 4 hours on a good night, and this is fractured. The longest sleep at any stretch is 2 hours and this has been for about 25 years. Often I don't sleep at all.
Many days I'd have gone to my work as a legal Secretary without having slept in 36 or more hours.

My doctor minimized this until I took with me a sleep diary. Seeing it like that she took notice. I've tried all sorts of sleeping medications from melatonin through to the stronger types. Nothing seems any better than the other. Life is now easier because I'm retired but often fatigue is a problem.

However I have several medical conditions and insomnia can often be a related symptom of a medical condition.....an alertness.

Also, certain medications can cause alertness/insomnia. In particular, pain relief, which in some folks can also cause sleepiness.

phoenix Sat 22-Oct-16 01:01:50

Try a bath about an hour before bed, some sort of milky drink while you sit in your robe getting dry, then into bed with the radio on very quietly on a non music station, I.e. Radio 4, lie flat on your back and imagine waves of relaxation coming up from your feet. I find it helps to think of the way real waves behave as the tide comes in, so the first wave just reaches your ankles, then recedes, the next one reaches half up your shins, then recedes, the next comes to your knees etc.

Coolgran65 Sat 22-Oct-16 01:09:28

Sometime I'd find it helpful to listen to an audio book, sound quite low. A short story type that is easy listening. The Patricia Rutledge type monologues were good.

Shanma Sun 23-Oct-16 00:08:55

Thanks for your comments. I have tried the radio thing. I only ever listen to radio 4 in any case. Thing is I get too much into what is being said so don't fall asleep that way. I will try the waves of relaxation thing though and see how that goes. I just need to stop worrying about things . I tell myself all the logical things like it isn't going to make a jots worth of difference if you worry, in fact it will only make me more tired and less able to cope.

Anyway I apprecaite the replies, thanks

NannyMo76 Sun 23-Oct-16 09:05:17

I am convinced a lot of this can be helped by diet and eating pattern.......eat early around 5-6 pm and then something like a few almonds and milk before bed. Sugar definitely affects my sleep pattern, Alcohol also isn't good ...a glass of wine with evening meal but no more.....

Seb2015 Sun 23-Oct-16 09:05:57

I find the sound of rain on a tent sends me off so if I can't sleep I find it on YouTube on my phone and that's that. Hope you get some sleep soon x

Elenkalubleton Sun 23-Oct-16 09:09:45

I don't know how old you are? But could it be menopausal,I take a very low dose of hrt but it seems to help.

BlueBelle Sun 23-Oct-16 09:13:03

I ve often wished we had a brain switch I don't suffer from insomnia but I do spend time worrying especially at night and I m always always the baddy the one to blame it's always beat up time at night ..... I do have a radio on and used to listen to world radio or radio 4 but that would get me all worked up and I d lie answering them or arguing with them so now I have 'magic' station on which is 60 or 70 s music but I think there are stations for all tastes of music and have it as low background music seems to work for me
I think the very best thing you can do is not worry just it, accept it and it may go away the worrying and expectation of not sleeping is what is stopping you
I find one trick I have for sleepless nights is finding as many names as I can starting with A then B etc I ve never got past B I suppose that's a different take on counting sheep but works for me

Good luck x

Disgruntled Sun 23-Oct-16 09:16:07

You could try White Chestnut, one of the Bach flower remedies: it's for unwanted thoughts that go round and round. Meditation would help, if you could try sitting quietly, slowing down your breathing, relaxing the muscles in your face, neck, shoulders etc. Good luck.

SunnySusie Sun 23-Oct-16 09:17:00

I do sympathise, I too suffer from sleep issues. I agree with NannyMo about eating patterns. I find the best is to have a calcium rich meal around 6pm - grilled salmon, kale and a reasonably large amount of easily digested carbs and absolutely nothing else except a drink of water or milk. I find meat dreadful, it seems to keep me awake. Going to bed slightly dehydrated to avoid getting up and going to the loo also seems to be a no no. Temperature is another thing to watch out for - not too hot works for me - lightweight nightie and quilt, window open. Finally my saviour has been a white noise machine, after a week of training myself, I now find the noise goes on and almost immediately I feel sleepy, then I am off.

clough1945 Sun 23-Oct-16 09:19:35

I down loaded an App by Glenn Harrold ,relax and sleep well. Now this works well but sometimes I don't sleep long and have to play again. A friend says looking into the dark works well and she gets 7 to 8 hours. You have to close your eyes and only see black.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 23-Oct-16 09:20:29

Try alternative medicine.Not herbal but mineral salts.
I bought a book on this kind of treatment and as a sufferer of arthritis I can honestly say my doctors prescription for traditional medicine is unopened,as I went out and bought what the book recommended .They are not harmful or addictive.You can but try them.Nothing ventured then nothing gained.

lionpops Sun 23-Oct-16 09:22:26

This is a National issue. I have just come off a cruise with two retired members of my family. They constantly complained about waking and not being able to get back, making cups of tea at 4am. No surprise to me as they were having fully caffeinated coffee at 8 pm in the evening never mind the alcohol. Before you see your Doctor for help there are things you can try. When I went through the menopause in the last century! I was able to rid myself of all symptoms except the flushes. I turned to a book by Maryon Stewart(all available on Abe books uk very cheaply) she looks at diet and following her advice I was able to minimise symptoms. I cut out all caffeine and switched to drinking redbush tea with milk, I still drink nothing else in the day but do have a full bodied coffee first thing.If I drink wine in the evening it has the same effect, no sleep.You say you are working from home, do you get out for a good long walk first thing? You need to overhaul your day. Exercise/ healthy eating and drinking .
Do you make time to see friends, do you live on your own, all these things have an effect on our mental health. Are you anxious or worried about anything?.Have you children you are worried about as all this will affect your sleep.
What state is your bedroom in, remove TV/ all electrical devices including Kindles/iPods/iPads/laptops etc. Give the room a fresh new look, a fresh start for you.
Baby steps, do one thing again time and start with diet and exercise( no carbonated drinks as they are loaded with caffeine!).
I have tried with my SIL to help her with books etc and she has not bothered, her health is deteriorating as lack of sleep increases the chance of overeating in the day due to hormonal changes.As a result she has put on a lot of weight that has impacted her mobility. Only you can help yourself. Start today, take time out and pop your wellies on and go for a good walk. Your health matters and so do you.

Lindajane Sun 23-Oct-16 09:26:56

I've had a similar sleeping pattern Shanma for a number of years. Now I never get up or look at the clock. I do listen to audiobooks but ones I have heard before, I put them on 30 minute sleep mode. I sometimes read but again books I have read before. I've found that using these tactics I still wake but I think I get more sleep over all and don't get as anxious as I don't know how much sleep I've missed!

Gagagran Sun 23-Oct-16 09:27:39

I have broken nights always. Drop off no problem then awake after about 4 hours - often needing the loo. I do a sort of self hypnosis then to get back to sleep.

Get in a comfortable, relaxed position then slow your breathing down and keep breathing in to the slow count of four and out similarly. This works for me and I can usually drift off to sleep again. I do surface again maybe twice more and am always awake and usually up by 6am no matter how late I have gone to bed.

gillybob Sun 23-Oct-16 09:29:22

I completely sympathise with you Shanma as I know exactly what you are going through. I am very bad sleeper too. I have no problem getting to sleep and drop off after reading a little. My problem is waking up at maybe1,2 or 3 am and not being able to get back to sleep. The thoughts and worries all start whirring through my mind and no matter what I do I can't relax and get back to sleep. I get up, make a drink and wander around the house. I try to make myself cold so that the thought of a nice warm bed is a good one but as soon as I am back in it the thoughts start again. I know my sleeplessness revolves around stress from work and family pressures because these things are always in my mind when I wake. I have to get up for work at around 6.30 and usually feel like I could just go to sleep then and feel wretched all day. It's easy to say stope worrying, realm etc. but it's impossible to switch your brain off.

Sheilasue Sun 23-Oct-16 09:30:54

I read and I end up dropping off. My h has an iPod which helps him to relax and go to sleep. If you work from home can you get out and go for a walk in the day. My d works from home sometimes and she always goes to her gym for an early morning session not that you would probably want to do that. A bit of exercise does help.

LillyBee Sun 23-Oct-16 09:32:28

Try soaking in an epsomsalt bath.

westieyaya Sun 23-Oct-16 09:32:58

It's now 0924, and last night I too only slept for about 2 hours. I find the only remedy is to wrap myself up in a think dressing gown and get back into bed, too hot but I sleep. Two or three nights a week are like this, the rest I sleep really well, up to 8 hours. I'll carry on reading this thread for ideas.

alternativeageing Sun 23-Oct-16 09:42:12

You have my total sympathy. Have you tried Melatonin? I have used it for years and it works. The research is all there, despite it not being on sale in the UK, I have recommended it to many patients in the past (I am a nutritionist). You can get it on-line. Also, and even more natural, An Epsom Salts Bath is just amazing. Try 3 nights running, a whole cup of it under a running tap. I have more on my blog on these wonderful baths. And I also listen to the radio or a podcast. Oh, and meditation as well as exercise during the day would really help you! Sorry to throw so much at you but there's nothing worse than insomnia so I hope one or all of these suggestions helps. Suzi x

Pammie47 Sun 23-Oct-16 09:43:57

I've had the same problem over the last few years too. I'm beginning to wonder if it's linked to days when I've been rushing around and up to my eyes in it, my mind is often in overdrive then. Those are the days when I'm particularly tired after a full-on day then 'bang', a sleepless night. I'm wondering if a five minute power nap I've had (accidentally) in the evening has actually helped! I'm going to start keeping records of the type of day and how I sleep following that.

Sheilasue Sun 23-Oct-16 09:46:59

Just read a saga note on line about insomnia they say try not to struggle with it but just relax, Don't know if it will work though

Pammie47 Sun 23-Oct-16 09:48:50

Adding to that, I read (it always makes me sleepy) and always go off very quickly, but then after a while I'm awake and buzzing....I never used to have this problem. Age related, I suspect! ?

jacqknife Sun 23-Oct-16 09:54:49

Bach Rescue Remedy spray - 3 for 2 in Tesco and Boots - I swear by it. Oh, and a book too - until the words go blurry ... good luck!