Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

To ban the mean MIL to see my children?

(80 Posts)
xiaoaiwei Sun 24-Jul-16 00:10:58

My MIL and I had good relationship in the beginning , I thought I was lucky. But after some incidents she has showed her true colour, her own husband , my FIL has said she is a very unforgiving person and always very critical.
But I still try to put everything behind and want her have a relationship with my children.
But a few days ago, we were celebrating my son's 10th birthday at their summer house, out of blue, she opened confrontation against me, accusing me sth I had no idea , she was very aggressive and angry and raised her voice, I didn't want to ruin my son's party and apologised in tears anyway, but was feeling panic so had to take diazepam to calm down. Thankfully I was able to get back to the party and my son didn't notice anything wrong.
But after I had some time to reflect, I realised how awful this thing was. She planned to ambush me right in middle of my son's party, never mind she claimed so many times she lovers my children, and a lot things she said was her exaggeration and wrong interpretation . My FIL and sister-in -law were both kindly conforming me and told her what she did is wrong. Except my husband , I was very disappointed and hurt he didn't stand up for me.
So apparently she really didn't like me and despite everything I did, she only wants to be critical to me, and worst is she chose to attack me during my son's party as she knew this would hurt me most. What an awful thing to do!
I am now in pain and have never felt so hurtful, after all I thought she was family. No need to say the relationship with husband is terrible now.
I would like to ban her from seeing my children again, as she just approved how terrible person she was.
Am I right to do so? Just want to hear from the grandparents , as all my friends were agreeing with me and said they would have left with children there and then and never spoke to her again.

Granmary18 Thu 28-Jul-16 21:15:11

These children are not just yours, they are your husband's too! This is not just your decision..... and the issue is between you and your MIL and your husband .....you have to address that, not use the children. They are irrelevant in the issue!

DaphneBroon Thu 28-Jul-16 22:48:20

But they are clearly regarded as a powerful weapon or "bargaining tool" in what looks more and more like a female power struggle.
Maybe it is cultural, maybe there are other issues, but I come back to my original point near the beginning of the thread that 1) we are hearing too much of this type of threat, 2) we know from the personal experience of other GN members the heartbreak it generates and 3) I could not imagine our own mothers and grandmothers playing along with holding GPs to ransom.
But as a flight is involved in visiting the GPs and OP has to rely on her Diazepam to actually contemplate flying, presumably it is unlikely to be a major problem in the immediate future.

Djson Mon 01-Aug-16 23:51:35

It would not be fair to the kids. My daughter is mad at me and wouldn't let me or my other daughter see my granddaughter for several months. She now let's us see her but got mad because she told us she missed us. So sad for the kids.

AmMaz Sun 07-Aug-16 20:10:42

xiaoaiwei, after what you said in your post on 26 July, I can assure you that you have a diazepam problem. Find a healthier way to call down.