Gransnet forums

News & politics

Rolf Harris verdict

(34 Posts)
sunseeker Fri 04-Jul-14 13:21:02

Just heard he has been given 5 years and 9 months.

Iam64 Sat 05-Jul-14 09:09:30

That's a good point sun seeker.

Anniebach Sat 05-Jul-14 09:19:02

Was the letter to the father not in reply to a letter or telephone call to the father?

Ana Sat 05-Jul-14 10:40:02

when, what you actually said in your post of 2nd July at 16.25 on the other Rolf Harris thread was:

"Sex offenders need at least three years inside to go right through a full treatment programme, with a decent period of probation supervision after to ensure any treatment needs that were unmet can be imposed."

That's what I was referring to.

Ana Sat 05-Jul-14 10:42:07

Although I take your point that some offenders can complete certain parts of the treatment quicker than others and that every offender's profile will be different.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 05-Jul-14 12:08:31

I'm not sure any treatment could stop it coming out in really different old age. That's why I said he'll need watching. And probably will be.

whenim64 Sat 05-Jul-14 13:04:29

Sorry Ana you're right. I put that clumsily. I didn't mean that the whole three years is needed for every sex offender - if they get a long sentence, the calculation that decides how long is spent in custody is what counts (so the starting point is that a sentence that gives at least three years in custody is better), and the programme manager will prioritise those who need to get on it straight away so it's not disrupted by imminent release. Some sex offenders who are very dangerous will go through tests and assessments but might not necessarily join the programme, as a partially treated dangerous sex offender's risk rises - they learn more dodges than ways to control themselves when they find what the authorities are looking for - they are the ones who are put under close surveillance and heavily supervised if they're released.

On the subject of denial, it's been found that denial is not significant either way in determining whether a sex offender is still high risk. Sounds iffy, but it's because there are so many different reasons to deny, some of which can be undermined quickly after sentence. Shame, fear of lost reputation, instructions by lawyers, difficulty believing that he's done any harm, fear of prison and vigilantes/violence, being scared that the consequences will mean loss of loved ones, belief that what he did wasn't actually an offence and so on. The media do stir up the public about denial and remorse, but they don't have direct contact with the offender and don't know what his thoughts and feelings are about what he's done. The judge only knows what information he's had up to the point of sentencing and a sex offender won't tell the people who do his reports exactly what he did for fear of getting a heavier sentence. Afterwards, the judge often receives feedback about the progress of the prisoner., and they use that in an educative way to inform how they sit on future cases.

Agus Sat 05-Jul-14 13:08:16

I am absolutely not condoning what RH has done but I personally think people like him are mentally ill and should be in a Mental Institution as opposed to prison. They are and always will be a threat to society and no amount of treatment would assure me it would be worth the risk of releasing them into society.
If even one got through the loop of treatment and monitoring, it's one too many.

bohonanna Sat 05-Jul-14 13:54:10

I feel that it is far too short a sentence, what about the "sentences" he has made his victims serve? As the mother of two grown up daughters I cannot imagine what it would be like to find out many years later that your daughter had been assaulted and furthermore had felt unable to confide in her mother, let alone anyone in authority! It would be devastating! One good thing about Rolf Harris is that if he does ever get out, he will be instantly recognisable by all generations of at least Europe, Australia and New Zealand!