Gransnet forums

House and home

Do you iron your sheets?

(158 Posts)
BabsAnn Sat 28-Nov-15 20:34:31

I am sitting here with a pile of ironing - yes, that would be on a Saturday night - and wondering why I am ironing the bedsheets. Am feeling rebellious (this is what two glasses of red wine does to one). Does it really matter? Does anyone else bother ironing duvet covers and sheets or do you just put them on all wrinkly?

Jomarie Sat 28-Nov-15 22:33:57

Yes - I still iron sheets etc. (not towels or knickers/socks). As there are only two of us now at home it seems an easy (and enjoyable) chore compared to when I had all those shirts to iron for 3 school children and shirts for husband as well as blouses for myself! I quite enjoy the warmth and there is, for me, a certain satisfaction in making things neat and tidy. My daughter irons NOTHING ! In fact I often itch to iron GS's cute T-shirts - they would look so much better in the drawer........

I have managed to resist so far as it would cause major eruptions from DD. Obviously I have too much time of my hands, although, to be fair, ironing is something I have always done since about 13/14 as my mother hated doing it and was happy to give me pocket money for doing it (which I spent on cigarettes) blush

feetlebaum Sat 28-Nov-15 22:46:15

I must say I feel better having read some of these messages - I used to iron sheets, shirts and the like, but cheerfully gave it up a few years ago when a frozen shoulder made it physically impossible. Knowing that so many of you ladies do likewise is a real boost!

In retirement I wear good quality teeshirts* all the time, and they are perfectly wearable straight from the dryer. As for bed-linen - when the light's out you can't see the creases, and you certainly can't feel them ...

*From Lands' End - quick commercial there ...

Anya Sat 28-Nov-15 22:50:34

I iron nothing.

jogginggirl Sat 28-Nov-15 22:50:47

Yes, like Jomarie - I've been ironing since I was about 13! I don't mind ironing - in fact I quite enjoy it... I am happy to do ironing for DD and DGD and DS and DGD as well. I do love a nice pile of freshly ironed clothes shock
However, I don't iron socks, tea towels, towels etc and rarely iron bedclothes - though this is only because I send them to the local laundry lady - she does a fab job, much better than I could do shockblush

Joelsnan Sat 28-Nov-15 22:52:06

I do. Sheets, duvet covers, tea towels, face cloths, nickers...the lot

soontobe Sat 28-Nov-15 22:56:22

I iron on average, 3 items a month.

grumppa Sat 28-Nov-15 23:40:04

Mrs. Grumppa and I never iron sheets, duvets, etc. But I did have a catch-up session today while she wrapped Christmad presents and ironed 32 shirts (there has been a lot going on recently and domestic chores have been overlooked by me). I now feel knackered but virtuous.

ninathenana Sat 28-Nov-15 23:40:22

Facecloths and nickers shockconfused

Coolgran65 Sun 29-Nov-15 00:29:36

I iron all bed linen, the beauty of getting into bed, everything all crispy smooth is wonderful. I also invested in 'good' fitted sheets with a high thread count and the bliss of those, especially after ironing, has to be believed.

Tea towels are also ironed, you can get more into the cupboard that way.

Towels are tumbled, if air dried outdoors then I do iron them. Takes up less room in the linen cupboard.

However I do try to get away with doing less than I used to regarding clothing, it does mean you have to be quick to get them out of the tumble dryer.

A steam generator iron helps a lot smile

Synonymous Sun 29-Nov-15 02:03:01

I iron as little as possible and have recently taken to finishing off DH's shirts in the dryer and quickly putting them on hangers BUT - DH refuses to use tissues and so it is ironing his hankies that drives me nuts!hmm

Maisiemae123 Sun 29-Nov-15 02:20:02

I iron my sheets, pillow case and duvet. I iron most things including underwear. I never used to iron anything but since kids come along I have become more domesticated and I thinks it's Boredom when they go to sleep! Need to get out more!

Nelliemoser Sun 29-Nov-15 04:29:56

Synonymous There is no fIipping way I would iron anyone's handkerchiefs. I would suggest that if he wants to use them tell him to iron them himself. They are not exactly difficult to iron.

J52 Sun 29-Nov-15 05:26:27

I iron bedclothes, tea towels, shirts, blouses, trousers etc!

I love cotton bedding, nothing nicer than cool, freshly ironed sheets!

I do watch catch up TV when ironing and set the ironing time to the programme. DH does his share as well.

x

suzied Sun 29-Nov-15 06:22:15

I used to hate ironing when I was working full time and I paid my cleaner to do it , most of it was DHs work shirts. Now I have a steam generator iron , smart TV to watch , and my DH has retired so there's far less ironing to do. I actually quite enjoy my weekly session watching some programme on catch up that my DH doesn't like, cup of tea and ironing the lovely bedding we've got. It does look so much nicer.

gettingonabit Sun 29-Nov-15 06:48:15

I iron most things still. It's worth it for bedding in particular. I don't iron stretchy cami-type things any more, or leggings/jeggings, but I still do ttowels and towels.

Things look so much better ironed. I can't believe there are people who don't iron (comes out in hives..)

Alima Sun 29-Nov-15 07:13:15

We iron most things except for underwear and towels. We both like ironing, find it quite therapeutic and sometimes it's a rush to get there first. Strange but true!

cornergran Sun 29-Nov-15 07:55:13

I don't but DH does! grin.

Greenfinch Sun 29-Nov-15 08:20:58

I quite like. ironing and so iron almost everything.Do those who don't do it have a tumble drier as that would make a difference?I don't so there is no way l couldn't iron shirts that come in from the clothes line.

hildajenniJ Sun 29-Nov-15 08:46:31

I've taken a leaf out of DD's book, and now iron far less than I used to. I still iron my DH's work shirts and trousers, and anything for smart wear. As for everyday clothes, bed linen etc., then no I don't, I take them out of the dryer as soon as they are finished, fold them and put them in the airing cupboard. I used to enjoy ironing, not any more!

Stansgran Sun 29-Nov-15 09:01:25

I like ironing pillow cases and tea towels and handkerchiefs. Someone up thread mentioned a frozen shoulder. That happened to me and now DH supports the local economy by taking shirts and duvet covers to a local ironing place with the lovely name of Crease Relief.

granjura Sun 29-Nov-15 09:30:40

J52- glad to hear your DH does his share. My (Swiss and French) neighbours are horrified that he does his own shirts ;) When we retired here he just said one day, leave my ironing, only fair that I do it now I have time- and he does, hurrah.

tinaf1 Sun 29-Nov-15 09:34:38

I also started doing ironing for my mum when I was about 13 she hated it and still iron almost everything, I catch up with all tv programmes I have downloaded so I quite enjoy it

TerriBull Sun 29-Nov-15 09:46:34

Ironing is a bore but some of it is necessary. I did do all the ironing before my husband retired but we now split it 50/50. I agree with others you don't have to iron everything these days, leggings certainly wouldn't benefit from being ironed, but I think shirts/blouses, depending on material can look crumpled if they aren't. As far as bed linen is concerned, I only iron the pillowcases, I'm tending to buy more fitted sheets of late and I don't think ironing them is necessary. I don't tumble duvet covers but hang them out on an airer and find the creases drop out. All my bed linen is white or cream. I think creases don't show up so much on white material.

It's interesting to read GNs varying views on ironing!

J52 Sun 29-Nov-15 09:51:04

My dear departed aunt used to iron pants. She said it killed any left over bugs!! Ants in the pants are one thing, but bugs?!
grin

x

granjura Sun 29-Nov-15 09:58:17

Bedbugs perhaps? As many men/boys used to sleep in underpants?

My mil was a very tough cookie- but she had to to keep that family together. Dad served in the medical corps during WW2 in Italy and Africa- and was never the same. When the boys where young teenagers, she go them nylon school shirts so they wouldn't need ironing. DH asked for some 'proper' shirts for Xmas and that he would iron them himself- anything to avoid those nylon shirts- and same for his sheets. Cool crisp top quality cotton, you can't beat it- and ironed of course.