Gransnet forums

Food

Mushrooms on toast, anyone?

(63 Posts)
NotTooOld Fri 02-Oct-15 22:02:53

I happened to mention yesterday that DH and I had made fried mushrooms on toast for our lunch. This is a normal dish for us, one both our mothers produced occasionally, but the friends we were speaking to expressed amazement as they'd never heard of such a thing. Do other GN-ers eat mushrooms on toast?

loopylou Sun 04-Oct-15 20:12:57

I never peel mushrooms Shysal, quick wipe over if necessary, that's all. My mum used to throw away the stems, but then I think she peels any veg that she gets hold of, including broccoli stalks.

Galen Sun 04-Oct-15 20:13:18

Condensed cream of mushroom soup with a tin of salmon and quartered tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste.
Microwave and seve with lemon wedges, rice, pasta, or bread and butter!
Yummy
Quick
Healthy
Delicious!

My comfort recipe

Elizabeth1 Mon 05-Oct-15 02:35:56

I just love mushrooms on toast, mushroom soup, mushrooms in all sorts of food. smile

thatbags Mon 05-Oct-15 06:39:50

My sister-in-law said she didn't feel empty nest syndrome because the kids gone meant she and my brother could eat mushrooms with everything.

shysal Mon 05-Oct-15 09:10:10

I sometimes use a can of condensed mushroom soup as a cook-in sauce for a couple of chicken thighs. I add extra sliced mushrooms and bake in the oven.

Riverwalk Mon 05-Oct-15 16:38:10

Lunch today - devilled mushrooms.

loopylou Mon 05-Oct-15 16:42:06

That does looks delish Riverwalk, how do you make it?

granjura Mon 05-Oct-15 16:45:22

So funny how things change with the times. When I was a kid, having shop bought 'Paris' mushrooms was seen as really posh and sophisticated- and those eating wild foraged mushrooms 'poor' - and now it is totally t'other way round. You say you like wild self picked mushrooms and people thing 'oooo how fancy' - hilarious.

Riverwalk Mon 05-Oct-15 17:02:09

Loopy very easy, nothing fancy!

Chestnut mushrooms, quartered
Red onion, finely sliced
Clove garlic
Tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp paprika
Couple of tbs cream or yoghurt
Dash of Lea & Perrins
Salt & pepper

Saute the onion and garlic for at least 10 minutes in olive oil and butter, add mushrooms, Lea & Perrins and paprika, when it looks cooked, about 5 minutes, add mustard and yoghurt/cream, season.

loopylou Mon 05-Oct-15 17:05:39

Thank you! DD will love it too (she's vegetarian). It would be good in jacket potatoes too.

Riverwalk Mon 05-Oct-15 17:14:16

As she's vegetarian you daughter can replace the Lea & Perrins with a bit more Dijon or paprika to add to the piquancy.

It's also a great omelette filling.

loopylou Mon 05-Oct-15 18:19:16

Yum, yum!