Gransnet forums

News & politics

McCann troll commits suicide

(67 Posts)
Grannyknot Tue 07-Oct-14 09:00:58

What a sad story this is all round. I happened to catch the Sky News broadcast where Brenda Leyland or "sweepyface" (her Twitter name) was "doorstepped" and asked about her 4000-odd vicious tweets implicating the McCanns in the disappearance of their daughter. She was clearly shocked at having been caught out. Intriguingly, she sounded "normal" and "posh", lived in a nice house in a village. Days later she committed suicide, and I was pretty shocked when I heard that.

This is a good article about people who live in a "fresh air lacking, web-dependent, screen-chained world". It's warped world for many, for sure.

www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-case-of-brenda-leyland-and-the-mccanns-is-a-thoroughly-modern-tale-of-internet-lawlessness-9778262.html

The other thing about that Sky news insert that made me flinch on behalf of strangers, is that they had screenshots of a facebook page discussing the McCann's and "ordinary" people who had posted on there had their photographs displayed on the screen and their names and comments read out. Ouch!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 09-Oct-14 14:04:55

ja That is nothing like stating categorically that this person was categorically mentally unwell. I sometimes wonder why I bother to post anything on here. hmm

And I also said somewhere that even psychologists have difficulty in distinguishing between a mental disorder and a personality one. I certainly wouldn't presume to diagnose that!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 09-Oct-14 14:09:39

Just out of interest, if you had fallen into this trap - and no, I know Gransnetters wouldn't, but just imagine - and the Sky reporter had door stepped you, what would have been your reaction? Would you have found a tree and hanged yourself, or just carried on and lived it down? Or even found another way, such as moving to another district?

Maybe it would depend upon how strong you were mentally and emotionally.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 09-Oct-14 14:23:49

That post wasn't only addressed to janea btw.

janeainsworth Thu 09-Oct-14 14:24:24

So 'mentally unbalanced' is nothing like 'mentally unwell'??
So sorry jingl.
I'll really try to interpret your posts more carefully in future <goes off grovelling>

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 09-Oct-14 14:26:45

Suit yer flippin' self. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 09-Oct-14 14:32:51

Apologies for mixing the two deaths up. The hanging was the murderer of the young girl. This lady died in an hotel room.

FlicketyB Thu 09-Oct-14 15:01:18

Were I to do something as nasty as this and be found out, I would move house. But even if I was tempted to do something like this the thought of the reactions of close family members and friends if it came out would keep me on the straight and narrow.

Rowantree Thu 09-Oct-14 15:04:44

I'm with jingl and others on this one. I'd hazard a guess that some of us have in the past done things they now feel deeply ashamed about. Whilst it's not excusable as such, I'd err on the side of compassion. For whatever reason, she made wrong choices and got carried away, without thinking through the consequences - or maybe she was unable to do so. As jingl rightly says, it's not easy to distinguish whether someone has a mental health problem or an unfortunate character trait. It's a continuum, and even psychiatrists often find it difficult to tell. I speak from experience: my mental health diagnosis has been debated and discussed at nauseum, whilst I continue to wonder whether I am simply an unpleasant and subhuman individual for having the thoughts and feelings I have, who is finding that knowledge painful to accept.
As to the alleged killer of Alice Gross, we might never know the truth, but in this country people are presumed innocent till proven guilty. Try telling that to the lynch-mob media!

sunseeker Thu 09-Oct-14 15:35:37

I agree with Rowantree that we all have done things which we wouldn't want others to find out about - but how many of us kept doing those things for several years? As I said before I regret the death of this woman and feel utmost sympathy for her family but she was obviously an educated intelligent woman who chose to join in a campaign of hate towards a couple she had never met who were suffering the loss of a child.

nightowl Fri 10-Oct-14 14:13:50

I am truly not obsessed with Brenda Leyland, but someone I know who is far more interested in this than I am has just told me about the level of abuse Brenda Leyland received on the Internet from supporters of the McCanns. You may say she asked for it by posting in the first place, but the level of abuse directed at her was shocking. She was threatened in the most graphic terms with rape, torture, and murder, all within the last few weeks. I believe the post mortem did not come up with a cause of death, so I really hope these people who called themselves 'the kind, caring supporters of the McCanns' are being sought by the police and ruled out of inquiries.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 10-Oct-14 14:17:34

O M G! shock

Bloody technology. Is it worth it?

janeainsworth Fri 10-Oct-14 15:10:02

No, I wouldn't say she asked for it Nightowl. sad
Two wrongs don't make a right, and the internet has given free rein to the sort of people who support vigilantism in real life.
The due processes of law haven't kept pace with the speed at which cyber-technology has developed.

Iam64 Fri 10-Oct-14 19:16:13

I wonder what research is going on into the individuals who hide behind the internet to express such dreadful threats and abuse to others.

I feel for BL's loved ones, to find your mother/sister/friend has behaved like this, and then taken their life is beyond words.

thatbags Fri 10-Oct-14 19:37:40

I agree, iam, about the horror of finding someone close to you has committed suicide.

I'm wondering now whether whoever found her, or any close family members, had any inkling of her trolling activities before what she had done became public. Or, to put it another way, I wonder if anyone close to her was totally surprised when her trolling became public knowledge or wherher they were aghast.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 10-Oct-14 19:41:15

I wonder how many people she had really close to her.

WandaDoff Fri 10-Oct-14 22:12:47

Log of the tweets from her account