Gransnet forums

News & politics

Two-year old kills his mother in Idaho

(54 Posts)
absent Wed 31-Dec-14 05:02:25

A toddler on a family outing to Walmart found a loaded gun in his mother's bag and shot her. This tragic horror is not just about ridiculous gun laws , such as why the hell did she have a loaded gun in a supermarket, why was there no safety on the gun and why does anyone, except law enforcement, have a concealed gun licence (she did), but why little boys, in particular, have this obsession with guns. My grandsons pick up sticks and use the hobby horses' sticks and baseball bats as "guns" and my daughter reckons all little boys do that. She's probably right – but what is putting it into their heads in the first place? Films, television, Nerff guns in toyshops? Ironically, the Sheriff and a Lieutenant stated that "This shooting appears to be accidental". The poor little chap was two, for God's sake.

vampirequeen Wed 31-Dec-14 07:25:09

Did they think he was Stewie out of Family Guy?

It's a tragedy for the entire family. Imagine how that child will feel when he grows up and learns that he killed his own mother.

soontobe Wed 31-Dec-14 07:48:14

I dont know what puts it into their heads in the first place.
My boys watched very little tv before they started using lego for bashing. Ditto cardboard boxes etc.
They were at playgroup from 2 and 1/2 but it wasnt encouraged there.
My personal opinion for what it is worth, is they have a grr feeling inside them. And I am going to say that I think that the grr feeling is stronger in boys than girls[I have boys and girls].

I am going to put another controversial view.
A lot of parents dont approve of plastic swords and the like.
Are they the same parents or different ones, who think of soldiers as heros?

soontobe Wed 31-Dec-14 07:51:20

I agree that the gun laws in the USA are ridiculous.
Who ever thought it was a good idea that you can literally buy bullets at the same time as you buy your food.
Or who needs 10 types of guns in one house. 1 for every room I suppose?

She may have had the gun in her bag because she was going to buy bullets.
Dont know why it was loaded.
I dont know if she was in an unsafe area, or even part of a gang, or her partner part of a gang - I dont read or listen to much actual news.

A tragedy heaped upon many tragedies in that country.

annodomini Wed 31-Dec-14 08:24:21

I heard on the radio that this young woman was a research scientist of some kind, so evidently had a brain, but a misguided one.

ninathenana Wed 31-Dec-14 08:39:36

I assumed she was carrying the weapon for protection but why no safety catch.

soontobe Wed 31-Dec-14 08:48:37

I dont know anything about guns and safety catches.
Could it have been faulty?
Or she forgot?

soontobe Wed 31-Dec-14 08:49:42

I am not sure you can get a gun mended at Walmart. But perhaps she was on the way to a gun shop afterwards?

Soutra Wed 31-Dec-14 08:54:17

You do come up with some confused suggestions!

NfkDumpling Wed 31-Dec-14 08:54:20

Poor little lad. What has it done to his life. I wonder who the family will blame and how they can manage to overcome it.

Surely no mother would take their child shopping in a dodgey area. She's in a car, she'd have driven to somewhere safe to shop. I just cannot comprehend the need many Americans have to carry guns. Let alone loaded with the safety off.

Brendawymms Wed 31-Dec-14 08:59:19

The safety should have been on, it must have been off and anything in her bag could have triggered it. Doesn't seem possible does it, the poor family must be distraught.

The child of two is so not to blame for anything.

NfkDumpling Wed 31-Dec-14 09:05:55

Of course he's not to blame - but this is a family who carry loaded guns. Who knows how their reasoning works.

absent Wed 31-Dec-14 09:09:02

Some hand guns – particularly Glocks, I think – don't have safety anymore.

Iam64 Wed 31-Dec-14 09:56:20

Too dreadful isn't it.

What is it about the USA and addiction to guns

soontobe Wed 31-Dec-14 10:02:46

It seems to go back centuries.
And most people have several. Across all income brackets and types of people.
Isnt it because supposedly, if the Government goes rogue, the people are ready? hmm

Soutra Wed 31-Dec-14 10:50:38

Another confused !!
"Centuries" ago it was a pretty lawless place and even in the UK swordsticks, ladies' miniature pistols, wonderfully misnamed "life preserver" stcks etc have all made an appearance.

Agus Wed 31-Dec-14 11:14:09

Oh, that's horrific! Poor little boy.

I would imagine it's a catch 22 over there whereby people feel a need to carry protection against the rest of the gun toting population, one of whom may take a pop at them in one of a variety of scenarios.

GillT57 Wed 31-Dec-14 11:33:31

There was a strange statement on the news that the woman had a licence 'to carry a concealed weapon' whatever that means. This is a true tragedy for the family and for this poor child

TerriBull Wed 31-Dec-14 13:37:31

What a tragedy, and how awful for the little boy it will be a lot to come to terms with when he is old enough to understand he unwittingly caused his mother's death.

I can't really understand why she would have a gun in her handbag, kids of that age are into everything, particularly riffling about a handbag. Having shopped at those out of town malls by the side of the road in the US they didn't come across as dangerous places to me.

glammanana Wed 31-Dec-14 13:58:58

Soontobe Most parents I know don't like plastic swords but we can't stop our children or grandchildren copying what they see in everyday life or on TV when they are allowed to watch it.
As to swords making Soldiers Hero's I think you may have to look at our History and use of The Sword right back to Saxon Times,Swords are now a great part of the Ceremonial Dress for our Serving Forces and should be preserved as part of our History.
I feel so sorry for the family concerned this sounds like a tragic accident that shouldn't have happened.

janerowena Wed 31-Dec-14 14:09:42

I was quite anti-gun when I had my son, none were allowed in the house, his nursery school didn't have any, no books with them in, I wasn't making a big fuss about it but relatives were told firmly, no guns in any form.

When he went to school, coincidentally they too were very anti-guns. When he was six I kept on finding sticks in his pockets, I asked what they were and he said they were secret guns, they could only play with them when the teachers weren't looking. I gave up at that point. Now he's in the OTC, after years of having been a cadet. Something about weaponry just seems to capture their imaginations.

I can understand some americans needing guns, those who live in bear country, for defence, perhaps. Or against snakes. I do understand that it would be almost impossible to forbid people living in the wilds to give up their guns, but that's such a tragic story. Hopefully it will teach people to be far more careful in future. For a year or two, anyway.

Tegan Wed 31-Dec-14 14:30:39

I agree with Agus; it's a problem that just feeds itself. I have to be honest here and think that, had the Australian siege happened in America someone in the cafe would have just shot the gunman [it was a passing thought and I'm ashamed of myself for thinking it].

TriciaF Wed 31-Dec-14 16:39:57

Surely this case will make them tighten up their gun laws, it's so obvious that they have become too careless about carrying one.
As for a child of 2 could have the aggressive streak and understand what guns were for, I don't think so. I remember buying a toy set of tiny guns for our 2 boys when they were about 8 and 9, but they were more interested in water pistols and the fun they could have with them.
Can you still buy them now?
BTW, their Dad had a shotgun which I always hated, but it was locked up in a cupboard.

Tegan Wed 31-Dec-14 16:44:39

No; it won't make them tighten up their gun laws sad.

Anya Wed 31-Dec-14 16:45:33

soontobe why is soutrapulling funny faces at you? confused