Gransnet forums

Food

Mushrooms on toast, anyone?

(63 Posts)
NotTooOld Fri 02-Oct-15 22:02:53

I happened to mention yesterday that DH and I had made fried mushrooms on toast for our lunch. This is a normal dish for us, one both our mothers produced occasionally, but the friends we were speaking to expressed amazement as they'd never heard of such a thing. Do other GN-ers eat mushrooms on toast?

granjura Sat 03-Oct-15 16:58:35

in which case, you were right maggie ;) but why on earth does he go picking mushrooms if he hasn't got a clue ????? Yiiiikes.

Next time, send me some pictures ;)- actually some of the most colourful mushrooms are very safe- and vice versa!

granjura Sat 03-Oct-15 16:59:29

btw jingl- mushrooms do contain protein (not as much as meat, granted) and lots of other goodies.

loopylou Sat 03-Oct-15 17:13:30

I nearly killed the pair of us 25 years ago, eating foraged mushrooms. We had an enormous number of them growing in one of our fields so I filled a washing basket and spent a day making mushroom soup and quiches galore, one of which we had for supper.
Within 5 or 6 hours we were both violently ill.
Goodness knows what I'd done, they were definitely field mushrooms (identified by village foraging expert, a chap who ran foraging courses and who came and picked loads too).

Needless to say everything went in the bin.

I've never picked them since.

rosequartz Sat 03-Oct-15 17:17:44

DH picked mushrooms when we were on holiday in Cornwall years ago, went with a friend.
Friend's wife and I were very dubious about cooking and eating them, but we were OK (luckily!).

granjura Sat 03-Oct-15 17:20:08

Ouch- they were probably 'yellow stainer' - they do look very much like field mushrooms, but the smell is bitter and the flesh stains bright yellow. Good news is- they won't kill you- but make you violently sick for a couple of days. NOT nice!

And yes, you do need to know what you are doing. The guy you checked with obviously didn't!

annodomini Sat 03-Oct-15 18:04:01

We used to have two slim volumes about fungi identification but ex got custody of them and I have never been able to find them again. Once, in Yorkshire when we were staying with my parents for a few nights, my DSs came in from the field with two wonderful giant puffballs in excellent condition. We took them with us in the caravan. They were delicious thickly sliced and fried like a steak, or made into soup.

granjura Sat 03-Oct-15 20:25:26

I have about 12 books in both languages on mushrooms Anno- last one bought is Carluccios. I like to cross reference from several sources if I am not 100% sure, and all my neighbours are experts so I am safe. Remember the 'Food for Free book' - still got my copy. Also got some of my dad's and grandad's old books (in French)- with drawings instead of photos.

I used to find those large puffballs in Leicestershire a lot- reminded me of the Tintin book- but never ever managed to make any of them taste good- tried, butter, garlic, parsley, curry even! Always ended up in the bin, I have to say.

TriciaF Sat 03-Oct-15 20:29:28

Mushrooms make a tasty filling for pancakes too. I used to make wholemeal pancakes with creamed mushroom filling - a quick supper that the children loved.

durhamjen Sat 03-Oct-15 20:32:46

I've still got my copy of Food for Free as well, Granjura, but I've only ever eaten puffballs that I've picked myself. Anything else, I've gone with an expert.

annodomini Sat 03-Oct-15 20:44:09

Many years ago, camping in Perthshire, we met a Polish couple who had a lovely collection of chanterelles, strung up to dry in their tent. The day they left, they took us to the larch wood where they were growing in abundance. We didn't tell anyone else!

granjura Sat 03-Oct-15 21:05:11

When we lived next to Richmond Park, in 1971 and 72 and were very broke- we lived off the mushrooms, chestnuts and blackberries the whole autumn. I used to cycle round and stop on and off and pick. I made friends with some of the old soldiers who lived in the huge Star and Garter hostal by one of the gates- and later visit them there, and also the horse mounted guards- who used to chat and ask to see my daily catch. Happy days (we lived at Queen Mary's Hospital).

One of my mum's favourite recipe was 'croustade aux champignons'- a large rectangle of puff pastry, with ham covered with creamy wild mushrooms then closed as a pie and egg washed, decorated with pastry mushrooms. OH just loves that too.

Maggiemaybe Sun 04-Oct-15 01:37:09

Why on earth does he go picking mushrooms if he hasn't got a clue ?????

Granjura, because he's a man. grin

Elrel Sun 04-Oct-15 01:48:46

Mushrooms on Toast?! My favourite tea as a child. Oddly my mother always threw away the stems. Completely agree about mushroom soup, quick, easy and delicious, I use the SW recipe and, for preference, porcini stock cubes which can be hard to find.

thatbags Sun 04-Oct-15 07:01:03

I don't think I like mushrooms on their own or only with toast. I love them mixed in with other foods. Chanterelles on toast with toasted cheese on top I could do or field mushrooms on top of a toasted chop or burger.

Mamie Sun 04-Oct-15 07:18:04

When we first started picking mushrooms we joined a local fungus foray group and did a few seasons with them. We also used to look at different books (Roger Phillips the favourite) to cross-check the identification. OH is very keen and used to pick masses (within the required limits) in the depths of the New Forest; we always had a big store in the freezer and huge jars of dried ceps.
Here in France we find it more difficult because so many people do it. OH went out at first light the other morning and bumped into loads of other people.
We mostly pick ceps, hedgehogs and summer and winter chanterelles.

Marelli Sun 04-Oct-15 07:23:10

Elrel, could you post the recipe for mushroom soup, please? I've been given a really large amount of mushrooms (factory-picked), which I've frozen. The recipe I use at the moment isn't all that good.

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Sun 04-Oct-15 08:33:11

Mushrooms on 'eggy bread' Mmmm.

Leah50 Sun 04-Oct-15 08:53:27

We love mushrooms and eat them everyday, I worked as a picker on a big commercial farm and never tired of them...the fungus of the Gods.

granjura Sun 04-Oct-15 09:20:23

ah Mamie, yes the competition is fierce here! And people very secretive and protective about their best 'coins' (spots)- I go to all my dad's old favourites and am incensed if I see another car parked thers- how dare they, lol (or mdr as we say in French).

Met a really nice British guy yesterday who lives in around neck of the woods, over here for a big 'absinthe' fest- very nice, and thought about you.

I collect about 30 different types of mushrooms- morels in early Spring, St Georges mousserons (which gave the English word 'mushrrom) in May (we are lucky to have a massive ring of them in our field- so not far to go- picked and straight in the pan) and the others about now. I have the Phillips book in both French (bought it for dad's bd many many moons ago) and in English.

granjura Sun 04-Oct-15 09:22:11

ahahahah Maggie- my man is a bit different and wouldn't dream of doing so - I am definitely the mushroom expert in our house (and for miles around)... perhaps his professional experience kicks in here.

M0nica Sun 04-Oct-15 18:45:28

We used to have them on toast as a special treat some Sundays when I was a child in the 1950s. Mushrooms were relatively expensive then but we lived near a mushroom farm and my father used to visit the farm and buy a big bag of mushroom stalks because, not only were they more tasty, but he got more for his money as they were cheaper than whole mushrooms.

shysal Sun 04-Oct-15 19:10:41

Does anyone peel mushrooms? My parents' generation always used to, and wouldn't be told that it was unnecessary. I still know a few older people who insist on it. Same applies to new potatoes!

Elegran Sun 04-Oct-15 19:47:03

Not small ones with thin peel that curls in tight to the stem, but I peel the large flat ones with thick easy-peel skin (and more taste - if I am eating mushrooms I like to know that they are mushrooms, not just blobs)

Elegran Sun 04-Oct-15 19:48:23

I improved my mushroom soup no end with 2 tablespoons of brandy.

rosequartz Sun 04-Oct-15 19:54:25

That sounds good Elegran
I make mushroom soup sometimes, I'll try that!

I can remember DF coming home on Saturday lunch-times (he worked on Saturday mornings and went in for half a pint on the way home - his weekly treat) and then he went to the market to buy what veg he didn't grow; he would show me the mushrooms he had bought - they were a special treat in those days.
Now I just pick them up as routine every week in the supermarket.